INTEREST CHECK: Alpha Centauri (Sci-fi)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 14, 2020 4:25 pm
Hey Guys,

I just found out there is a conversion of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri 4X computer game to an RPG setting and I can't resist but testing this out. The game was literally a follow up from Civ2's winning condition: send a space ship out of Earth.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/01/Alpha_Centauri_cover.jpg/220px-Alpha_Centauri_cover.jpg

Background: Humanity messed up bad - global warming, nuclear war, famine and riots. Somehow, the UN managed to pull together a major effort to send humanity across the interstellar sea to colonise the Alpha Centauri system on the massive UN Unity vessel. You are some of the lucky ones sleeping for 40 years in a cryocell now waking up to the sound of the alarm systems.

Game: The game is narrative based with very simple mechanics. You will be presented with the challenges your colony is facing and will decide on which mission to do. That's as far as "base management" will go. Each mission will secretly determine what tech you unlock and what new challenges you will, be facing. As for the original game, the story will be revealed through these new techs (I'll try to use the original materials as much as possible). I'm looking to post twice a week starting within a week or two.

Factions: The game includes with 14 factions that are ideological distinct. You will start as the 15th faction (the hidden Firaxians) so you are not tied to any predefined ideology/group. However, I will allow players to rebel against each other and form their own faction or even defect to join existing factions. I expect player driven intrigue and drama :D Thought the game's scope is the fate of humankind, I hope we manage to focus on some character development as well.

Characters: Characters have 5 basic attributes that randomise the player's narrative and you can pick from 10 priorities. The attributes level cap grows with the technology and the priorities reflect how you think the colony should be managed, so you can change that over time. Your views of the world (priorities) can bring you into conflict with other players and factions.

Interested? you can apply here. In the unlikely event there are a lot of players interested, I'll come up with some sort of selection ;)
Last edited July 14, 2020 4:32 pm
Jul 14, 2020 4:30 pm
I'm definitely interested. All of that sounds right up my alley
Jul 14, 2020 5:08 pm
I like the sound of this, count me in.
Jul 14, 2020 5:44 pm
I used to love this game (always played University or Hive), I'm interested.
Jul 14, 2020 10:06 pm
Mr_Winter says:
Someone else who knows the setting :D Though the ends is probably spoiled ;)

I think that makes 4 players at the moment. I'll wait a bit longer as I'm still setting up the game, but looks like this has enough interest already
Jul 14, 2020 10:21 pm
I know nothing of the source, but I am intrigued. Count me in.
Jul 15, 2020 1:08 am
oooo! i played the shit out of alpha centauri as a kid. I'm intrigued. where can we find the rules for this alpha centauri adaptation?
Last edited July 15, 2020 1:09 am
Jul 15, 2020 8:15 am
optimumsquare says:
oooo! i played the shit out of alpha centauri as a kid. I'm intrigued. where can we find the rules for this alpha centauri adaptation?
I won't be running the actual setting adaptation I found (it was for GURPS by the way if you want to google it). Instead, I'll use an extremely light system using d6 dice pools, which should be able to capture what is needed for a narrative game.

Right, that's 7 applications already, I think I'll close this down for the moment.
Jul 15, 2020 11:20 am
CESN says:
Mr_Winter says:
Someone else who knows the setting :D Though the ends is probably spoiled ;)

I think that makes 4 players at the moment. I'll wait a bit longer as I'm still setting up the game, but looks like this has enough interest already
I'd already considered a roleplaying game based on Planet :D

I also had plans for a Tiberian Sun game, it's a brilliant post apocalyptic sci-fi setting that would make a good RPG.
Jul 15, 2020 11:46 am
Ok guys, invites sent all around. Let me know if I missed anyone. Have a look around, ask questions and let me know if you want to try (stay in) the game ;)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.