Interest Check: Space 1889

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 9, 2020 5:59 am
I’m going out on a limb here to see if there’s any interest in a Space 1889 game. I’d be using the newer "Ubiquity" rules rather than the original rules, which though I love them are very difficult to wrap one’s head about.

Space 1889, is straight up the grand daddy of steampunk...
Quote:
Until the year 1870, the history of our world pretty much identical to that of the universe of Space: 1889. That year, however, inventor Thomas Edison succeeds in developing the Ether propeller which makes space travel possible. Accompanied by Scottish adventurer Jack Armstrong, he launches the first expedition to Mars, resulting in a crash landing that leaves the ether ship severely damaged. Their way back home seems to be obstructed forever.But, shortly after, the two adventurers discover Mars is already inhabited by intelligent lifeforms, who in the distant, legendary past, have built a gigantic network of canals on Mars, to channel the precious water of the poles to the desiccated regions along the equator, for Mars is a dying world that is slowly running out of water.

Almost 20 years later: The European colonial powers are racing for profitable trading posts and colonies on the inner planets of the Solar System. Brits, Germans, French, Russians, Americans, and even the Japanese have long since staked their claims on the surface of the distant planets. England is governing the crown colony of ‘Syrtis Major’ on Mars, and has already fought some skirmishes and even some real wars with the neighbouring realms of Martian canal princes. The Germans, accompanied by their chemical industry, have taken the lead in the exploration and colonization of the swamps and jungles of Venus, occupying a strategically important position with their capital of ‘Venusstadt’ in the high plateau of the Kaiser Wilhelm Mountains. The Germans have had a head start since the unusual magnetic field of Venus defies the special qualities of liftwood and even destroys it entirely after a few days’ time. The German ether ships are based on Zeppelin designs and thus are superior to the British liftwood flyers under Venusian constraints.
The game will begin in the American Southwest, The Arizona Territories to be precise, on a train headed to San Francisco...
Mar 9, 2020 12:43 pm
I am interested, however, I hadn't heard of the ruleset before this post so I have no experience whatsoever with the system. I like the setting from what I read though.
Mar 9, 2020 2:20 pm
There’s a free quick starter, the first few pages go over the rules super quickly, then there’s an adventure, then at the back are a bunch of character ideas.

1889 Quick Starter...
Mar 9, 2020 2:31 pm
I took a quick glance through it and would be up for trying it out.
Mar 9, 2020 2:51 pm
We’ll see if we can’t get a couple more players before I commit.
Mar 9, 2020 4:15 pm
You can count me in!
Mar 9, 2020 8:21 pm
I am interested
Mar 10, 2020 12:19 am
That seems to be enough for a start. I’ve created a page for us to start working in. The game will likely be more RP and less combat.

Space 1889 - Torn from a Penny Dreadful...
Mar 10, 2020 3:23 pm
Looks interesting.
Mar 14, 2020 8:51 am
Count me interested, gentlemen.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.