Book 1, Chapter 3: Blood and Bones

load previous
Feb 19, 2021 5:51 am
Harragh just looks at Thousand Bones for an uncomfortable amount of time, and though his face remains passive, the tension within him is obvious. Just as it reaches the point where someone else would say something, he gives a deep sigh and a grunt, and starts removing armour from his arms. As he does, extensive tattooing becomes visible, clearly Shoanti in origin.

Once these have been fully revealed, he looks at Thousand Bones, and in a voice utterly devoid of tone or inflection, as though its absence can hold back the maelstrom within, he says "I have been told these markings are sacred, and yet..." he pauses, takes a deep breath, and continues. "Why was I abandoned here?" The last two words finally see some emphasis, almost spat with venom, and the tension of potential violence in the room is unmistakable.
Last edited February 19, 2021 5:53 am
Feb 19, 2021 12:51 pm
Abe listens closely, hears her tiredness. He takes the wand and examines it. "This is very valuable, I think. It might make a real difference to us. Thank you, love."

"I've got money, we've managed to pick up a few rewards. The city is in shambles, riots and mayhem. We're trying to do what we can to help it from getting worse. I'll need to keep doing that. Having you safe makes everything worth it. Will you stay? Take care of each other?"
OOC:
Abe is considering using some of the reward money to get a house or shop nearby. Maybe that's renting it for a year, or purchasing it. I've no idea what that might cost. If it's more than 500gp, which seems likely, he would want to rent a place for the two of them. If she's staying.
Feb 21, 2021 12:42 am
Abe: Zuuna looks at Abe for a moment, her expression unreadable before she bursts into laughter. "Stay? I got nowhere else to go, silly. Look at you moving up in the world: Acadamae first, now you're working for the Watch I hear, next thing you know they'll put up a statue or name a street after you!"
OOC:
With a 500gp cap, rent is the option. There's Trail's End on the far NE corner of the map, it's a Varisian settlement so rent is cheap and you'd fit in with the locals. Downside, it's outside the city walls and features a Sczarni (think Varisian Mafia) gang. They provide security much like community militia but are also into vice and crime related activities. Other options would be Old Korvosa, the poor part of town. With some luck, maybe something in Midland near the West Port around Zellara's home or up in Northpoint where Trinia's flat was.
Harragh: You can sense Cressida Kroft tensing in the background, but Thousand Bones narrows his eyebrows as he calmly attempts to focus on the designs on Harragh's arms. "I know little of this as Squoan-Quah. My clan tends to the dead, honours the spirits of our ancestors and hunts undead abominations" he begins, "but I will tell you what I see. Those were made by the Shundar-Quah, the Clan of the Spire. They act as mediators between the Shoanti clans, brokering peace pacts and ceasefires in hopes of one day uniting all clans but for now preventing us from slaying each other while the Orcs of Belkzen and Korvosans await to pick off the remains."

The old shaman pauses with the tone of someone realizing they got caught up on their ramblings and lost track of what they meant to say. "That there on your left arm is Drimiil, rune of the Guardian Heart. On the other arm is Kokip, the Sentinel rune. Your clan shaman marked you as a stalwart protector and resilient during your coming of age ritual, strong enough in body and mind to lead others. I cannot tell you what happened or who to ask about it. I know the clans will sometimes accept outsiders as honorary members, but never those with the blood of our enemies, orcish or Chelaxian."

He lets that last part sink in, giving Harragh some space to process everything and reach his own conclusion. Being a half orc, he was more or less aware that not both his parents were Shoanti, but hearing it all now is like the final pieces of a puzzle falling into place, revealing the bigger picture. Did his mother hide who the real father was or what had happened? Did his father know? Is either his actual parent? Did they adopt him as a baby or present them as their own? Did the clan know? What happened during the fighting to show his orcish heritage? And did his family willingly leave him behind or were they forced to?
Feb 21, 2021 3:26 am
Abe will prepurchase two months lodging for her in a good inn as nearby as can be had, expecting to pay 2.5gp per day including meals unless there is a discount for extended time. He'll need to research a longer term plan of finding them a house to rent or buy.
Feb 21, 2021 7:22 pm
"Drimiil, Kokip...hmmm Harragh rolls his shoulders and starts to put his armor back on absentmindedly, deep in thought.

"So I will need to question these Shundar Quah then? If they will respond to one of my blood." He fingers his tusks as he says this last. Then he cracks his neck and continues.

"Thousand Bones - make sure it is known far and wide within the Shoanti that it was one of my blood who did this. The Shoanti will need to start judging people by their deeds rather than their blood."
Last edited February 21, 2021 7:24 pm
Feb 21, 2021 8:46 pm
"Oh yeah, uh bishop Keppira d’Bear. I hear he's a hairy guy. Because he's a bear..." Tider doesn't know how to deal with positive reinforcement or the church.

The church is the weirdest thing to Tider. They saved him for reasons he still doesn't understand, given they worship a death goddess and he was pretty damn near death when they found him. It is also about as close to the polar opposite of what he grew up with as you can find. Nevertheless, they were there for him when literally no one else was so he's got their back.

"Look uh, if you need anything from me, you just let me know. You can usually get a hold of me through miss Kroft at the guard."
Feb 22, 2021 10:56 am
Abe: Looking to avoid the top-tier (and somewhat overpriced) lodging options in Korvosa, Abe decides to settle for the Wise Dragon Inn, an above-average establishment in the wider University district that he knows often provides long-term arrangements for students who haven't yet managed to secure housing in the Acadamae. He himself remembers rates to be 2gp per night, but upon returning to the Inn with Zuuna, he is able to make a deal for 1,5gp per night, meals included, as apparently the extended lockdown of the Acadamae has begun to put pressure on the establishment's prices.
OOC:
That'll be 90gp for two months' worth of lodging, please remove it from Abe's pouch on his sheet.
Harragh: The shaman looks at Harragh with a piercing gaze as the paladin puts his armor back on. "It shall be known that you returned my grandson's remains and allowed him to join his ancestors. But acceptance does not make you family. I thank you again. And I am sorry for what happened."

Tider: The acolytes at Pharasma's temple chuckle at Tider's words, pretty sure it's another of his jokes given that it is public knowledge that the bishop is female and second to only the arch-priest of Abadar in terms of religious power in the city. Upon mentioning his connection to Cressida Kroft though, he is provided an interesting chunk of information and perhaps a minor task to go with it. These last couple of days, it seems, High Priest Ornher Reebs of the Temple of Asmodeus has been sending out his priests to collect a single vial of blood from as many of Korvosa's citizens as they can. Donors are given a single gold piece as a token of thanks and compensation, but it appears everything is done following orders of the Queen herself. As the Pharasmins point out, it is weird that the Queen would undertake such an initiative, let alone command the Asmodeans to see it through, but it is something they cannot investigate or openly question as it would likely spark religious tension. Thus, Tider is asked to keep this "blood collecting" in mind and try to fish for information while around those of the Korvosan Guard.

Only a few days later, the rumor spreads across Korvosa like wildfire: The trial of King Eodred's assassin has been concluded. Trinia Sabor has been found guilty and will be publicly executed for her crime. The execution it is not an affair to be missed and indeed Cressida Kroft sends word to all of you asking to attend, although she has to be up with the officials. Kroft's message requests your presence as "faces in the crowd" mentioning that she has a very bad feeling about this and a fear that something big might go down, perhaps another riot by the bloodthirsty crowd.

On the day of the execution at the public courtyard in the shadow of Castle Korvosa, the toast of the town is in attendance in garish gowns, fine capes, and enough jewels to blind the common citizen. The overall feel of the event is that of a grand ball or party, not an assassin’s public execution. Queen Ileosa emerges amid a great flourish and pomp as heralds announce her arrival with a fanfare of music and drums.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/pathfinder/images/0/04/Ileosa.jpg
She has, it would appear, fully accepted the mantle of sole monarch now, and carries herself with poise, style, and grace. She wears a green and white silk dress worth thousands of gold coins and is attended by a small army of striking guards. Chief among these is one clad is in a striking brand-new suit of full-plate armor with a closed helm sporting a flowing crimson plume.
https://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/240146/GrayMaiden.jpg
Ileosa takes her seat in a high throne-like chair at one end of the public courtyard, while a guillotine stands ominously at the other. The executioner is a towering, muscular man wearing an executioner’s hood and idly holding an immense axe. Whispers ripple through the assemblage—admiring comments on the queen’s attire, predictions regarding how the traitor Trinia might comport herself, speculations on the identity of the armored guardian who stands at Ileosa’s side, and even the occasional gossip about some folks assisting the authorities restore order in the tumultuous weeks following the king's death.

As an ominous drum beating begins, the gawkers fall silent. The drum sets the pace for Trinia’s procession to the executioner’s block. As they reach the block, a guard removes Trinia’s shackles and the hood, revealing a very frightened woman who bravely holds back her tears. Trinia is led up to stand before the guillotine, her arms bound behind her back by a leather cord as Queen Ileosa addresses the crowd.

"Fellow Korvosans! You have suffered greatly these past few weeks. Homes have burned, family members have died, and fortunes have been lost. I feel your suffering, for not only have I lost a beloved husband, but with each act of anarchy that followed, my heart bled more. This has been a trying time for us, yet the torment is at an end. Before you is the source of your anguish and pain. Do not be deceived by this murderer’s timid nature—she is a black-hearted assassin. I offer you her death as a salve against the hatred and hurt you have suffered. And so, without further delay, let us usher in this new dawn with justice! OFF WITH HER HEAD!"

Yet just before the executioner forces Trinia into the guillotine, the man cries out in pain as a hurled dagger embeds itself in the back of his hand. As the executioner’s grip on Trinia falters, a cry echoes through the crowded courtyard: "By the gods! It’s Blackjack!"

An instant later, a man dressed in a hooded cloak and black mask springs up to Trinia’s side. Using a dagger, he cuts the bonds on Trinia’s wrists and then throws the same dagger down to pin the executioner’s left foot to the wood platform. Korvosa's mysterious vigilante hero and defender of the downtrodden then turns to address the shocked crowd.

"Yes indeed, my queen! Let us usher in justice, but let that be justice for Korvosa, not this shambles you call a monarchy! Long live Korvosa! Down with the queen!"

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/JT_TvNz47Dodx10qBxKXYQaWk0V3eGDgquDZA6akdHtcIvo6Z1KvBWJA0tZbn1b_jFsPzftr9CIlMa_sLLg

The folk hero's rare appearance and fiery words cause the crowd to erupt into action. Some demand that he release the assassin while others call for the queen’s resignation. Queen Ileosa stands stunned for a few moments, whispers something to her armored guard and then quickly turns to flee into Castle Korvosa, the figure and a dozen guards behind her to cover her retreat. The remaining guards in the courtyard move to apprehend Blackjack, but the gathered nobles, thirsty for blood, make it difficult to move. At the same time, the executioner recovers from his wounds and lifts his axe over Blackjack, who seems to have momentarily forgotten the man in his apparent delight at having forced the queen to flee.

What do you do?
Feb 22, 2021 8:13 pm
Inspired by seeing Blackjack rescue Trinia, something he had vowed to do himself, Harragh springs into action, moving as best he can towards the fray, and yelling out "Blackjack, behind you!"
OOC:
I am assuming Harragh is not close enough to intervene directly unless he acquired capability with a ranged weapon.
Feb 22, 2021 8:30 pm
OOC:
The chaos of the crowd makes movement difficult and ranged attacks risky, unless you have a spell that doesn't require aiming, like Magic Missile. That's why I'm not providing a detailed map or switching to initiative. Think of it as an interactive cinematic, so you could for example aid Blackjack by making it even harder for guards to reach him or you can stop Blackjack by aiding the guards and cutting off his escape route. It's enough to describe the general idea of what your character does or says in reaction to the scene.
Feb 22, 2021 8:34 pm
As his companion leaps into making the same choice he wanted, Abe casts a spell. He casts Web across the execution platform, on the executioner in particular, and blocking the path of the guards.
Last edited February 22, 2021 8:35 pm
Feb 22, 2021 11:57 pm
OOC:
Cool, that’s about what I was thinking, so my previous post for Harragh can flow on.
Feb 23, 2021 6:16 am
At the temple: "Right!" He gives the priest(ess?) double finger guns. "Totally! The bishops a chick. I knew that. I don't need to rethink my core assumptions about gender and social standings." He quickly changes the subject. "So what are the rules on a person donating more than once. Also, do they specify that it needs to be your blood? Or like, if I get into a fight and the guy happens bleed into a vial, could I turn that in for a buck? You know what? Don't worry about it. I'll figure it out and report back." More finger guns.
OOC:
At some point we should definately rp Tider sharing that with the group but I want to focus on this now.
At the Execution: Tider feels a wild flurry of emotions that the little elven boy just does not know how to handle. Disgust at the nobles. Grief for Trinia. Hate for himself, because he didn't do enough to save her like he meant to. All of that evaporates into a stupefied awe as Blackjack wings into action. The sheer audacity of it moves Tider to tears. He stares dumbly as the masked man saves the innocent Trinia. It's not until he hears Grey shout that he realizes that he needs to do something. He rushes forward to help, but Abe is faster on the draw and webs up the gallows. Tider looks back and forth frantically. He doesn't know what to do, so he falls back on one of his old go-to's in a crisis; the bald face lie. "OH MY GOD! LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED TO THE QUEEN! EVERYONE GO HELP THE QUEEN!"
OOC:
Not sure if this is a bluff or perform roll to distract a crazed mob. Bluff is plus 8 and perform is plus 5
Last edited February 23, 2021 6:17 am

Rolls

bluff/perform - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Feb 25, 2021 7:15 am
OOC:
Giving this a bit more time in case Shayaan wants to chip in
Mar 1, 2021 11:54 am
Tider's shouting manages to turn a few heads in his immediate vicinity, just enough to distract them from Abe's spellcasting next to him. Harragh's shouting notifies Blackjack of the executioner's presence in time and he is able duck out of the way of his axe just before Abe's Web spell covers the entire platform. Dragging Trinia with him, Blackjack clambers up a hanging banner to a nearby wall and as the two reach the wall, he swiftly drinks some kind of potion. Backlit by the setting sun, Blackjack bows, apparently towards the group, then raises his rapier in salute, hilt held in front of his face and blade shooting up the line of his nose. With that, both he and Trinia leap from the wall to make their escape into the city.
OOC:
Escaping the scene in the overall chaos is pretty easy, so I'm assuming everyone is able to slip out and the party regroups somewhere at a later time. We'll deal with the fallout of the scene, any subsequent downtime and the following events in a new thread, since this wraps up Book 1 of the Adventure Path. Congratulations everyone, it's been nearly 2.5 years since we started and I hope you've been having as much fun as I have!
Mar 1, 2021 6:46 pm
OOC:
Echo the huzzah in earnest!

Thread locked