Things from the Flood - interest and discussion

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 1, 2020 8:54 pm
So... this is a discussion to gauge interest and prep for a "Things from the Flood" game.

What is this?

The game takes place in a 1990s that never was, years after "Tales from the Loop". It's the "new" game in the Loop setting, something like a sequel.

What happened to the science-driven optimistic future from the "Loop"?

The 90s happened. The fall of Communism, the end of the existential threat of nuclear war, replaced by a great and cynical nothingness.

In the game world? What is the Flood?

In 1994, a catastrophic leak in the cooling system beneath the Swedish Loop facility causes hot, brown, gushing water to flood the northern parts of the Mälaren islands. Large sections of the north of the islands are rendered uninhabitable by the contaminated floodwaters, which will require a massive and protracted clean-up effort at a great expense.

You'll play Teenagers in this time of upheaval during the Spring of 1995, and perhaps beyond.

Some of the Teens may be displaced children from the north of the Islands. Some may be resentful kids in the south. Whatever it is, it's a time of vast and crazy changes, in a dark and alternative 1990s - the "alternative" alternative generation X.
May 1, 2020 9:06 pm
More information...

So, like "Tales from the Loop", there are a number of archetypes that you build your character off of. For discussion's sake, here is the list of 'Types from the Flood.

(This is just to get people thinking about these types of teenagers.)

HACKER - computer nerd with the fancy V.34/28.8 kbit/s modem! Dude!
JOCK - the athlete will always be a kid archetype
LONE WOLF - smirk-y, isolated, extra cynical, probably has at least one therapist
MOTORHEAD - the kid with the motorized Vespa who likes it fast and crazy
PARTY ANIMAL - the life of the party (because he or she isn't really hurting inside, right?)
RAVER - like party animal, but really into dark synth music
ROCKER - the kid with the good musical tastes
SEEKER - the kid who actually seeks out truths (like, the truth is out there!!!)
SNOB - the fancy rich kid with the perfect life (ha ha)
STREET KID - the kid from the broken home that lives on the streets (don't stop believing, even if that's the Loop era)
May 1, 2020 9:20 pm
Like I mentioned before, I would love to try some Flood.

I would be most interested in either the Lone Wolf or Snob archetype but I could find another one if others are really into those two
May 1, 2020 9:44 pm
Great! If we get a couple more players, then we can really get it going in earnest, I think.

I think I also gravitate to Lone Wolf, but I find the Snob to be fascinating, especially the examples for "Shame" on the Snob archetype. It immediately sets the tone as very different from the "Loop" era.

(In "Flood", Shame replaces Pride. Teens in the "Flood" take a darker turn from the Kids in the "Loop", and Shame is one example of that.)
May 2, 2020 3:17 am
I have set up a forum, although I'm still figuring out what to add to it (since I don't know what the customs are for this website). I do like the options that I see, so I'm kind of thinking through what threads this game might require.

Please let me know if you'd like an invitation.

In any case, I figure this will be a new experience and a new game for people. I'm definitely willing to go slow and teach.

It's not a very heavy rules game, and is probably on the lighter side of crunch. The heaviness will come in the narrative, though. If you've seen the Amazon Prime series, "Tales from the Loop", you'll get a sense for that story.

Since the game is based in Sweden (and the authors are Swedish), we'll try to inject a bit of Scandinavian sensibility as well, I suppose. (It's not Ohio like the Amazon show, LOL.)
May 2, 2020 5:51 am
This sounds interesting I just started the Loop on Prime.
May 3, 2020 4:13 pm
Okay! Just need one more player who wants to be a Teenager in 1990s Sweden.

(Well, it is a weird retro-futurist Sweden where technology includes sentient robots, magnetrine ships that sail on the Earth's magnetic fields, and a 26km particle accelerator (the Loop) that started to unlock the mysteries of the Universe.)

The game is here:
https://gamersplane.com/games/2526/
Last edited May 3, 2020 4:14 pm
May 3, 2020 4:18 pm
Weekends can be slow here. Many people seem to only like to post from their work computers.

If you don't have a player by tomorrow, and if you're interested, I'll round out your group. (I'm in a lot of games so I don't like to jump in right away, even for a game I'm really curious about, like this one.)
May 3, 2020 5:38 pm
Qralloq says:
Weekends can be slow here. Many people seem to only like to post from their work computers.

If you don't have a player by tomorrow, and if you're interested, I'll round out your group. (I'm in a lot of games so I don't like to jump in right away, even for a game I'm really curious about, like this one.)
Sounds good :)

We have a Jock, a Snob, and I have partially written up a Party Animal as a more active NPC, although I am more than willing to give up that Type for another live player.

I would still likely ADD another more active NPC... although it would be, as the Party Animal, a more Social role for your Main Characters rather than anything else.

(I don't WANT a GM PC who takes over. The Party Animal Type gives me another voice in the narrative, but she's not exactly the Type of character to SOLVE any Mysteries. She helps the Story, but (as she's been constructed) she's not going to clear up the world.)
May 3, 2020 6:33 pm
Never played Loop but, this sounds interesting. Street kid looks pretty cool or the Seeker.
May 3, 2020 7:49 pm
Danyar says:
Never played Loop but, this sounds interesting. Street kid looks pretty cool or the Seeker.
Very good! Welcome to the jungle!

If others would like to join, please let me know! 3 is not a hard number, although an upper limit of 5 is ideal for my own sanity's sake.
May 9, 2020 2:38 am
So a space is open again if there is interest.

I would direct people to the Amazon Prime series, "Tales from the Loop" if anyone wants an idea of tone. This is a slow-core look into Teenagers living in a technological dystopia, set in the Malaren Islands of Sweden (the default setting of the game)... not "mythic Ohio", as the Amazon series is set in.

The Loop project is still at the center, with the Teens being the only ones who can set things right again in this universe.

I believe one would go here to inquire about joining, although perhaps a post here would also suffice.
Last edited May 9, 2020 2:45 am
May 18, 2020 6:47 pm
Hi. I would be interested in giving this a go. I've seen two episodes of the Loop on Amazon Prime... But, if you need a player I'd be down. Either the Seeker or Rocker..? I'm not super familiar with the system, but I like the concept. :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.