[Interest Check] Zelda in DnD

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 26, 2020 3:00 am
Hey guys, I was just wondering who amongst the hoard here would be down to play in a Legend of Zelda based game through either Dungeons & Dragons or Pathfinder.

I don't have much in the noggin yet for it, since I wanted to gauge the potential audience that would be interested in playing.

I do have, like, five ideas jumbling around as far as how the game could be played.

1) It's run as a solo where the player is another Link and goes through dungeons for the macguffins
2) Same as No. 1 except it's Breath of the Wild but better
3) It goes Four Swords and the four people playing are different sides of Link
4) It's a motley crew of different races stepping up to take the place of the legendary hero that is missing
5) Same as No. 4, but it's also the same as No. 2

The Zelda games have always been a tight twin first between it and Metroid, and Zelda is just ripe for tabletop shenanigans.

So, will there be anyone flocking in like a murder of raging cucoos, or will you snooze on this like Talon? The Triforce awaits your call!
Apr 26, 2020 3:35 am
Any custom Zelda Races like Hyruleans, Lowruleans, Gerudo, etc.?
Apr 26, 2020 12:28 pm
I am familiar with Dnd5e but not so much with pathfinder but I would still be really interested in this. My knowledge of TLoZ is pretty old school. I've played through all of OoT and Majora's but after that I have only ever really played OoS and Twilight Princess. I've been meaning to pick up the ones I haven't played but just haven't found the time.
Apr 26, 2020 10:25 pm
This is an idea I have been kicking around for ages - specifically sort of a 5.

Races are easy if you recontextualize humans as Gerudo, and treat the various flavors of Hylian as half elves and/or elves. The rest of them are easy reskins.
Apr 26, 2020 10:35 pm
Yep yep, you said it Grey! Plus, there are already some of them homebrewed, I would just need to look them over to see if they're fit for play.
Apr 26, 2020 11:38 pm
I might be interested. I will also say, there is a Zelda-based tabletop out called Reclaim the Wild you could check out, if you liked.
Apr 27, 2020 12:25 am
I have it downloaded to read over already, actually. Looking over the character sheet, it's not hugely different. But then again, that's more of if it's decided that everyone wants to do a BotW style game.
May 1, 2020 2:09 pm
I might be interested as well. I think the number 5 (or 4) are the best options.

You can even have Link still existing, just have the characters do things in a slightly lower level. IE, instead of confronting Gannon themselves, they confront generals and 'major' forces.
May 5, 2020 12:44 am
Oh that idea has been though of. I already have a few bits in my head about there being a Link in the world. Particularly one case where he's there, but just very inept.

Len

May 5, 2020 2:13 am
I don't know if you've seen this, but the Dungeon Master's Block just did an episode on doing Zelda in D&D, specifically Ocarina of Time: https://dungeonmasterblock.podbean.com/e/205-console-to-campaign-zelda-ocarina-of-time-feat-jerad-arteche/
May 5, 2020 3:30 am
The inept Link angle might be tough to carry for a whole campaign.
May 5, 2020 4:18 am
How so? He's a background character in that regard.

Also, no I had not! It's been a bit since I've listened to the Block. I'll have to give it a listen later.
May 5, 2020 2:37 pm
It would almost turn the whole thing into a parody to think that every time Link defeated Ganondorf, it was some unnamed bands of adventurers who actually did it and Link just took all the credit for it.

It could work, but yeah, it would turn the whole thing into a parody...
May 5, 2020 4:34 pm
I'm not really interested in a Zelda-like game, but I heard that and figured some of you might like to listen to it...
A podcast from Dungeon Master's Block (#205 to be precise) speaking about Console to Campaign (Zelda: Ocarina of Time)...
Here's the link, have fun guys !!
May 5, 2020 4:58 pm
I'm not interested in this game either but that podcast sounds interested. I'm saving it for later, thanks
Last edited May 5, 2020 5:00 pm
May 7, 2020 10:09 pm
@kalajel Not have him take credit for this story. Just have him be a link in between. There's always some lore or stories of heroes that have battled evil, and I doubt all of them have been Links. Like, if the idea were utilized, players would probably be causing mischief by breaking pits all over town. Hell, it'd probably be a kid Link too.
May 7, 2020 10:12 pm
Additionally, the podcast was informative, but not an end all maker of anything. They did go over homebrewed stuff over flavoring something, but it was more of a passover if anything.

Also, after looking over Rebuild the Wild, that might actually be what I'd use to play. I just need to read a bit more. I love that they have Subrosians in there as an additional race.
May 7, 2020 11:54 pm
Notice of mild interest.
May 9, 2020 4:01 pm
I would definitely interested in this. I'm a pretty big LoZ fan, and I love D&D.
I'd be more interested in either 4 or 5.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.