Tales from the Realms of Sunna

Apr 25, 2020 4:07 pm
So the setting is a Science Fantasy with some Solar-and Lunarpunk themes. It largely draws inspiration from mythologies and franchises like Treasure Planet(movie), Wildstar(mmo), Numenera(rpg) and Titan's Grave(rpg).

The setting has aesthetics from the Age of Sail and the Victorian era (late 1500's till late 1800's) but just picture some clockwork robots and drones possessed by ghosts in order to create artificial intelligence, solar energy and crystal battery energy to power your cities which create a clean and green environment and some cool neon lighting at night, and then plaster some magical jets to a pirate ship and launch it into space.

------------

The fae, which I'm still unsure what they should look like, have a hive-like culture tailored after bees.

There's a queen who can lay eggs without the need of a male; unfertilized eggs create all male babies while fertilized eggs create all female babies(all females except the queen are infertile). After the eggs are laid they are taken to a nursery where the eggs will continue to grow (larvae stage is skipped cause I can't imagine being a proud parent of fat larvae...). When the eggs are about to hatch members of the hive who want to be a parent can pick up an egg and raise it as their own (but the child will always be taught that the Queen is their mother and the adoptive parents are 'nurses/nannies'). Sometimes a new Queen gets born and that's when things get interesting and sometimes even bloody. These new queens can choose to either take the thorn from their mother or move away to form their own hive. People don't really blink if their queen is replaced, what matters is the hive. New queen or old queen doesn't matter who leads them as long as there is a leader to guide them.

Everyone does their part in the hive but maintain their own individuality and mind; so you have farmers, workers, traders, guards, etc... A member of the hive doesn't get to choose what they want to be, however, you are placed where you are needed.

The Fae live in World Trees with which they have a symbiotic relationship with. Without the Tree there world will collapse. World Trees are inspired after Yggdrasil; a tree so large it can hold the very planet within its roots and it does. A sapling will grow on a planet for thousands of years living of sunlight, oxygen, etc...But it won't stop growing until there is literally no room left on the planet for it to grow; so often these trees are larger than the planet. It's a trippy sight to see a tree in the middle of space.

Because of its size, the tree becomes a home to whatever life thrives on it; often living within the bark or roots of the tree. So imagine the inside being an underground utopia of insect life with some magic sprinkled around. The fae farm giant bees for honey and wax with which they feed on, and built their homes with. Beetles are kept like cattle and pets.

There are also sub-races within the tree. There are the Dryad which aren't actually a race but more the defense mechanism of the World Tree itself; pieces of itself shed and given life to make sure the tree grows and fulfills its life cycle. When it's a sapling the tree usually only has one dryad guarding it, but as it grows more and more are created. The dryad are revered by the Fae and seen as messengers from the World Tree; their ultimate deity.

Other sub-races are Pixies; tiny, glowing, mischievous fairies with insect wings and bark-like skin and twiggy limbs. Gnome-sized mushroom folk that live deep in the roots of the trees where its moist.
-----------

The fae communicate using telepathy via their antennae. Their language has a lot of buzzing and clicking noises, hence why they use telepathy to communicate with other races. They have a very advanced sense of smell because they use it to navigate their way through the world; they even secrete their own smells to convey emotions, recognition, and to emphasize their speech but most races will be unaware of these odors other than smelling something random like fruit. They don't need sleep but instead enter a type of hibernation state; triggered by cold temperatures and when they're injuries or knocked out cold.

-------

The fae come from a distant planet with a dying world tree they call Crimm, because the tree has outgrown their planet they are racing against time to find a new home planet with a new tree. So the Crimmsian fae hopped on a few colony ships and sailed across space to find suitable planets to plant the seeds of their world tree in the hopes that it will grow fast enough for future generations. OR if they're lucky, find a large world tree somewhere else and take it for themselves.

They arrived in the Sunna system(solar system of my setting) while the system was in the midst of a war against (insert evil alien). So as a thank you to the fae the races of the Sunna system welcomed them and allowed them to plant a seed on one of the planets, and have them join the (insert alliance between planets).

------

Now when I think of 'fae' I think about butterflies and moths as well. But I wonder if I should just stick with those or add other insectoids? Beetles are animals, so are bees and wasps. Dragonflies I just imagine them being their version of a dragon you can fly on.

What do you guys think?
Don't ask me about stats though cause I plan on making my own system for PbP with no math whatsoever. Simple a d20 dice to answer a yes or no question. and skill levels can help boost your success rate with rolling dice. That's something I'll post another time when I have more info on that.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.