Interest check: The Age of shadow

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 2, 2020 1:28 am
I'm curious to see if anyone would be willing to give The Age of Shadow a try. It is a percentile engine based on the Open Quest engine which is available for free on DrivethruRPG (print on demand is still pretty cheap too).

Trailer for The Age of Shadow
GameGeeks review
Runeslinger review
(note, those reviews are a bit dated as there are more products available in the line.)

If that sounds like something which would interest you, let me know. I'm looking for a group of 4-6 players.
Last edited May 2, 2020 1:29 am
May 2, 2020 2:43 am
I'd be will to give a try.
May 2, 2020 3:14 am
Count me interested
May 2, 2020 8:36 am
I can't find much information on the world. Is there anything that sets it aside from the usual standard Tolkien-inspired world?
May 2, 2020 8:56 am
I've been feeling more like fantasy games again recently so I would be interested in trying this one out
May 2, 2020 3:41 pm
@ Carabas: It is Very Tolkien-inspired. It feels very much like a 2nd age of LotR. The elves are not waning and are in fact very strong and very present. In fact, they sort of have taken the relatively young race of men under it's wing, teaching them the ways of civilization. Most of the settlements on the map are indeed elven settlements. Dwarves are kind of doing their own things in their mountain homes, but do intermingle with the other races from time to time, especially when it comes to fighting The Enemy. Speaking of which, The Enemy is a trio of powerful demon lords (there used to be four, but one was killed by an elven king long ago) who have been pushed back into the northern lands. 500 years later, and it seems The Enemy is once again awakening and preparing itself for another assault as Beastlings and Fellgrims are seen wandering further south, and their assaults on settlements are multiplying of late...
May 2, 2020 3:45 pm
That sounds cool. I'd like to join
May 2, 2020 5:48 pm
Cool, seems like I have 3 out of 4-6 players so far. At least one mare and I could start a game.

I guess the main difference would be the magic system. TAoS uses two types of magic: Innate Magic which is the type of magic that beings of a magical nature (usually elves and men with an elven lineage) can use. There is also sorcery which uses the energy of the land to cast magic. However, since the enemy has poured much of its essence into the land, using Sorcery can be risky...
May 2, 2020 7:51 pm
Would you permit a player learning sorcery?
May 2, 2020 8:05 pm
Yes, though, unless I am missing something, it seems you will be starting with a Sorcery skill of only your INT% (possibly increased by the use of a Background point). And learning a Sorcery spell requires the expenditure of 2 Progression points (or once again, the use of Background points). So all in all, you'd be a very novice Sorcerer (assuming a human which starts with 3 Background points), but that could give you a motivation to go on adventures, to find a teacher and more spells...
May 3, 2020 12:59 am
Alright, well since I have 4 players, I'll go ahead and make the game thread and send you invites.
May 5, 2020 4:49 pm
Kalajel, I have played Age of Shadow, I would live to be included if possible. I can make a character in about an hour if necessary. Thanks for your consideration!
May 11, 2020 11:35 pm
Never heard of this game...
May 11, 2020 11:59 pm
It's a fantasy game using the d100 system based on Open Quest (which itself is based on Runequest/Gloranta IIRC). It's pretty simple and the whole rulebook is 80 pages thick.

Turns out one of my players did not had the time to learn a new system after all, so I have a space left.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.