Star Wars Game Idea

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 14, 2020 6:10 pm
I had an idea pop in my head for a potentially interesting Star Wars game. Gauging interest.

I'm considering running a game that takes place in an ancient version of the SW galaxy. Pre-Old Republic. Prior to hyperspace being common. I'm thinking of a Force and Destiny game focusing on the weirder aspects of the Force. I plan to mostly ignore the EU/Legends stuff that takes place there, with the exception of a few Jedi origin items. For the most part, I'll be making up my own lore, which the players would experience via discovery.

I'd run prologue sessions first centered around the players early training and background.

Any interested parties for a game like this?

Edit: It appears there is interest! I'll start a game. I will be looking for 3 players who are willing to post at least 4 times a week.

If you'd like to join this game, please Message me with your answers to the following questions:
1. What is your favorite Star Wars story and why? Can be a movie, a series, one episode of a series, a book, comic, whatever.
2. What do you find interesting about the Force?
3. What do you feel are the most central themes of Star Wars?

I think a game like this isn't for everyone, and there are certain aspects of Star Wars and the Force I will be looking to lean in to. So, I will not just accept the first three folks to message me. I'll be looking for folks who are interested in similar or complimentary ideas and themes.
Last edited July 14, 2020 11:59 pm
Jul 14, 2020 6:28 pm
I'd be a new player, but sure I'm in.
Jul 14, 2020 6:30 pm
I think I would be interested in something like that.
Jul 14, 2020 6:32 pm
Squadfather44 says:
I'd be a new player, but sure I'm in.
I find teaching new systems pretty tough via PbP. If you are open to doing the legwork and learning the basics of the system on your own, I'm open to a new player.

This would use the Fantasy Flight Games Force and Destiny rules.
Jul 14, 2020 6:48 pm
This is one of the more fascinating F&D pitches I have seen, and I would be very interested in joining.
Jul 14, 2020 7:47 pm
I would love to play in this game.

I actually ran a game in a similar era, set on Tython, right before the Jed'aii order split.

Super interesting segment of the timeline for the Force, etc.
Jul 14, 2020 7:56 pm
I feel like I have to make clear: I would lean away from established canon and EU/Legends for this game. On a lore level, this would be much more reflective of my own thoughts and feelings on how the Force works and early force user states than any established material.

I'd probably cherry pick items here and there, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of the existing stories from this era. For example, I would probably not touch Tython, nor the split, nor the Rakata. But, its likely you'll see weird pyramids all over the place.
Last edited July 14, 2020 11:59 pm
Jul 14, 2020 9:10 pm
You mentioned prologue sessions first centered around the players early training and background.

I took this as:

We do character creation to make our new Jedi Initiate/Padawan (or whatever equivalent/starting point you are thinking), we go through some solo sessions building up to something akin to "Knight Level" where the group meets up and the "real" adventure begins.

Since you are "creating" some of this lore, yourself. Will we get some jumping off points possible for backstory or all have a similar starting points "You were raised in the Jedi Temple and now you have started your Jedi Initiate training" sort of thing, then we build the rest with you?
Jul 14, 2020 9:13 pm
Hmm color me interested
DeJoker sent a note to Friar_Tuk
Last edited July 14, 2020 9:16 pm
Jul 14, 2020 9:49 pm
valdattaMadun says:
We do character creation to make our new Jedi Initiate/Padawan (or whatever equivalent/starting point you are thinking), we go through some solo sessions building up to something akin to "Knight Level" where the group meets up and the "real" adventure begins.

Since you are "creating" some of this lore, yourself. Will we get some jumping off points possible for backstory or all have a similar starting points "You were raised in the Jedi Temple and now you have started your Jedi Initiate training" sort of thing, then we build the rest with you?
Great question! To clarify: The prologue sessions would be more to tell the story of how your character went from a random farm boy with some Force sensitivity to a starting character with some Force training. These prologue sessions would be primarily narrative, but should any dice be rolled, you'd roll of your base stats for the most part.

F&D starting characters assume a bit of training in the Force. This campaign would not be centered around the Jedi as we see them in Canon or EU/Legends. So how did you get your training? I have ideas around this that I don't want to spoil, so I'd rather not elaborate more on that.
Jul 14, 2020 10:50 pm
I vastly prefer gifted amateur/autodidact over 'went to some form of Force school'.
Jul 14, 2020 11:44 pm
Anyone interested in this game, please take a look at the edited original post at the top of this thread!
Jul 15, 2020 1:10 am
Sent message
Last edited July 15, 2020 1:32 am
Jul 15, 2020 3:40 am
I've not played a StarWars game since the old West End Games version... which I still have in a box in my garage... I'm a huge fan of the Old Republic MMO era, there's a ton of great range in that era, the "Rule of 2," which was clearly such a BS rule that even LucasFilms and LucasArts ignored it, didn't exist. You've got the Immortal Emperor hanging about on the fringes of the galaxy. The universe is awash in Jedi and Sith...

https://i.imgur.com/xK0QXPT.gif
Jul 15, 2020 2:04 pm
Ok everyone, game is full (for now).

To all who Messaged me: If I did not reply, then I was not able to add you to the game. I hope nobody takes this personally in any way! I had several applicants and only three slots. I chose folks whose interests and vision of the Force most closely aligned with my own and one another's.

I want to make clear that none of this is a value judgement on anyone's preferences or interests! Star Wars is a storytelling genre all its own, and different people get different things out of it. I truly do believe that there is something in Star Wars for everyone, and that everyone's enjoyment is equally valid.

For this game, I intend to lean hard in to some of the themes, ideas and visions of the Force that I find compelling. I wanted to be as sure as I could be that the folks joining me would find those things interesting.

Hope to have a chance to game with all of you in the future!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.