Newcomer CoC session interest check

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 13, 2020 9:38 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about running a beginner friendly session of CoC using the scenario called The Haunting and I was just checking to see if any players who never played CoC before would be interested in trying it out. We would be using the quick-start rules which can be downloaded legally and for free here (just don't read chapter 2 as a player).

The game will have about 3 or 4 players and you'll be investigating a possibly haunted house in 1920s Boston.

You are not required to be a fan of lovecraft or a huge horror fan to try this out.

This will also be my first time running as a keeper both a group and for pbp. So we'll probably all learn something here.

So, if there's anyone here that's interested in trying out CoC, please let me know.

Thank you.
Mar 13, 2020 11:31 pm
Just finished reading chapter 1 of the quick start guide. I'm interested to give it a try!
Last edited March 14, 2020 2:07 am
Mar 13, 2020 11:47 pm
I'm interested in trying out the system. I haven't read any Lovecraftian mythos before, is that fine?
Mar 14, 2020 12:41 am
saevikas says:
I'm interested in trying out the system. I haven't read any Lovecraftian mythos before, is that fine?
That is perfectly fine. You don't need to know anything about lovecraft to enjoy CoC. Although, if you end up enjoying CoC, I'd be willing to make recommendations.
Mar 14, 2020 3:10 am
Good to see another CoC GM joining the ranks. I ran The Haunting here a couple of years ago. I wish you well with it!
Mar 14, 2020 3:15 am
Knifesedgegames says:
Good to see another CoC GM joining the ranks. I ran The Haunting here a couple of years ago. I wish you well with it!
Thank you, fellow keeper. From the looks of things, I just need to wait for 1 or 2 more players and then the game can begin.
Mar 14, 2020 5:33 am
Meeeeeee. I've never played though
Last edited March 14, 2020 5:33 am
Mar 14, 2020 4:19 pm
Just brainstorming, so I'm open to change, but here's a possible character concept I had. Details could change, but here's a rough idea:

Wealthy dilettante obsessed with trophy hunting

Skills: art/craft (taxidermy), ride, firearms, language (french), charm, natural world, track, stealth.

Personal interests: science (biology), survival, listen, spot hidden.

Doesn't really believe in ghosts/demons/monsters, but if they do exist, wants to be the first to kill one. What an addition to his trophies!
Last edited March 14, 2020 4:22 pm
Mar 14, 2020 4:36 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
Just brainstorming, so I'm open to change, but here's a possible character concept I had. Details could change, but here's a rough idea:

Wealthy dilettante obsessed with trophy hunting

Skills: art/craft (taxidermy), ride, firearms, language (french), charm, natural world, track, stealth.

Personal interests: science (biology), survival, listen, spot hidden.

Doesn't really believe in ghosts/demons/monsters, but if they do exist, wants to be the first to kill one. What an addition to his trophies!
We'll see once I set up the game. Keep in mind, though, that you and the other players will have to agree on a certain group theme or connection which will explain both why you're working together and why you're the ones investigating this case. For example, you all could be private detectives, amateur sleuths, journalists, friends of the landlord, something like that.

Also, if you guys do end up picking something like private detectives or journalists, that doesn't mean you have to pick private investigator or journalist as your occupation. You could pick another occupation that your character has done or studied previously. For example you could be a private investigator who's a former police detective or a journalist who's a former professor, something like that.
Mar 14, 2020 5:01 pm
For sure, I was just brainstorming. I'll definitely make sure whatever character I settle on makes sense within the scope of both the group and the scenario.
Mar 14, 2020 5:13 pm
By the way, is there a skills list? I'm experimenting with character creation on my own, and saw that the quick start rule encouraged making your own occupation, but it didn't have a skills list so I could build an occupation.
Mar 14, 2020 5:14 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
For sure, I was just brainstorming. I'll definitely make sure whatever character I settle on makes sense within the scope of both the group and the scenario.
I'm glad you're already coming up with ideas. I just wanted to make sure you knew that before you got too set on a particular idea.
Last edited March 14, 2020 5:27 pm
Mar 14, 2020 5:32 pm
saevikas says:
By the way, is there a skills list? I'm experimenting with character creation on my own, and saw that the quick start rule encouraged making your own occupation, but it didn't have a skills list so I could build an occupation.
You can see the list of skills on the character sheet itself after you first save.
Mar 14, 2020 5:39 pm
Cool. Probably will have to look up what some of these actually mean though, like Natural Wonder and Psychoanalysis.
Mar 14, 2020 5:54 pm
saevikas says:
Cool. Probably will have to look up what some of these actually mean though, like Natural Wonder and Psychoanalysis.
I don't know about natural wonder, but psychoanalysis allows you to treat temporary insanity for a while.
Mar 14, 2020 6:05 pm
Hmm, so psychology would be for like, understanding people's motives and stuff like that, right?
Mar 14, 2020 6:08 pm
saevikas says:
Hmm, so psychology would be for like, understanding people's motives and stuff like that, right?
Exactly, as well as figuring out whether they're lying or hiding something.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.