IC: The Lost City and new material

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 19, 2020 8:34 pm
Has anyone put the materials found in Ancestry & Culture to practical use? I just got my copies and I am very intrigued, but I want to know if anyone has put it to the acid test and if so, how does it work? Is it fairly balanced (nothing is perfectly balanced) or overpowered? I might have to put together a game on here just to mess with it.

Hmmm. Within the week, I will be getting my copy of OAR4 The Lost City. This is a redressing and conversion to 5e of the classic D&D module B4 The Lost City by Goodman Games and I would be very interested in running it. Would there be any interest in this classic module and trying out these new rules?

What are they?
These rules replace the outdated concept of "race" in D&D. Instead of choosing a race, you choose an ancestry and culture. If for example, you wanted to play a dwarf, you would choose dwarven ancestry and dwarven culture. This would create a dwarf pretty much directly from the Player's Handbook. But what if your dwarf had been raised by humans? In this case, you would choose dwarven ancestry, but human culture. Elements of your character that are inborn are determined by ancestry, but those that are shaped by your upbringing are determined from culture. As an extreme example, you could even create a character that had one tiefling parent and one one dragonborn parent, who was raised in an elven sub-culture in a human city. In this case, you would determine which traits from each ancestry your character has, and which traits from each culture that your character possesses to create a completely unique individual, unlike any other D&D character!

Okay, what is the module all about?
Oh, your party becomes separated from their caravan while crossing a vast desert. Desperate for food, water, and shelter, you happen upon a strange pyramid mostly covered by the shifting sands. Could this be your salvation? There is only one way to find out...
Last edited July 19, 2020 9:11 pm
Jul 20, 2020 11:47 am
This sounds like a lot of fun. A classic modules and new rules I love. Count me interested. :)
Last edited July 20, 2020 11:47 am
Jul 20, 2020 12:01 pm
I would love to try out Ancestry & Culture, but I googled OAR4 The Lost City, and found this page with minor spoilers that present it as a lev 1 to 7 adventure. I have currently had my fill of low-level D&D, so I'll pass. Reluctantly.

Had you said Pathfinder 2e I would have been very keen, but then PF2e has an Ancestry & Culture mechanic already.

I wish you an interesting game and settle for the other game I am playing with WhtKnt :)
Jul 20, 2020 6:07 pm
I deleted your other thread to focus conversation into this one 😁
Jul 20, 2020 6:12 pm
Naatkinson says:
I deleted your other thread to focus conversation into this one 😁
Thank you. I hoped that someone would.
Jul 25, 2020 10:32 pm
Okay, I have received my copy of The Lost City. I'm now taking serious inquiries about playing. I know that ZivenOfNine is interested, and I have spoken to claypigeons on the Discord board. I still have four slots available. If everyone enjoys it and wants to keep it going, we can segue into Isle of Dread.
Last edited July 25, 2020 10:33 pm
Jul 25, 2020 10:37 pm
I love love this module. Played it as a kid, then converted it (on the fly) for Pathfinder six years ago or so.

One of the best BECMI D&D modules out there, can't recommend it highly enough.
Jul 25, 2020 11:29 pm
I'd love to get in on this! Dropping a line here as I said on discord.
Jul 26, 2020 1:30 am
I really hope we get enough to get going!
Jul 26, 2020 2:48 am
Yeppers.. Lost City would be nice.. I'm game for sure.
Jul 26, 2020 3:24 am
ZivenOfNine says:
I really hope we get enough to get going!
Getting enough people to run ANY system has never been an issue on GP. And it's DEFINITELY not an issue for 5e
Jul 26, 2020 3:26 am
To be sure. Even if it was running in the original system, I would still be in for playing it.
Last edited July 26, 2020 3:27 am
Jul 26, 2020 9:22 pm
The setting is Mystara, the Known World, in the Alasiyan Desert.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.