Mutant City Blues

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 20, 2020 9:58 pm
Ten years ago, the world changed. Or, rather, one percent of people changed, and the world was forced to keep up with them.

The first symptoms appeared on January 12th. Around the world, people from all walks of life experienced flu-like symptoms: nausea, headaches, muscle aches, and fever. Patients flooded emergency rooms and walk-in clinics. Panicked news correspondents rushed to the assumption that a global, drug-resistant influenza pandemic had begun, even though the illness proved fatal to no one.

Eleven days after their onset, on January 23rd, all symptoms went away, nearly at once. The mystery illness became known as the ‘ghost flu’, named for its sudden disappearance and lack of lasting effects. It wasn’t until months later that the first mutant powers manifested. They appeared to do so randomly, around the world. The only thing they had in common was that they had all been struck by ghost flu. Half the sufferers of the ghost flu eventually manifested powers.

There was a tsunami of predictions that were proved wrong in the following years. There were no police states that persecuted mutants. There were no mutant terrorists. Even the most radical politicians had relatives that were mutants now. And although the ghost flu did not return, somehow, the powers spread. Since the outbreak of ghost flu 1 in 10 people have manifested powers.

But like I said, the world has had to keep up. That's why you, the graduating class of the Heightened Crime Academy are here at the 2nd Precinct. Some of you are mutants. Some aren't. Either way, you've decided to serve the public in the face of people committing the same age-old crimes in some very creative new ways. We'll need your help. But sitting here listening to me isn't going to help you or anyone else, so go see the duty roster and get to work!
OOC:
If you join, your character will be a member of the Heightened Crimes Investigation Unit (HCIU), an elite police squad set up to deal with crimes which involve mutant perpetrators. Your character has probably already accumulated experience while serving in other detachments, such as robbery-homicide, special victims, gang units, organized crime control, vice, or narcotics. Your character is most likely a heightened individual, although they might be one of the a few non-heightened individuals with sufficient expertise to be accepted without these abilities.

The game uses the GUMSHOE ruleset. Your character is defined by what he or she can accomplish in an investigative scenario. The component elements of each ability don’t matter in rules terms. The rules don’t care if your Forensic Accounting ability is one part native mental acuity to two parts training or vice versa, although you can mention them when describing your character to others. All that matters is how you solve cases, and overcome other obstacles arising from them.

I'll be taking a max of four players who can post at least three times a week. I don't have any preference for new or old players, but please, apply only if you can commit to stick it out for at least one entire case.
Last edited February 20, 2020 9:59 pm
Feb 20, 2020 10:01 pm
I'm definitely interested! The setting sounds interested and while I haven't played Gumshoe yet, I've been in a Bubblegumshoe game that was unfortunately abandoned. I should definitely be able to keep up with 3/week.
Feb 20, 2020 10:05 pm
It's the same basic system, but with mutants! It's pretty fun.
Feb 20, 2020 10:24 pm
I'm interested in giving this a shot, and I shouldn't have any problems keeping up with a 3/week posting rate.
Feb 20, 2020 10:35 pm
I've sent invites out. Two more spots left.
Last edited February 20, 2020 10:53 pm
Feb 21, 2020 1:47 pm
I'd be interested, although I know nothing about GUMSHOE. 3/week would be no problem.
Feb 21, 2020 5:39 pm
I'm also interested! I've read lots of Gumshoe material but never actually played. I know the basic idea, but will need some guidance on actual play, especially for non-clue-based task resolution (like fighting or whatever).

I'm actually in another game with Kaigen and bowlofspinach that is moving along at a slow-but-steady clip. I hope they won't mind being in another game with me, as long as there's still space.
Feb 21, 2020 5:54 pm
Looks like you are full. If you have an opening later, keep me in mind.
Feb 21, 2020 6:58 pm
Machiabelly says:
Looks like you are full. If you have an opening later, keep me in mind.
Me too, I'm sorry I missed it this time around.
Feb 21, 2020 7:40 pm
I think I'm going to go ahead and grab all of you. But NOW we're full.
Feb 27, 2020 3:21 pm
Mutant City Blues is great! Big fan of GUMSHOE, and I played an excellent 2nd edition MCB game at GenCon last year. No worries since you're full, but glad to see more people trying it out!
Feb 27, 2020 3:22 pm
If you have room and want to teach me how, I'd be up for trying
Feb 27, 2020 4:42 pm
We are full right now, but if we get room, I'll let you guys know.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.