Show me the GURPS!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 4, 2020 2:20 am
I would like someone to show me how to play GURPS. I don't mind doing a Play By Post solo play, in fact that might be easier on the learning curve! :)
Feb 4, 2020 3:02 am
What a cool System. GURPS 4e? Also - - why GURPS?
Feb 4, 2020 3:38 am
GURPS 4E, and why...I've mastered a number of games but this one seems to elude me. I have asked a few other people to help me understand the game, but they've either flaked or ignored my questions. I am determined to get it down so I can also have another source for creating campaigns.
Feb 4, 2020 3:44 am
I would love to watch this, as a silent peeping tom. I've been curious about GURPS since about 1994, but remain woefully ignorant.
Feb 4, 2020 3:51 am
I don't mind. I just need someone to commit to it. ...and stifle the urge to rant...hehe.
Feb 4, 2020 3:57 am
I have the books sitting on my shelf right now. It’s a game of many things...a grand toolkit of potential complexity
Feb 4, 2020 3:57 am
What sort of questions?
Feb 4, 2020 4:06 am
Some of the simplest. Like character building. Interpreting all that notation/shorthand so I could understand how to build a character from scratch in any genre. It got me confused on my own, thus the need for a walk through the system.
Feb 4, 2020 4:47 am
Sadly, I've decided to stick with 3rd edition revised. The changes 4th edition brought did not wow me enough to warrant the purchase fo a new edition IMHO, especially since one of the main change was an option already discussed in the Compendium I...
Feb 4, 2020 4:52 am
Is there any real difference in the editions?
Feb 4, 2020 5:31 pm
umbraldragon says:
Is there any real difference in the editions?
In 4th edition, HP is now calculated using ST while fatigue now uses HT instead of the other way around...
Feb 4, 2020 8:10 pm
I see, that does make a difference.
Feb 4, 2020 9:23 pm
GURPS 3rd Revised Core was the first one I ever had. It was a beat-up copy that I got back in 2014...the year I essentially got into rpgs. However, I did purchase the two core books for 4e...and @kalajel your reasoning is sound for sure. At the time, I just figured I'd go with the newest edition like I normally do.

GURPS is like this...I'd love to develop and run a setting in it, but man would it take a while. There is a great appeal to me to have a system that can literally quantify everything or almost everything. However, I question whether or not I have the time to devote to such an undertaking... I mean, I suppose if it was a work in progress and sort of a mutual thing...it could work. Idk. I ended up gaming with Savage Worlds as my go to "tool box" type of system. On one extreme I saw GURPS...the other something like FATE and I feel Savage Worlds is somewhere between.
Feb 4, 2020 9:43 pm
Ok, so let's say I want to create an investigator, set in a cyberpunk setting. I'm thinking three power levels: Gritty (lowest, but better than avg human), heroic (mid-range, but obvious expertise in a handful of skills) and Cinematic (Hollywood, hard to kill, excellent skill set.) What point levels would you suggest for character creation?
Feb 4, 2020 11:20 pm
For Gritty realistic probably around the 75 point mark. Heroic possibly 100 and Cinematic around 150. Of course, that's just a general stab at it, but that's what I would shoot for.

Gritty being more realistic...like Noir detectives or some sort of Bladerunner deal. Heroic being more fantasy related? And Cinematic would be more like superheroes or something from the Matrix in my mind. :)
Feb 4, 2020 11:46 pm
Great. I was wondering what the range would be on a game in that genre. I assume that the levels would be customized according to genre and style of play.
Feb 5, 2020 3:32 am
So here's the first attempt to create a character using the Gritty level of play. It's hosed! However, going through the steps really requires some facility with the game to begin with. Mind you, I'm only using Basic Set Characters. Here it is Workup Sheet
Feb 5, 2020 4:50 pm
Looking good! Yeah, making a character is one of the best ways to get up to speed with a system.
Feb 5, 2020 5:43 pm
I will run a GURPS game if there's interest. For some reason I can't tell if someone's offered this yet or not.
Feb 5, 2020 7:49 pm
No one has offered. There was a mention of 3E being preferred by a few, however I'd like to stick to 4E, never having played so unbiased.

After that character, which I feel I made a royal mess of, I have some questions. I'll start with these:

There is a nomenclature here that I find confusing.
Language
(English)
[0]

What do all of those mean?

Second Question
How do you calculate Perks and Quirks? I saw them listed at the end of Advantages and Disadvantages.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.