New Player Looking for GM (Shadowrun 5e)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 4, 2020 5:21 pm
That's new to Shadowrun and this forum, not games in general, haha. I've played a bunch, and most of it via PbP at that.

That outta the way, I haven't played Shadowrun before, and have been having trouble finding anyone willing to run it, on my usual forum. Which sucks, cus I have like 8 character ideas for it that have been rattling around in my head since I got the books.

I'm mostly looking for Brown Business Suit, in terms of tone. Setting doesn't actually matter much, though I'd prefer something more localized to one major city's metropolitan area, rather than a grand globe trotting thing or a more rural game (I have no idea how common those even are). I'm mostly looking to play a Rigger or Shaman, with a couple different ideas for each.

I've played a bit of the PC games (Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall, Hong Kong) but otherwise all I know of the Shadowrun setting comes from idly browsing the wiki and the books. But damn it looks cool.

(Hope these sorts of threads aren't frowned on here. I haven't really had a chance to feel out the community yet.)
Jul 4, 2020 8:58 pm
Quote:
(Hope these sorts of threads aren't frowned on here. I haven't really had a chance to feel out the community yet.)
Definitely not frowned upon. GMs looking for players are usually more successful than players looking for GMs but I've seen threads like this kickstart a whole campaign before so better ask than not :)
Jul 4, 2020 10:07 pm
It occurred to me that if I'm asking, I should at least provide a little bit of plot ideas. But, since I don't actually know much about Shadowrun's setting and what makes sense for plots (beyond "runners taking odd jobs" but that sounds kinda generic), I'm just going to throw a few of my character ideas out there, and hope those inspire some plot ideas.

Ulna, Ork Shaman. Grew up in a meta-human centric halfway house. She now volunteers there, and a chunk of the money she gets from runs supports the house. She doesn't tell them outright where she gets the money from, and they don't ask. But they probably have at least a general idea. Think the place that Samuel runs in the Dragonfall PC game. For plot ideas, the obvious one is that all the players are associated with the house in some way, and eventually something comes along to threaten it. Corporate or otherwise.

Charity, AI Rigger. I have no idea how feasible AIs are as PCs, mechanically. I figured, in this case, she'd primarily interface with the party through some sort of drone with a voice synth module added, and would basically jsut act as a Rigger for runs. Charity doesn't actually know her origins, leaving it open if she's an E-Ghost or some evolved normal program or what. I'm open to figuring it out in-character. I don't have any real plot ideas for the group as a whole based on this. At least, none that don't make Charity the focal point of the game. But if players are cool with plot centering around one particular character, the two that come to mind are finding Charity a metahuman body (no idea if that's even plausible in universe but I suspect it would involve a braindead person and nanobots), or some corporation trying to capture the rogue AI.

Wedge, Elf Rigger. Better for a Pink Mohawk game than a BBS game, really, since she's a vehicle Rigger, with all the absurdity that could imply. Former Combat Biker that got bored with it and became a runner. Obviously has a Combat Bike, but also has a more subtle (but still heavily modded) station wagon and a tank van. That is, a van that's got so much armor and guns strapped to it you could drive it through a concrete wall and blow up everything on the other side. Or that's the plan. It's a work in progress. Don't have a plot idea here, sadly, but the character is there.

???, Human Shaman. All I have for this is an image that won't leave my mind after i found it on pinterest. Here's that. I don't know anything about Shamans in Shadowrun, honestly, except that there's some natural root to their magic, rather than being all studious. Part of me looks at that image and thinks of one of the more "corrupted" forms of magic that I've heard about in a couple places, but I don't know enough about it to get any real ideas down.
[ +- ] Image
Jul 4, 2020 11:45 pm
I do want to play Shadowrun 5e too hehe.
Well, I sent you an invite on the game I’m running if you’re interested.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.