Noob

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 18, 2016 8:01 pm
Hello all, I was directed to the site by a friend who is trying to lure me into pen and paper RPGs. I've always enjoyed the fantasy genre and look forward to exploring the venue. Back into gaming after a long (25 year) hiatus.
Feb 18, 2016 8:05 pm
Welcome, GamerDad! We have a great community here that doesn't care if you're a noob or not, as long as you're willing to give it a go. :-) A lot of us are long-time gamers here but are either new to play-by-post or trying out new game systems, so noobs in that respect. Looking forward to gaming with you here.

Cheers!
Feb 18, 2016 8:07 pm
Welcome! What were you interested in playing? The hobby has grown substantially in the last 25 years.
Feb 18, 2016 8:19 pm
Welcome, GamerDad! What sort of fantasy are you into? If you like reading, play-by-post can be a decent introduction to RPGs, as it lets you look at it like a book you're helping write.
Feb 18, 2016 8:26 pm
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here. Are there any particular games that you're interested in or just anything Fantasy?
Feb 18, 2016 8:40 pm
Welcome to GP! I hope you are able to find a game soon.
Feb 18, 2016 8:45 pm
Welcome to the site and if you wanted to try other things besides Fantasy there are a few systems to try out.
Feb 18, 2016 10:31 pm
Welcome aboard!
Feb 18, 2016 10:50 pm
welcome!
Feb 18, 2016 11:00 pm
Hey, that was quite a pause. Welcome back!
Feb 19, 2016 1:46 am
lol, nice name. Well, welcome.
Feb 19, 2016 12:59 pm
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
Welcome! What were you interested in playing? The hobby has grown substantially in the last 25 years.
I'm probably going to start out with a play-by-post game. I'm guessing the pace will suit my learning curve. It's been so long since I've done anything like this, so I think I'll spend some time getting acquainted with the site before I jump into the deep end of the pool. Thanks for the greetings.
Feb 19, 2016 1:07 pm
kalajel says:
lol, nice name. Well, welcome.
I've been out of the scene for so long, I can't come up with a witty name - lol. I read my sons' and nephew's gaming references on social media, and realized I didn't want the hobby to pass me by. Thanks again for the welcome.
Feb 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Keleth says:
Welcome, GamerDad! What sort of fantasy are you into? If you like reading, play-by-post can be a decent introduction to RPGs, as it lets you look at it like a book you're helping write.
Thanks Keleth, PbP will be my first attempt at re-entering the atmosphere. I like the typical LotR type fantasy - wizards, elves, dungeons, exploration, scenario driven adventures...I really don't know what's available, so I'll spend some time wandering around.
Feb 19, 2016 1:12 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Welcome, GamerDad! We have a great community here that doesn't care if you're a noob or not, as long as you're willing to give it a go. :-) A lot of us are long-time gamers here but are either new to play-by-post or trying out new game systems, so noobs in that respect. Looking forward to gaming with you here.

Cheers!
That's good to hear! Thanks!
Feb 19, 2016 1:15 pm
Naatkinson says:
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here. Are there any particular games that you're interested in or just anything Fantasy?
I've been out of it for so long, I really don't know what is available. My son's friend and my nephew play Pathfinder, and at least one of them play online, but I was intimidated by the interfaces out there (wasn't raised online). My friend suggested I check out this site and try PbF. I like the fantasy genre, but am not opposed to trying new things.
Feb 19, 2016 1:16 pm
Hello!

Gamer dad myself. My son is turning 5 this summer and is just getting to the point where I think I can begin including him in this most interesting and creative of hobbies!
Feb 19, 2016 1:36 pm
GamerDad says:
Naatkinson says:
I've been out of it for so long, I really don't know what is available. My son's friend and my nephew play Pathfinder, and at least one of them play online, but I was intimidated by the interfaces out there (wasn't raised online). My friend suggested I check out this site and try PbF. I like the fantasy genre, but am not opposed to trying new things.
I'm partial towards D&D 5th Edition and Dungeonworld myself though I've discovered many other awesome games through this community. I suggest you read along, as others have suggested, to see what takes your fancy. If you visit the Forums you'll find which games are available for viewing. There are also forums like General Chat for basically just hanging out, getting to know the members. Finally, when you're ready to join a game you can check out the Games List. THe list allows you to see all games, filter then by game system, or whether they have slots open or not. Alternatively, you can visit the Games Tavern where people go to post open invitations to games they are running. If you need help with anything at all don't hesitate to ask - everybody here is very helpful and just generally awesome! :-D

Cheers!
Last edited February 19, 2016 1:38 pm
Feb 19, 2016 1:47 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
GamerDad says:
Naatkinson says:
I'm partial towards D&D 5th Edition and Dungeonworld myself though I've discovered many other awesome games through this community. I suggest you read along, as others have suggested, to see what takes your fancy. If you visit the Forums you'll find which games are available for viewing. There are also forums like General Chat for basically just hanging out, getting to know the members. Finally, when you're ready to join a game you can check out the Games List. THe list allows you to see all games, filter then by game system, or whether they have slots open or not. Alternatively, you can visit the Games Tavern where people go to post open invitations to games they are running. If you need help with anything at all don't hesitate to ask - everybody here is very helpful and just generally awesome! :-D

Cheers!
That is just fantastic. Thanks for the tips!
Feb 21, 2016 7:03 pm
Welcome, welcome!
Feb 23, 2016 12:41 pm
Welcome to the site! It is a great place to learn new systems.
Feb 25, 2016 12:17 am
Welcome, GamerDad! My son and daughter have both been playing some form of RPG for years, from the natural beginnings of the kid-centric D&D4-based "Heroes of Hesiod" adventure (which I then expanded into a game system I called "Monster Battlers") through diceless RPGs to D&D5 this past year. My son, who is now 12, is running his first game as DM now; his sister and I are playing in his custom dungeon adventure. I can say with absolute certainty that his skills at role-play are WAY more sophisticated than mine were at the same age.

As Jabes.plays.RPGs and others suggested, the Games Tavern thread is a good place to check for games with openings. I may post another game there myself, soon.

With regards to type of fantasy RPG you enjoy, are you more interested in character-driven stories/role-playing, more interested in the tactical elements of combat/solving puzzles, more interested in blowing off steam with humor, or more interested in exploring a game world and the plot of a campaign?
Feb 25, 2016 12:39 am
spaceseeker19 says:

With regards to type of fantasy RPG you enjoy, are you more interested in character-driven stories/role-playing, more interested in the tactical elements of combat/solving puzzles, more interested in blowing off steam with humor, or more interested in exploring a game world and the plot of a campaign?
If pressed to choose, I guess I'd have to pick door #1 of the four. But I enjoy all of the aspects you described. I'm working on developing a sense of humor and wit to aid in blowing off steam.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.