Magic items in DnD5e

Feb 23, 2016 5:39 am
So I'm tempted to start up a game that I've been wanting to run for a while, except it will need good flexibility in magic items. One thing I haven't really been able to figure out is magic items in 5e. I'm wondering if I should instead go for Pathfinder or learn 13th Age...
Feb 23, 2016 12:52 pm
What do you need to know about magic items? What kind of flexibility do you need?
Feb 23, 2016 1:15 pm
Well, from my reading of of the PHB and a recent 6th level char I made, magic items aren't as prolific as they were in previous versions? I don't even see magic items in the PHB. Most with abilities have a use 1 or 2 per short rest? I'm trying to understand magic items so I can figure out if it's the right system for this game idea.
Feb 23, 2016 1:49 pm
Magic items are definitely rare in 5e, they aren't even priced (they occur in the DMG and are also scattered about the published adventures). They are meant to be special by their rarity (from my experience, by level 6, each player should have at least 1, probably 2 or 3). By the rules, they aren't purchasable like in 3.5 or Pathfinder (where magic item shops are relatively common). That said, I'm sure the DMG, which is loaded with variant rules, has suggestions for running a game with high magic item frequency.

Like magic items in most games, they vary dramatically in their internal rules - while most that you've seen are 1 or 2 use per short rest, some are per encounter, some are per day.. wands and staves are interesting in that they are filled with charges that replenish at a semi-random fixed rate per day, but it's up to the player how they manage the charges.

13th age expects players to gain more magic items than they have levels (otherwise the really cute magic item personality rule never comes into effect). It's like this, each magic item has a 'personality influence' (my character has a cloak that boosts intelligence that makes him view himself as superior to those of other races, or something like that - it's been a while since I played him). The personality influence doesn't affect you UNLESS you have more magic items than your level.
Feb 23, 2016 1:57 pm
I need to look up magic items in 5e online again. If I have some examples, I can determine what system is right for me.
Feb 23, 2016 2:01 pm
Well, with the open gaming licence thing, that should be easier :) I'm travelling today, but tomorrow (if you remind me) I can type up a few examples (they are simple enough that I make them up on the fly for players; but then I do that no matter what game I'm playing - balance be damned!).

Some of my Red Hand players have Magic Items. Zaris has a wand of magic missile, Xara has a Giant's Spiked Gauntlet I made up, and Kaiakas has a frost brand longsword (from the book)
Feb 23, 2016 2:24 pm
If you go to the 5e SRD page you will have a lot of magic items to look at. There are more in the DMG, but there are quite a few on this site too.
Feb 23, 2016 11:08 pm
A part of me is thinking that magic item frequency is only as rare as the DM makes it out to be. You would want to pick up a copy of the Dungeon Master's Guide for a list of magic items there; it also has a section on cost for crafting and selling such items.
Feb 24, 2016 4:43 pm
CancerMan says:
A part of me is thinking that magic item frequency is only as rare as the DM makes it out to be. You would want to pick up a copy of the Dungeon Master's Guide for a list of magic items there; it also has a section on cost for crafting and selling such items.
This is my sense, too. The impression I have from the design is that magic items come from the DM, so they're not something that the players need to worry about and are not included in the PHB.

The only instance of this design decision being a problem for me is with healing potions, which are omnipresent in every published adventure (whether from Wizards or from 3rd party publishers) but are functionally hidden in the rulebooks (the indices are pretty bad in D&D5).

You do not have permission to post in this thread.