5th of 4th for a new old DM and old new players?

Feb 15, 2016 4:16 pm
Looks like I'm going to be DMing for the first time in, oh, about 17 years.

I wrangled up a couple of friends for an IRL D&D group, my first in almost two decades, and they agreed on the condition that I DM. Okay. I haven't played since 2nd edition. Here's my predicament – nothing dire, but I am looking for thoughts and input:

The players know 4th edition pretty well, but I have heard that there are a lot of problems with it.

What I've heard of 5th sounds like it'd be easier for me to pick up, as a guy who knows 2nd Edition, and that it's a better system overall. I like the advantage/disadvantage mechanic a lot, at the least.

They do know a some of 5th edition, so it wouldn't be the worst, and we have all the game materials (books) for both editions.

So....do I ask them to bone up on 5th ed rules? I'm learning/re-learning from scratch either way though I feel 5th ed might be easier.

And how do I frame the request nicely? "Although I don't have familiarity with either, I'm leaning towards 5th ed – I think it'll be easier for me to pick up as I've heard it is similar to the oldschool mechanics – while giving you guys the best game experience (based on reviews I've read of the two systems). I'm glad to hear you guys have some experience with it; I wouldn't want to bully you into learning a new system from scratch. That said, I'm not set it stone about it...but it is what I'm thinking."
Feb 15, 2016 4:24 pm
Keep it simple. How about... "I'll DM 5e, here are the rules..." They already told you that you have to DM. It's not rude to tell them which system it's going to be.
Feb 15, 2016 4:30 pm
I agree with Moofsalot. Players and GMs often forget that the GM needs to be having fun too, and that the GM's preferences should carry as much weight as the players' (if not more!).

I'd recommend printing out the D&D 5e Basic Player Rules. They are available via the WotC site for free. Print out enough copies for each of your players, hand them out. 4e has its detractors and its adherents, but I think the learning curve is a bit longer than with 5e. 5e was specifically designed to be easy to pick up, and to appeal to players of older editions.

Good luck! If you ever need a place to bounce ideas around, I'll recommend the DMs-Block forums: http://dungeonmasterblock.freeforums.net/

Oh, and they have a podcast too, lol. The Dungeon Masters Block. Full of great, relatively edition agnostic D&D advice and inspiration.
Feb 15, 2016 6:52 pm
Yeah, that's a good point. I do think I'll ask them to get a refresher on the basics and we can all stumble through the first session or two and then review if we like how it's playing!

Also I love the term "relatively edition agnostic"
Feb 15, 2016 7:02 pm
I have never played 2nd edition, but as I understand it 5th edition is just a revamped 2nd edition using modern game design sensibilities, but it pulls inspiration from all editions of D&D. 5th edition is easy to pick up, has solid core mechanics, and has an emphasis on storytelling. The game tries to be broad and appeal to every type of gamer, this causes it to be very few peoples favorite RPG, but it is a game that almost everyone enjoys. I heard someone say "5th edition is everyone's 2nd favorite edition of D&D."

Most fans of D&D hated 4th edition, however it is actually a really well designed game, it is just very different than the rest of the D&D line. 4th edition is a tactical combat game first and a roll playing game second. 4th edition is all about miniatures and combat maps, it borrows a lot of ideas from MMOs like World of Warcraft.

I would strongly suggest that you sit down with your players and discuss what type of game you want to play. But instead of framing the question as "what edition of D&D do you want to play" I would frame the question as "what type of RPG would you like to play." Try to figure out what your players really enjoy about RPGs and then find the system that will do all of the things your players like the best. You might even find that the game your group really wants to play is not an edition of D&D. Dungeon World, Burning wheel, torchbearer, stars without number, fate, Fantasy Flight Star Wars, there are a lot of really great games out there if you and your players are interested in trying them. Whatever system you use just make sure everyone is excited about it, including yourself.
Feb 16, 2016 12:15 am
Fennec says:
Most fans of D&D hated 4th edition, however it is actually a really well designed game, it is just very different than the rest of the D&D line. 4th edition is a tactical combat game first and a roll playing game second. 4th edition is all about miniatures and combat maps, it borrows a lot of ideas from MMOs like World of Warcraft.
Funny thing is I tried 4th edition with my group, and I was the most critical of it in the beginning, but ended up enjoying it more than everyone else. It is important to note that while I enjoyed myself, not once was I under the impression that I was playing D&D. Oh yeah, when we had to go through skill challenges I absolutely hated this part, but if your DM is not a stickler for the rules like mine was, you can easily take that out of your games. In the end, I think the biggest problem of D&D 4th edition is that it bears the name D&D but absolutely does not feels like D&D...
Last edited February 16, 2016 12:15 am
Feb 16, 2016 4:08 am
Admin note: moved to a more appropriate forum
Feb 16, 2016 2:29 pm
I love 4E because it is the battles are tactical and maybe more video game like to me. Yes battles do take forever, however with some home brewing you can make them shorter. As a dm I have yet to do a skills challenge but I have heard them being done well. Also 4e you need to have a map no matter what. I run a 4e campaign currently and having a good time with it.

5e can be done in the mind. I have tried it here and so far it is good. There is things I don't understand about it but then again I am not the dm, so i just jumped in. Didn't read the rules or anything. If i have a question i just ask the dm. The worst things so far was making a character because the way they setup the book it was confusing.

Honestly i would ask the players wether they want to play 4e or try 5e. Just do a vote. Both have pros both have cons.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.