Red hand of doom, Fate edition

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 3, 2020 6:44 pm
The dry hilltops danced with fire.

Throughout the heart of the wild badlands the humans called the Wyrmsmokes, great bonfires had been kindled atop the ridges overlooking Elsir Vale. There thousands of warriors had gathered - hobgoblins in armor dyed scarlet, thick-thewed bugbear berserkers, goblin warg riders and skirmishers and archers, and the scaled ones as well, who often towered over the rest. For so long they had fought each other, tribe against tribe, race against race, engaged in the endless test of battle, feud, and betrayal. But tonight... tonight they stood together, hated enemies shoulder to shoulder, shouting together as brothers. And they saw that they were strong, and together they danced and sang and shook their blades at the smoke-hidden stars overhead.

"We are the Kulkor Zhul!" they shouted, and the hills shook with the thunder of their voices. "We are the People of the Dragon! Uighulth na Hargai! None can stand before us!"

One by one the tribes fell silent. Armor creaked as thousands turned to look up at the Place of Speaking. There, a single champion emerged from the assemblage and slowly climbed the ancient stone stair cut into the side of the hill. A hundred bright yellow banners stood between him like a phalanx of spears, each marked with a great red hand. The warpriests holding the banners chanted battle-prayers in low voices as the champion ascended.

On the hundredth step he stopped and turned to face the waiting warriors. He was tall and strong, one of the hobgoblin chieftains, but dull blue scales gleamed along his shoulders, and jutting horns swept back from his head.

"I am Azarr Kul, Son of the Dragon!" he cried. "Hear me warriors of the Kulkor Zhul! Tomorrow we march to war!"

The warriors roared their approval, stamping their feet and clashing spear to shield, Azarr Kul waited, holding his hands aloft until they quieted again. "The warpriests of the Doom Hand have shown us the way! They have taught us honor, discipline, obedience - and strength! No more will we waste our blood fighting each other. We will take the lands of the elf, the dwarf, and the human, and make them ours! Under the banner of the Red Hand of Doom we march to victory and conquest! Remember that you stood here this night, warriors of Kulkor Zhul! For a hundred generations your sons and your sons' sons will sing of the blood spilled by your swords and the glory you win in the nights to come! Now, my brothers - to WAR!"

The burning hills were too small to hold the shout the Kulkor Zhul gave in answer to their warlord's call.
-- Intro to Red Hand of Doom

You have taken a job from the guild board, a request for reinforcement of the guard of a small town called Drellin's Ferry. The town has been having more trouble than usual with the local hobgoblin tribes. A company of guards that was sent out to handle the problem never returned, and the roads have become too dangerous for most merchants, cutting off supplies and putting the town at risk. The job posting says you are to meet with the town speaker Norro Wiston, and the Captain of the guard Soranna Anitah and negotiate final payment.

This game will be the Red Hand of Doom module for dnd 3.5, but the system used will be Fate Condensed. Familiarity with the Fate system isn't necessary. I'm looking for 4-6 players.

Characters should be adventurers fitting a typical dnd/high fantasy setting. Players will all belong to the same guild, but I will leave the details of the guild up for discussion.

For character creation, I'd ask at minimum your High Concept, Trouble, and Relationship aspects. Your relationship aspect should reflect your role in the guild, either socially or professionally. Something like "Guild smithy", or "The most popular drinking buddy in the guild". You may optionally have two more aspects, to flesh out the character concept, but these can also be assigned during play. Skills will be assigned at the first time they are necessary. No stunts may be selected at character creation time, but they can be selected at milestones. As an additional rule, you may spend a fate point at any time to gain use of a stunt for the round, as long as the stunt can be related to one of your aspects.
Last edited May 3, 2020 6:44 pm
May 3, 2020 6:53 pm
Sounds interesting! I will have a look at the Fate rules
May 3, 2020 7:03 pm
As I mentioned on the Discord, I'm definitely interested. Depending on what the others are interested in playing, I would take either a wizard or paladin type character
May 3, 2020 10:22 pm
Same, copied over from the discord ... I was thinking of a ranger/fighter type. I was playing a lumberjack-like character in a game of Fudge (predecessor of Fate) a little while ago that never really took off before it fizzled. I'm thinking of something similar, but I'm flexible and happy to adjust to fit the group.
May 3, 2020 10:46 pm
All of these sound good. I've invited the three of you.
May 4, 2020 2:22 am
This sounds like fun.
May 4, 2020 7:52 am
my "dance card" is full right now. But I would love to play a Fate game sometime soon
May 6, 2020 5:24 pm
We've started playing, but two more players could still join if they are interested

You do not have permission to post in this thread.