Alone 001

Feb 5, 2016 6:19 pm
Test... Only one of you should be able to read/comment here right now. Please let me know if you can.
Feb 7, 2016 6:51 am
Got it.
Feb 7, 2016 5:58 pm
Okay perfect. So instead of playing Matt through PMs, we'll just have it all take place here. Later on if others join back up with him or whatever, either those players will be given permission to see and post in this thread, Matt will be folded back into the main thread, or maybe a new thread will be made altogether; we'll play it by ear.

I'm gonna just go ahead and post that PM to you here. So this is basically Matt's thread for the time being.
Feb 7, 2016 6:00 pm
Matt starts looking around through the slats of various boarded up windows and notices that the house, at least as far as he can tell from the rooms he's seeing, appears to be empty. Creeping around the building, however, there appears to be signs of forced entry at the house's back door, as well as some barely distinguishable footprints around the ground.

As Matt turns to head back and report this to the group, a short but powerfully-built man in a blue t-shirt stands before him with a shotgun pointed at his chest.

"The cows always come home, eventually," the man says with a sneer. He nods in the direction of the ajar back door. "Mooooove it."
OOC:
The penalty for Matt's failure is that he has been separated from the group.", this gains no bonus dice from them when taking further risks.
Feb 7, 2016 11:31 pm
Matt puts up his hands and smiles. "Thank God you're alive! We just had a wreck down the road, and we were looking for shelter! Some of our people are hurt - can you help us?"
Feb 9, 2016 5:44 am
"Oh don't worry about that... We'll take care of your friends alright," the blue-shirted man says. "Get your ass in the house or I'm gonna make a hole in your guts that'll make your friends' hurts look like jack shit."

From the direction of town you begin to hear moaning. The man glances in that direction for a second and a worried look crosses his face. "Hurry up."

Supplies: 4
Zombie Clock: 2-1= 1
Feb 9, 2016 6:31 am
"OK, OK" Matt heads into the house.
Feb 9, 2016 3:48 pm
The blue-shirted man leads Matt into the house. A kitchen is off to the left and Matt sees another man standing at the ready. He's tall and lean with long, stringy brown hair and sunken cheeks pockmarked with acne scars. He's holding a claw hammer in his right hand, and there's mudges of fresh blood on the linoleum floor and the Formica countertops. Directly ahead is a flight of stairs leading down into a basement. The blue-shirted man jams the barrel of the shotgun into Matt's lower back before he can take in much more detail than that and says "Downstairs."

The tall man follows you both down. "Tie him to the pipes, I'll keep you covered," says the man with the gun, and the tall man pulls a wadded up ball of red and black electrical wire out of the pocket of his filthy jeans.

This would be Matt's chance to either comply or resist. Bear in mind if he attempts to resist, he is of the "Sneaky" archetype, so if he is going to do something sneaky it should be believable. If he chooses to resist by any means other than as his archetype's sneaky allowance, he must take dice from the group's supplies pool to roll with. It will not be mentioned to the rest of the group directly.... If they notice missing supplies, it will be assumed Matt grabbed them before he left to check out the house. Also this is not cheating; even though Matt is separated from the group and can't benefit from extra dice from those that would normally be able to help him, there's no rule saying separated survivors lose access to the supplies pool).

Zombie Clock: 1
Feb 9, 2016 4:53 pm
OOC:
Would it be permissible to say that Matt has useful items secreted on his person? This is not the first time he's been in dire straights like this, and he could have a pair of mini wire cutters on him that he tucks into a pocket of his sleeve...?
In the meantime, and to distract from his sleight of hand, Matt will try some sneaky persuasion. "Hey, man, you've got quite an operation here. But tell you what - I can help you get some more 'cows.' They're just down the street, and I could tell them that everything's OK and call 'em inside. Can't get more of them if I just disappear."

Matt tries to take in as much detail of the basement as possible. If they do tie him up by the hands, he's going to sneakily turn his wrists so that they're not flat together, but edge on, with the wrists not lining up (so that he will then be able to get some give by twisting his arms and sliding his wrists together after the tying is done). If they do tie up his body, lashing him to the pipes, he's going to sneakily inhale deeply and grab his wrists so that his arms stick slightly out from his body (so that he will then be able to get some give by exhaling and relaxing his arms).
Feb 17, 2016 4:33 pm
Matt is lead down to a basement, a typical non-torture dungeon-looking thing of any basement ever was. It has an ugly brow mustard colored shag carpet, some cheap wood paneling tacked to the walls, a family entertainment center and sofas sit in one corner next to the stairs, and the walls are lined with numerous bookshelves full of books which, from your quick glance, seem to be heavily biased towards aviation, WWII, and war aviation history. On the wall opposite the stairs coming down is another room, and even further down is a second room. The blue-shirted man gestures in the direction of a metal pole in the middle of the room with the end of his shotgun, "Hands over your head with your fingers laced together behind the post, asshole."

http://i.imgur.com/LPyavRV.jpg
OOC:
I would say trying to talk your way out of this bind would be a skill more suited for a Clever Survivor, so if Matt tries to use that tactic he will not get any dice for his archetype nor from assistance from others (obviously). He may try it but he'll have to take dice from the supplies pool to roll.

I would say that making small adjustments to his bindings to facilitate an easier escape would definitely be a sneaky maneuver and I would allow the 4d6 to be rolled for this attempt, but again, no extra dice for aid from others, though you may take more dice from the supplies pool if you want.

If you would like to be in possession of a small wire cutters, which I assume Matt's going to try and palm, that's allowed as well. In this case it would cost you 1 supply die from the supplies pool. This die isn't rolled on your next Risk check, but is considered a +1 tool. From that point on, as long as Matt is in possession of this +1 tool, he would get a +1 bonus any time he uses it for a task; meaning essentially that he succeeds on a roll of 5 or 6 when using the tool, as opposed to needing to roll a 6 to succeed.
Zombie Clock: 2
Feb 22, 2016 8:47 am
OOC:
I will say that he has wire cutters from supplies. That reduces supplies to 3, yes?
Matt does as instructed, attempting to set himself up for an easy escape later, as described.

Rolls

Being sneaky about being bound - (4d6)

(6442) = 16

Feb 22, 2016 5:10 pm
OOC:
Supplies were at a 4, and you reduced them to a 3. I'd probably make note on your character sheet that Matt has a pair of +1 Wire Cutters, in case they come in handy in the future. As you succeeded Matt's risk check, you can narrate Matt's escape any way you want. If you want to add some details to the circumstances, that's within your narrative power. If the two men were killed during Matt's escape, that's your call as well. If a player passes a risk check, they narrate what happens...

However, the bad news is Matt's only successful die was his fear die... To quote the Shotgun Diaries rule book:
Quote:
If you ever choose your Fear Die as a success, you must use your action to hide, run away or otherwise save yourself. Your friends on the other side of that door? Lock it. There’s zombies, too! And they can’t get in here!
OOC:
So that needs to be taken into consideration when creating Matt's sneaky narrative.
Supplies: 3
Zombie Clock: 3
Feb 22, 2016 5:14 pm
OOC:
I'm going to wait a bit and see how your narrative affects the other characters before I post the events from their perspective.
Feb 22, 2016 5:22 pm
OOC:
Also, bear in mind that Matt can begin to hear what sounds like the muffled moaning of the dead outside. That or maybe it's just the wind. Or the wind blowing the muffled moaning of the dead outside...
Feb 26, 2016 9:21 am
OOC:
OK, it's been tough for me to come up with something that is solely sneaky - the system is really making me stretch my creativity! Here's what I'm thinking - you make suggestions/corrections if there's anything that needs to be modified.
Matt pretends to be terrified and defeated (which is not difficult), slumping against the pole after Clawhammer binds his wrists behind him. Shotgun relaxes a bit, and smirks at Matt. "You came to the wrong place, boy!" Shotgun sneers, but then the sound of the approaching zombies catches Shotgun's attention. He tells Clawhammer: "Watch him for a minnit; I gotta make sure I closed the door up tight. Don't start without me!" Then Shotgun leaves up the stairs.

Matt has been busy in the meantime. He's seen where the light switches are, and figured out how many steps it'll take him to reach them, while using the wire cutters to snip the wire. He calls Clawhammer over to mask the noise. "Hey, man, what are you gonna do to me? Please don't hurt me!" He didn't count on this attracting the goon, but it does. The man approaches, grinning wickedly. As soon as he hears Shotgun rattle the door upstairs, Matt figures that he has a few seconds. He looks terrified, but then looks shocked at something over Clawhammer's shoulder. When Clawhammer turns to see what it is, Matt has brought his arms down, grabbed the edge of his coat, and brought it up and over his head, shrugging out of it as he places it over Clawhammer's face. "Gotcha!" he mutters loud enough for Clawhammer to hear, and then drops down as Clawhammer inevitably swings the hammer at him. Clawhammer hits the pole instead with a loud clang. Matt lunges across the room and switches off the lights, plunging the basement into darkness. "See you, sucker! I'm leaving up these stairs!" Matt calls loudly from the stairway, and he hears Shotgun upstairs saying "What the hell?".

Matt then slips to the side in the darkness as Clawhammer tears the jacket off of his face. Clawhammer only sees the stairway, partially lit from above, and runs to it. But as he starts up the stairs, Matt yells from the darkness behind him: "Stop him!" Shotgun sees a dark form starting up the stairs and shoots Clawhammer with both barrels. Clawhammer falls back into the darkness, badly wounded, and Matt grabs the hammer from the floor. He can hear Shotgun reloading above, so he calls out "Oh, shit, you got me, bad!" and then immediately steps to the side. Shotgun fires down the stairwell, blasting Clawhammer again, who is pretty certainly dead by now. Matt steps silently up to Clawhammer's body while Shotgun reloads again, his feet squishing in the spreading pool of blood. :::Damn, he's still got ammo!::: Matt thinks, then walks quickly along the hallway opposite the stairs, feeling the wall with his hand. He can feel that he's leaving wet, sticky footprints on the carpet as he goes.

Shotgun calls from upstairs: "Gubba, are you OK? Did I get him?" When he reaches the first door, Matt walks in and feels along the wall, hoping that it's a bedroom. He finds the light switch, squints, and flicks on the switch. There's a lamp on a desk and a bed. "Gubba, is that you?" Shotgun calls from upstairs, momentarily seeing light in the distance downstairs, dimly lighting the body at the bottom of the stairs, half covered by Matt's jacket. Matt flicks off the light again, sneaks over and unplugs the lamp. Shotgun calls again "Gubba, answer me!" Matt locks the handle on the door but doesn't close it, slips off his bloody shoes and says "He killed his friend but he won't find me here!" as if he's talking to himself, but loud enough for Shotgun to hear some of it. Then Matt throws his shoes in the corner, which makes a faint thump noise. Then Matt moves quickly and silently back into the basement along the opposite wall from the one he just followed (so he doesn't step in his bloody footprints). Shotgun says "You bastard! I'm gonna kill you! You think I can't just turn the light on??"

Matt arrives at the sofa and jumps behind it just as Shotgun reaches the bottom of the stairs and turns on the light. There is a very tense long moment which is actually less than a second while Matt waits behind the sofa to hear what Shotgun is going to do. But Shotgun takes the bait, following the bloody footprints down the hall and to the door of the bedroom. "I'm gonna blow your head off, you little piece of..." Meanwhile, Matt has run up behind him and Shotgun's sentence is cut off as Matt smacks him in the back of the head with the hammer, reeling him. Matt shoves Shotgun into the room and slams the door. He dodges out of the way as the first shot hits the door, and is already running back to shut off the basement light again. He can hear Shotgun screaming obscenities and crying in the dark, knocking stuff over as he tries to find his way to the door in total blackness, his head still spinning from being hit with a hammer. Matt reaches the top of the stairs and looks for a weapon, but all he can find is a big bottle of olive oil in the kitchen - somebody has taken the knives and hidden them someplace else. Matt takes the oil and just has time to pour it on the top three stairs when he hears the basement bedroom door slam open again. "Hahaha! You dumbass! I think I'll just let the zombies in to eat you!" Matt taunts from the top of the stairs. "Are you crazy??!" Shotgun yells, sounding frightened for the first time. Matt waits until he can just see movement at the bottom of the dark stairs and he steps to the side toward the door. He hears frantic footsteps on the stairs. "Don't you dare open that door, you bas-" then there's a loud thump, a crunch, the shotgun fires, and Matt hears the man's body tumble all the way down the basement stairs.

After waiting a few moments and hearing nothing further from downstairs, Matt rubs his wrists and looks to see if there are ways he can barricade this house better. All that noise is sure to have attracted the attention of some zombies...
Last edited February 26, 2016 9:28 am

You do not have permission to post in this thread.