4th Edition D&D

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 6, 2014 12:27 am
I'm new here and I'm up for running 4th Edition, if people are interested.

I try to run a collaborative game, meaning I'm not interested in forcing my own plans on the group. I want to give people the game they want to play.

One note: I don't use maps. Partly it's to show people that it's not necessary, even in 4th Edition, but mostly it's because I don't have time to make a map for a scene that might only take a little while anyway. I've been doing this for a while, and it works well.
Dec 6, 2014 3:33 am
Welcome Centauri, glad to have you! I know what you mean about maps; sometimes its really useful, but often it doesn't help as much as people think they will.

I'm sure we can get you players for your game; we're still growing, so might take a bit :)
Dec 6, 2014 4:17 am
I'd be interested! I haven't played any actual D&D yet though, mostly Burning Wheel and Pathfinder.

What days/times would you be running it?
Also, would you be running it via something like google hangouts?
Dec 6, 2014 5:54 am
Thanks for joining us HailHydra. Obviously, only Centauri can confirm, but I'm guessing he's interested in running it via play-by-post here on Gamers Plane, though I wouldn't mind people setting up hangout or live games through the site :)
Dec 6, 2014 3:03 pm
No maps with 4th Edition? I'm intrigued. It's one thing to run mapless, but to run a system that, essentially, is a tactical grid-based combat game, without the grid is very interesting to me. I'm not keen to play, but I would love to see how you do it!
Dec 6, 2014 7:41 pm
Candi says:
No maps with 4th Edition? I'm intrigued. It's one thing to run mapless, but to run a system that, essentially, is a tactical grid-based combat game, without the grid is very interesting to me. I'm not keen to play, but I would love to see how you do it!
That's just it: it's not "essentially" a tactical grid-based combat game. It only has the rules it does because the primary way to enable everyone to contribute equally is for the information about the gamestate not to reside in single person who describes everything. You either need some neutral artifacts, like the rules and a map (maps having been useful in every edition of the game), to which anyone can point and make their case, without bias, or you need everyone cooperating and trusting each other.

I don't dispense with the rules, but I also don't argue them with people. I also don't argue with or double-check them if they say their character moves to a certain location. If they say they do, then they do. I started that way with maps, where I just got tired of counting everything over and over, and of people poring over the map to find the optimal strategy every time.

Anyway, it works fine, even better than I felt the other editions of D&D worked without a map, though that might be because I just didn't trust the other players in those days.

If this gets off the ground, I would welcome readers. If people want, I can post links to a few times I've done this already.
Dec 6, 2014 7:43 pm
Keleth says:
Thanks for joining us HailHydra. Obviously, only Centauri can confirm, but I'm guessing he's interested in running it via play-by-post here on Gamers Plane, though I wouldn't mind people setting up hangout or live games through the site :)
Yeah, I'd probably do it over play-by-post. I've tried doing it real-time online, but I find I'm always plagued with technical and schedule problems.
Dec 8, 2014 1:29 am
I would like to join a 4e game. I have made a lvl 4 warlord named Marcus. http://pdfaid.com/UploadedPdf/n34q4uk0_xps.pdf
Dec 8, 2014 2:41 am
Don't forget Theren, you can make the character here on Gamers' Plane and then share it in the Character Library, which would let anyone else on the site see it.
Dec 8, 2014 6:26 pm
HailHydra and Theren are interested, though HailHydra apparently has no experience with the system. That would make it difficult.

No need to make characters yet. In fact, if an adventure gets going, I'd probably ask everyone to make brand new characters.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.