Black Lives Matter

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 2, 2020 12:08 am
As always, I'll start by apologizing for not being the active dev you all deserve. I hope you'll overlook that today.

We're in a time of chaos and turmoil. And in the US for the last week, we've seen people of all ages, genders, and colors stand up against at least one portion of that turmoil: racism. It is a clear, understandable fact that people of color, specially Black Americans, are treated to a substandard level by the system as a whole. I'm not Black, but as an Indian, I've been randomly searched, bomb tested, and had a gun pulled on me by police, for no apparent reason besides prejudices on my skin tone/race. I can only imagine what Black folks have to go through, where they're perceived to be inherently dangerous or wild.

I'm a pacifist, but I fully understand why people are protesting, and to a degree, rioting. And the response we've seen has shown why this level of protest has been needed. The continual escalation by those in power shows why these protests are needed. No nation is free when you have different classes of citizens.

I am extremely proud of the community Gamers' Plane has developed, one of understanding and cooperation. I'm astonished that in the 6 years the site has been up, I've needed to ban (I think?) one person who was not a spammer/bot. We all need to extract this attitude to the world at large.

Some of you may be wondering why I'm bringing this up, to a gaming site, where many come to escape. Unfortunately, I can tell you from personal experience, no person of color can ever really escape. Black folks have talks with their kids on what to expect and how to deal with cops. I know that because of my skin and my beard, I'm going to be considered a terrorist in places no further than an hours drive from me. I've always said, if you can stop thinking about politics, it's because you're already benefiting from politics.

So now in this time, I ask you to stand with your fellow humans. There's a protest near me tomorrow, which I'm considering attending (I'm unsure, as a DACA recipient, as an arrest could mean my deportation) (if you do attend a protest, be safe, be careful, know your rights before you head out, read up on protest/riot safety, I want you to come back). If you can spare a few bucks, there are a number of funds you can give to. Every religion teaches the value of togetherness; if you're religious, show this value, and if you're not, do it anyway. If you have a voice in person or online, use it, don't let people get away with being racist, be it blatant or a joke. And if you have nothing else, listen, understand, and support those who need it. If you have a hard time talking about this, or don't want to, consider WHY you don't want to. For the Black and downtrodden players here, I stand with you as much as I possibly can.

There are a number of useful links going around the web, and I'll try to compile what I can here. I even recently saw a link for how you can be an activist when you can't be active, which I'll try to find again. If you know useful sites, social media posts, etc, let me know.

Oh, and if you have a problem with anything I've said here, you're welcome to leave my site. Anything provocative or inflammatory here and I'll ban you outright. If you're unsure and want to discuss this civilly, we'll find a space other than this thread.
Resources:
If someone feels any of these resources are not accurate/not reflective of the cause, please let me know.

https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/
Jun 2, 2020 12:19 am
Where is an upvote button when I really need one? :)
Jun 2, 2020 1:04 am
Thanks, Keleth. Be safe out there.
Jun 2, 2020 1:08 am
"if you can stop thinking about politics, it's because you're already benefiting from politics."

Truth!
Jun 2, 2020 5:20 am
Note speaking to the protests versus the riots ... the protesters are peaceful or at least predominately so ... and the riots are not mostly on them but on fringe groups wishing to exploit or create conflict where no conflict would have otherwise occurred ... check the FBI reports as to who these individuals are and/or who they are backed by you might find it highly interesting that basically those that caused this issue are the ones doing nearly all the destruction --- in fact many of the protesters have tried, on many different occasions and many different places, to prevent these individuals from doing the harm that they have been doing and/or at least recording the perpetrators of these crimes so the authorities might be able to do something about this, however, some of these perpetrators are in positions of authority as they take this opportunity of confusion to perpetrate more injustice but hopefully the recordings of these will be raised to a higher level as things progress and while I am always hoping for better I am often disappointed in how much more moronic injustice continues.

As for the afro-american issue it hits very close to home for me and we are always guarding against potential wrong doing by these extremely narrow minded haters who many of ironically and wrongly claim to be followers of God, maybe they but not the God of the Bible but the god of the world and we know who he is.
Last edited June 2, 2020 5:25 am
Jun 2, 2020 3:19 pm
Black Lives Matter!
Jun 2, 2020 5:10 pm
My heart is broken with the state of things.

Both because of the senseless killings perpetrated by the authorities who are supposed to be serving our communities, but also because I've realized I'm more a part of the problem than the solution.

Without getting too political, I support the progressive politics and candidates that I hope will lead to, or at least inch things along toward, the change that I'd like to see manifest in our society. But beyond that I've never really done much. To be real. I'm what would probably be best described as a "well-meaning white person". I do "my part" at the ballot box, but beyond that I go to my 9-5 job, blocks away from where the ppl whom I agree with and whom I fear for, and whom are getting tear-gased, but then I go home to my wife and two young children, and ... basically just watch the news and shake my head.

I feel like I know how to be a good Ally. And I do try to do those things.

I absolutely seek out the voices of POC, to hear them, and so that I might know their experience - both in the media I consume for leisure (books, tv, movies) and information (news, documentaries, editorials, etc).

And I seek to amplify those voices, when and where I can - repeating the nature of those experiences, referring people to those stories and content producers, so that they can hear those voices too. Although I feel like my opportunity to really do that, where it isn't just inside my "echo chamber", is pretty limited...

And so I end up just sitting there, mowing my lawn this weekend and, like, tears welling up in my eyes, as I walk in literal and figurative circles. Having moved into a historically black neighbourhood, some 7 years ago. The black community is literally my community, my neighbors. I watched my neighbors grand kids grow up - they're now graduating highschool and becoming the young men that are getting murdered, i've watched them play with my dog, raced with them down the street, chatted with my immediate neighbors when I see them.

But now, in this time, I'm feeling a fear for my neighbors' brothers, and grandsons, and step-sons, but also feeling utterly helpless and useless - and knowing that their community has felt this same thing for four-hundred years!! But of course knowing that what I'm feeling is only a pale, pale shadow compared to what they're feeling, as they're experience of it is direct, and as personal as it gets, and felt as a community-body, and actually backed up by the impending doom that is their experience of policing, and really America in general.

It makes me feel physically ill to know that those things that I'm doing, and have been doing for many years now, isn't enough. Because still this continues to happen. Nothing changes.

But what the **** else can I do?!

Like what can any of us do, that have these lives that don't really facilitate activism?

I've seen some good stuff circulating for my city about POC-owned businesses, and I've resolved to add supporting POC-owned businesses to my abilities as an Ally. But is that enough to help drive the change that I want to see? How diligent can I really be about that? It doesn't feel like it's enough.

I feel like the only other thing that is within my ability is, basically, like, I don't know what else to call it but seemingly/apparently-radical acts of love.

Like, in this nation that doesn't, or can't be bothered to, give a **** about ANYTHING. It feels like all I can do, is care deeply - myself, be that Ally in whatever way I can- as above, and embrace the "scary" things that come with that caring, and to try to instill these values in my children. So that maybe the world they live in isn't quite so shitty.

Like, perhaps one of the most significant things that I've identified that I can do, is to live those values, manifest before the eyes of me - but especially my sons. It's all fine and well to expose them to these ideals and the stories of those experiences, so much as I can as an Ally, but I would like to figure out how to have POC more in our lives - to have my literal neighborhood community in our lives? My circle of friends contains POC. But how can I move beyond that? How can I have other and more POC that I care about, like the people that I want to think of as my community because I moved into theirs, in my home? Ideals are great, but I feel like I need to figure out how I can have a broader POC community before the eyes and lives of my kids. So that my kids can know their experience and their lives, more directly, and will not under any circumstance, stand for what is going on in our society right now.

Maybe that doesn't sound so radical, but when you consider how to achieve this without making my neighbors feel like I'm projecting my white-guilt onto them, and thereby run the risk of turning them into some sort of token of my own absolution... Like... that feels like it's really freaking hard, to conceptualize how to achieve. And I think a lot of white ppl like me, career-and-family types, so on, probably feel and think a lot of these same thoughts.

I would really love the input of POC, on this, and it's not GPs responsibility to provide that of course, this is really just the first time I've been able to like fully and completely put my thoughts into writing on this whole thing... But, if you are a POC, what would you think, how would you feel if - in this societal and political moment - your well-meaning white neighbor who moved into the neighborhood you grew up in came over and, like... invited you over for a grill-out, or like a sit down dinner? How can I communicate that this is a genuine attempt at me trying to live my ideals, and to instill in my children a love for POC that I don't otherwise feel like I'm achieving in an adequate way? Without making them feel like some fetish of my white-guilt?

This stuff is hard, but this piece in particular - my white guilt, my fragility, and overcoming that - is MY problem. No one else's. I need to figure out how to fix MY problem.

And if I can do it, maybe others can do it. Maybe you can, if you're like me? And if others can do it, maybe we can actually bring about some change in the horrible state of this society. That's my hope.

Ok, sorry, rant over.
Last edited June 2, 2020 5:15 pm
Jun 2, 2020 5:22 pm
Some get lost in the big things when it is the little things that really count -- so very often if you concentrate on what you can do versus what you cannot do and then do that to the best of your ability that is usually the best solution.

Small acts of kindness and support can go a long way to helping the bigger picture especially if numerous folks do the same. All this requires is that you keep your eyes open for those opportunities and then having the gumption to follow through. Those seem like really minor things but frankly in today's society they are huge in their simpleness because far to many folks are so focused on themselves that helping someone else in any way is more than they can even consider let alone actually do.

To me all lives matter and skin color, nationality and all those other details mean so little in the grand scope of things. I will help someone just because they could use the hand, with no strings attached. Now I am not perfect by any standard but I still do the best that I can as that is all I can do.
Jun 2, 2020 6:02 pm
Just my $0.02,

People are certainly frustrated with inappropriate conduct, evil actions, mistreatment, unfair treatment, general injustice, and so forth. I feel and believe all people should voice their frustration with peaceful protesting. In fact, it is our right to do so. However, I can't help but see the disparity that exists in hearing of, and viewing these situations. I believe much of what develops our perspective is indeed our personal life experience. I, long ago abandoned much "mainstream" media opinion as I tend to distrust the narratives they weave. Mixing lies with truth and half-truth is a common tactic by true deceivers. That which life has taught me in my near 40 years is what I have to go on.

I grew up in a household that was in large part religious. I was taught values such as respect, integrity and to not think too highly of myself...a sense of humility, if you will. Ahhh, humility...wouldn't that do us all some good? None the less, I was taught early on that "the meteorologist isn't always right." Essentially, we shouldn't "buy into" every emotionally driven opinion as undeniable fact. There is intellectual reasoning and there is emotional reasoning. Emotional reasoning, I fear, is what is driving much opinion these days. Even in conversation it has become difficult for people to reason, even with their own opinion...which often leads to complete hypocrisy. Now enters pride...anger...and the conversation is usually met with some form of "colorful" language and insults.

The recent death of the gentlemen at the hands of the officer(s) in Minnesota was indeed a great travesty for law enforcement and a blatantly evil action by a man in a position of power. But, whether the man was an "person of color" or not is irrelevant in my personal opinion. For the sole reason that I believe "All Lives Matter." Granted, my opinion is groomed from a unitarian christian background and to separate my faith from my opinion would be folly as it has a profound influence on my life and decisions. Therefore, I say again, "All Lives Matter" and you will find that opinion consistent across the board for me. I'm Pro-Life in all ways.

Many of us struggle in life. Some, more than others. But, America promised the "pursuit of happiness," which is also one of my favorite films staring Will Smith. I think he said it...and I'll paraphrase, that it was smart how they put the pursuit part in there. We're not guaranteed happiness, only the pursuit of it. Even the sacred text that I hold dear does not promise an easy life here in this current state of the world. A person of respect and integrity can be the victim of abhorrent violence just as a wicked person can. Blessing and tragedy come to both the righteous and wicked.

I was once close to a lovely young Asian-American lady while attending a small junior college in south Georgia whom was brutally beaten and raped by three men near Mobile, AL. This was an evil act by three men on an innocent woman. Does their nationality really matter? It was evil. She wasn't deserving, but sadly that is the way of the world, and always has been. My point being, these were three individuals who prayed on another individual. Regardless of their reasoning, "racial", "sexist" or what have you, it was still three individuals making their own terrible decision to act in a sickening way.

Do we not all have to put in various amounts of "effort" to achieve something based on our vision of happiness? I certainly made sacrifices of time and money to further my education. I worked hard, studied hard and applied myself the best I could. I say this to this point; we are all individuals. I've made and make my own choices based on the things that I've experienced and learned. I made and make the choices which I think are best for myself, my family and in accordance with my faith. Truly I make all attempts to live a peaceful life and wish no ill will towards any person. I've certainly made my own good and awful decisions and dealt with the consequences of both. However, to accept a form of inherited "guilt" due to my nationality, gender or religious belief I feel is lost to me and misses the point entirely. We will only move forward when we begin to see each other as individuals and not as "you people" and "those people."

I wasn't brought up to hate people nor will I accept a label to stick me in a box of some made-up rhetoric to give someone some "worldly" power over me. The officer responsible should be held to full accountability for his actions and justice should come swiftly for him. We should all be rigorous about finding and sharing truth.

God Bless and stay safe.
Last edited June 2, 2020 6:07 pm
Jun 2, 2020 6:16 pm
Okay, so here are some things that are not helpful: 1) Emphasizing that "all lives matter" when, very clearly, some lives are being heavily prioritized over others, and 2) asserting that this is all just a case of individuals behaving badly.

It's easy to say it's just individuals when it's not someone who looks like you getting murdered, abused, and oppressed every single time. If it were an isolated incident, yeah, you can say that. When it's happening over and over and over and over and over? No. That's a systemic thing. That's white supremacy making itself plain for all who are willing to see.
Jun 2, 2020 6:18 pm
I've never been more proud to be apart of this community you're keeping together with your hard work Keleth.
Jun 2, 2020 6:21 pm
Black lives matter. That's all that needs to be said here, ESPECIALLY SINCE KELETH SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED THAT DISCUSSION OF THIS TOPIC (IF NECESSARY, WHICH REALLY IT SHOULDN'T BE) TAKE PLACE ELSEWHERE.
Last edited June 2, 2020 6:22 pm
Jun 2, 2020 6:22 pm
If nothing else, show some respect for the person who toils away to put this gaming experience together for all of us.
Jun 3, 2020 5:28 am
Thankyou for making this post.
Jun 3, 2020 6:05 am
Keleth - gain inspiration if you don't already have it.
Jun 3, 2020 3:24 pm
DeJoker says:
Some get lost in the big things when it is the little things that really count -- so very often if you concentrate on what you can do versus what you cannot do and then do that to the best of your ability that is usually the best solution.

Small acts of kindness and support can go a long way to helping the bigger picture especially if numerous folks do the same.
This is so true, and I just wanted to stress how important this is.
Jun 4, 2020 2:43 pm
Now is the time where being passively non-racist isn't enough, it is the time to be actively anti-racist.
Jun 4, 2020 3:32 pm
Yes one of the biggest issues that I and my family have encountered is not just the blatant racists but the closest racists or those that do not even consider themselves racist and yet one can tell that they are quite racists in their beliefs and understandings -- and then they have the audacity to call themselves Christians.

I wonder how many of these racists, regardless of type, that are so-called christians truly understand that Jesus's heritage is one that they would call black as Soloman's wife (Mary's lineage) was definitely black and who knows how many other wives and/or men on that side of the tree were also black considering the area in which they lived. Further the average Judean at the time Jesus walked would have likely had dark brown to black hair, olive to dark olive skin, and brown eyes. So much more black than white of course back then bigotry was more about social class than it was skin color. And sadly that is the only aspect that has not changed is this constant aspect of idiotic bigotry based on something that has nothing to do with an individuals personal character.
Jun 6, 2020 1:44 am
Thank you for this. I'm relatively new to this community, but I've grown to like it here. It feels good, and safe (which is a precious commodity right now...) to know that our devs are actively on the side of peace where it is possible and justice in all cases. Thank you for that, so very much.
Jun 7, 2020 4:32 am
Please everyone, lets leave conversation on this topic out of this thread. I'm fine leaving it unlocked, if people want to voice short statements, but to respect everyone, I'd rather conversation on this not flare out of control in an announcement thread. The mods and I are working to figure out how we can best help push forward a constructive conversation without it devolving.
load next

Thread locked