Looking for Game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 6, 2020 10:38 am
Hi folks, having recently just returned to the site I find myself looking for a game or two outwith the one I am GM'ing currently. I'm interested predominantly in 5E, but have been known to also dabble in freeform style games if the opportunity arises for one. I've posted below several character samples across different game types, more to give you an idea of what to expect from me in terms of my character concepts and writing style than anything else.

If there are any suitable games going looking for a replacement/new player, or if anyone is thinking of starting one and is looking for a player feel free to fire me a message.
[ +- ] Jesnil Zegronn
[ +- ] Valonus
[ +- ] Cain
Last edited March 6, 2020 12:51 pm
Mar 6, 2020 1:11 pm
Well... I technically have a game that is "always" looking for players. Since is easy to... dispose of them, it could be good thing to try if you're looking for something with little long-term compromise until you find some 5e games. I suppose it is a pathfinder adventure but the system is... different ;)

I had a quick look at the character concepts and... they could work with the caveat that they start with no memory and undefined past so... that's that :D
Last edited March 6, 2020 1:12 pm
Mar 6, 2020 1:45 pm
They're only example concepts, I can create something new for the game if you like.
Mar 6, 2020 1:55 pm
I can vouch for CESN's game. It's an interesting and fun rule set.
Mar 6, 2020 3:22 pm
I glanced at your characters and need to ask do you play anything but evil characters? Note the alignment scale goes like this if you did not understand my question.

Good [LG, NG, CG, LN] -- NN -- Evil [CN, LE, NE, CE]

If you are interested in playing a more heroic character (aka Good side of NN) then I have an opening in DnD5e game
Last edited March 6, 2020 3:23 pm
Mar 6, 2020 4:47 pm
DeJoker says:
Good [LG, NG, CG, LN] -- NN -- Evil [CN, LE, NE, CE]
I guess technically they go bidimisional
though 2 are CN and one is... an unnaligned beast :D

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/UItNAGW_zoubrDHOcvDVD5xmYgj0ZqU1cDcufis6DAqdiv3D6So1LdUwzyyJ_fiLbrcs_LjGvA6aCdLafAAEi7H1j74fCMn3_VfhPhNwYzUu9GDvgZqciMOXNc4tcxfM9qRcWcYyfLawyMA
Last edited March 6, 2020 4:49 pm
Mar 6, 2020 4:55 pm
Okay do not understand what you mean by 2 are CN?

Note I have heard all the arguments about Alignments and participated in some of the debates for many a year and I long ago (DnD2e) pushed alignments to a personality trait altering or removing them from my games so that they were no longer used as some magical measuring tool

That being said I again prefer to run heroes which I have thus defined as those having a personality trait of either LG, NG, CG, or LN and I stopped debating it -- if someone asked I simply shared the Alignment Balance Chart with them as its the simplest means of stating my point without debating it. As per that Alignment Balance Chart (which has never changed since get go) CN, LE, NE, and CE all fall on the evil side of NN and with NN being extremely difficult to play by most I chose not to deal with it either. That is my preference and nothing more -- I have played evil before and I found nothing redeeming it so I have since chosen not to run it which in turn did eliminate a major headache with the game and to me that is fine -- however I do not say that every GM ought to do this nor do I say every player has to do this -- I only say if you want me to GM be a hero per my very loose definition of it
Last edited March 6, 2020 5:00 pm
Mar 6, 2020 7:06 pm
@DeJoker I don’t really see CN as being evil more than selfish per se, but that’s just my opinion. But yes, to answer your question I can play whatever alignment character suits your game.

@CESN, your game looks pretty cool, I’m definitely interested in that and will start putting some ideas for a character together.
Mar 6, 2020 7:48 pm
Okay how quickly can you step in and have a character ready to go -- my 2nd group can take one more player but the area all about done with character creation -- otherwise I can put you in queue until I can get 2 more players and then start another game for you all

My Queue resides here
Game Forums > Games Tavern > DnD5e Adventuring into the Unknown -- Open

Either just post a you are interested there and let me know there how which option you want to try fast-track character creation or normal track character creation ?
Mar 6, 2020 7:52 pm
I always thought neutral meant.. well, NEUTRAL.

LG, NG, CG, LN, NN CN, LE, NE, CE

Maybe that's just me.

I don't want to debate either. Different people interpret & play these alignments differently, or ignore them altogether, and that's okay.
@Evil_Dedd, one of my D&D5e games, "The Savage Sea," is open. My main requirements from players are active participation, a sense of adventure, and a sense of humor.
Mar 6, 2020 8:05 pm
Well, I understand DeJoker's scale from a logical perspective: isn't the root of evil self above all else?

What would be the inherent difference between a character who is selfish and impulsive and "neutral", and one who is selfish and impulsive and "evil"?

I think at some point, they are pretty much the same thing. Perhaps in a given situation, one faction may term a person one or the other depending on the side or faction that the chaotic person is supporting. Even though D&D makes the distinction, I don't think there is a good argument for a true distinction between a chaotic neutral person and a chaotic evil person. The actions that result are the same in both cases.
Last edited March 6, 2020 8:06 pm
Mar 6, 2020 8:06 pm
Yeah me old school back when Alignments were more than a guideline there were engraved upon your character and mechanics all wrapped around and woven into them. So like I said way back in 2e I moved them to a personality trait (before those even existed) and removed the mechanics associated with them. And while they are a personality guideline I have found over the years that I have a lot less headaches running my games if I restrict those personality traits to the 4 I denoted --- in fact the two I have had THE most trouble with are NN and CN as they often get played NE and CE with no G anywhere near them.

But still I believe its a personal preference and nothing more -- I could care less what you play in someone else's game and I can role play my character fine along side those alignments because then its not my headache to deal with ;)

Further to me its a matter of perspective for instance in one country I am viewed as a noble privateer while for the opposing country I am viewed as a despicable pirate one is considered a good guy and the other an evil guy
Last edited March 6, 2020 8:08 pm
Mar 6, 2020 11:33 pm
HeroAmongMen says:
What would be the inherent difference between a character who is selfish and impulsive and "neutral", and one who is selfish and impulsive and "evil"?
I think the idea is that selfish is evil, not neutral. That’s the problematic misconception about CN, they don’t have (probably shouldn’t) be selfish. But yeah, you should just ignore alignments altogether and just play your character ;)
Mar 7, 2020 7:39 am
@DeJoker I’m interested but it’s unlikely I’ll have a character ready in the next day or two so I’ll put myself down in the queue for your next game.

@Jabes.plays.RPG - lighthearted nautical shenanigan? Count me in :D
Mar 7, 2020 7:44 am
The_Evil_Dedd says:
@Jabes.plays.RPG - lighthearted nautical shenanigan? Count me in :D
Cool! Sent you an invite.
Mar 7, 2020 11:18 pm
I'm trying to launch a sort of meta "gamers-in-a-game" concept using Cypher system rules. If that sounds intriguing, I'd love to have you try it out. Check the Games Tavern for 'Rabbit Hole'

You do not have permission to post in this thread.