B1 Chapter 1: The Lord of the Tundra

Jul 28, 2020 4:03 pm
The followers of Axton, the great tundra chieftain, said their empire, like the plains, had no horizon- no end. Tales of marauding and pillaging horseman have been told around the fires of the flat-lands for centuries. Warriors humble, women chaste and children obedient in light of the violence Ichba (Lord of the Tundra) might still bring. His tomb, lost to the sands of time, is all but forgotten to Axton's descendants.

But not to five brave souls.

They ride Northwest, in defiance of villages and hearths cautioning such boldface ventures. For since Axton's death and burial few have been bold in the face of that once great leader. Shamans and horseman attempted to turn them away, blowing fermented yak piss at them. Some said death would be merciful. One could not insult Axton without a sacrifice. If so, HE would take a sacrifice. Songs of screaming flew about their heads in absolute fear of what would be released from the forgotten tomb.

But one mad sage was defiant. A descendant of a once proud family decimated by Axton's conquest, pointed to an outcropping far to the northwest. "There are no hills in the tundra, but his tomb is a hill," he spoke before shouting "Give him the rings of hell like he did to my grandfathers!"

Suddenly in the far distance an outcropping begins to rise.
OOC:
Feel free to character interact as you gallop to the outcropping the mad sage pointed out
Jul 28, 2020 10:28 pm
Once again Fenix tugged at his thick fur lined hooded woolen cloak that he wore. Seeking to adjust it so as to keep the smallest draft of frozen air from reaching his body within it's folds. For more then the thousandth time the Hobb wondered how he ever gotten it into his thick head. That it was a smart idea to travel to the far northern Coldlands in search of the hidden supposed treasure laiden Tomb of Axton. Now he just wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. So he could head south to warmer climes as fast as he was able.
With a gloved hand he gave a encouraging couple of pats on neck of the long haired gelding northern riding pony. That was named Sure Hooves. Looking around, he saw his companions seemed to be about as miserable as he was. Barely able to keep his teeth from chattering he said to no one in particular, he said. "Remind me again, who's brilliant idea was it to come to this Gods forsaken place? I just hope it's worth it!"
Last edited July 29, 2020 2:01 pm
Jul 29, 2020 7:41 am
Belga nudges her pony a little faster to catch up with Fenix. She gives the Hobb a jaunty grin and takes a pull from the skin hanging from the saddle horn, then tosses it over. "Here. A little fire water from the undermountain might help take the edge off. And it's a sure sight better than fermented yak's piss."

She squints ahead into the distance. "So.... that must be the place, eh?" She tried to sound more confident than she felt. It hadn't been until they got fully out in the tundra that she began to feel how big the emptiness was, and just how small their little band was. Before that thought could fully take root, Belga shook herself out of her reverie, and turned back to the rest of her companions. "Looks like we're finally getting close!"
Jul 29, 2020 8:24 am
Theodore pushes his cloak’s hood back from his face at the sound of conversation starting. The bitter cold hits him and he raises his arm to shield his face from a frozen gale. "It’s about damn time too, feels like we’ve been riding round here for an age." Theodore takes his turn with the fire water, grunting as he swallows and feels the warmth hit him though it is short-lived. "I’ll be glad to have some shelter from this wind, that’s for sure" he says as he passes on the skin.

Peering onwards, Stoneshadow begins to take in the outcropping and just how much it stands out from the empty surroundings. The slightest beginnings of doubt start to form in his mind before he pushes them back down. Readjusting his position in the saddle and pulling his hood back tight, Theodore focuses his thoughts on preparing himself for the challenge to come.
Jul 29, 2020 10:32 am
Riding next to his companions, Thran remains wrapped in a sullen silence as thick as his woolen scarf, a behaviour somewhat unusual for the mild-mannered, soft-spoken elven mage.

His almond-shaped eyes, barely visible through the layers of clothing and glistening beneath the shadow of the fur-coated hood of his winter robes, stare at the approaching tumulus with intensity.
Finally, the secrets he had been hankering after were close at hand, yet he shivered both from the cold and the prospect of facing the perils within: he'd studied the legends attached to the place and couldn't share his companions' light-hearted banter.

They would be lucky to get out with their sanity intact !

Of course he could not, would not tell them the extent of what he'd read in the ancient tomes he'd poured over for weeks and months on end; why sap the little courage they'd been able to muster ?
One thing was clear: he had to conquer the tomb's mystical secrets and he'd do what was necessary to reach his goal, even at the cost of his own life. To complete the task he'd joined with like-minded individuals and after weeks of arduous journeying there they were, a most unlikely band of tomb robbers if there ever was one !

He shook his head to clear his thoughts and grabbed the reins of his chestnut mount a little tighter: they'd reach the place any moment now and there still were preparations to complete...
Last edited July 29, 2020 1:59 pm
Jul 29, 2020 2:31 pm
Snatching the not frozen liquid filled liquorskin out of the frigged air. Fenix opened it an took a small swig of what was inside. Feeling it burn all the way down from gullet to gut. Putting the stopper back in. He tossed it to Big Teddy, who had motioned for it. Muttering, "Thank's Belga, that really hit the spot! It's fermented yak milk, not piss. That is unless you have drank something different then I have!"

To her proclamation that claimed they were in sight of there destination, He somewhat sarcastically replied . "That's what you told us a half an hour ago! We are still riding along freezing our asses off! I can't wait until we get there and get a yak dung fire started, so we can warm up a bit."
Last edited July 29, 2020 2:36 pm
Jul 29, 2020 3:10 pm
"Making smoke or fire may not be the wisest of choices, Fen. At least not that close to the funeral mound. There exist in these places... things that are drawn to the heat like moths to the flame. Things long dead, who hunger for the warmth of the living and thirst after a life long gone. We have to remain on our guard as we approach these accursed grounds !"

Despite the alarming words, the elf spoke in his habitual melodious tones, his voice carrying across the frozen waste effortlessly, almost disturbingly so.
Last edited July 29, 2020 3:22 pm
Jul 29, 2020 4:21 pm
Thran’s words send a shiver down Theodore’s spine. He plays it off as being caused by the weather by pulling his cloak tighter, but also touches a hand to his sheathed sword. "Nothing that we can’t handle though, eh?" Theodore’s words continue the confident persona he’s displaying to the group.
Jul 29, 2020 7:02 pm
Responding to the Elf, the Hobb said. "Then let them come! I'll be damned if fear of such will keep me from warming up by a fire. Because if I don't get warmer soon. The blood will start to freeze in my veins."
Jul 29, 2020 10:53 pm
For hours they ventured toward the Northwest. Deeper and deeper into that grassy, flat nothing defining the tundra. No hills drew the eye, no cliffs or mountains. Even their horses appeared restless if not bored. Onward and onward, the elevated outcropping in the distance appeared a mirage. Never appearing to come closer despite the constant riding in its direction.

Was that the reason the rogue, Akki, apparently staggered behind the main party? Was their a reason for his absence? Or just another illusion of the continuous grassland?

Nothing moved, nothing made anyone turn their heads, until perhaps something did.

OOC: Roll SR2 vs IQ (INT) or SR3 vs LCK
Jul 30, 2020 8:48 am
OOC:
Playing to my two strongest suits!

Rolls

SR2 on Int 13 - (2d6)

(54) = 9

Jul 30, 2020 8:55 am
OOC:
I’ll roll against INT too

Rolls

SR2 on INT 14 - (2d6)

(44) = 8

Jul 30, 2020 8:59 am
OOC:
And a reroll.

Rolls

DARO - (2d6)

(46) = 10

Jul 30, 2020 11:11 am
OOC:
SR on INT 26 (just checking: does that mean Thrandaryl needs to beat a level 2 SR - so a 25 - by rolling 2d6+14 ? Or how does this get resolved exactly ?)
OOC: Just like that, roll over 5 and don't roll a 1-2 combo

Rolls

IQ Saving Roll difficulty II - (2d6)

(41) = 5

Jul 30, 2020 11:25 pm
OOC:
As I understand it, you roll 2d6 + Attribute score vs T#25 for a Level 2 SR. Even if the attribute alone is greater than the T#, you still need to roll at least 5 to succeed. A roll of 4 or less is a failure.
Last edited July 31, 2020 3:46 am
Jul 30, 2020 11:34 pm
OOC: I thought it was five. Gringnr or not Ill post the outcome tomorrow.
Jul 31, 2020 1:42 am
OOC: for 5th edition, 5 is the minimum saving throw, I know other editions are different, not sure which edition's SRs you are going with.

Cursing, Akki pulls the bundled rags and scraps of fur that serve (poorly) as his clothes tighter around him, grateful for the warmth of the borrowed horse beneath him. He wants - nay, needs - to adventure. Of course he does, he's wearing literal rags! Even his "boots" are made from cast-off tatters, bound together by strips of whatever he could find that was long enough to tie. He is soaked through, freezing, miserable and angry. By all the devils, he thinks to himself grimly, I would guzzle yak piss if it were warm! Still, he knows there is precious little he can do about his current predicament, save move forward, toward his destiny.

(Rolling against INT of 13, BTW, so thos should succeed...)

OOC: doubles reroll!
Last edited July 31, 2020 8:48 pm

Rolls

2d6 - (2d6)

(44) = 8

DARO Re-roll - (2d6)

(52) = 7

Jul 31, 2020 3:45 am
OOC:
Oops, my bad. I was looking at 7th! I'll correct it above so there's no confusion.
Last edited July 31, 2020 3:46 am
Jul 31, 2020 5:10 am
OOC:
Roll SR2 vs IQ (INT) of 28 via Roguery
OOC: Doubles re-roll

Rolls

Roll - (2d6)

(55) = 10

Jul 31, 2020 4:45 pm
Withdrawing slightly from the conversation, a movement in the corner of his eye catches Theodore’s attention. Turning his head he sees a swarm of cavalry mere moments away. "Shit," Theodore yells, flinching at the sudden appearance, "incoming!"

Pulling at the reigns with one hand, he turns his horse whilst drawing his sword with the other. Bracing within the saddle, Theodore prepares to defend himself.
Last edited July 31, 2020 4:46 pm
Jul 31, 2020 4:50 pm
Stoneshadow sees them first, a huddle of activity coming from the Northwest a brush of dust and grass beaten up into the air. A tremble, then a thunder of hooves rising toward the company, eager to intercept them. They are silent though, unlike the traditional screaming and clashing of blades against leather. No, these are silent, silent and skillful at that silence. There is no doubt that they will slam into our group within seconds.

OOC: Mark Adventure points on rolls. For those that don't know, the total amount you rolled in saving rolls is the amount you get in adventure points- aka xp. Now get ready for juicy delicious combat with a light crunch!
Jul 31, 2020 8:49 pm
Valdus says:
Stoneshadow sees them first, a huddle of activity coming from the Northwest a brush of dust and grass beaten up into the air. A tremble, then a thunder of hooves rising toward the company, eager to intercept them. They are silent though, unlike the traditional screaming and clashing of blades against leather. No, these are silent, silent and skillful at that silence. There is no doubt that they will slam into our group within seconds.

OOC: Mark Adventure points on rolls. For those that don't know, the total amount you rolled in saving rolls is the amount you get in adventure points- aka xp. Now get ready for juicy delicious combat with a light crunch!
AP's are always multiplied by the level of the saving roll... and awarded, pass or fail...
Jul 31, 2020 9:03 pm
OOC: So cool, even more, bully. Thanks Gringnr! Im still waiting for my copy of 5th edition in the mail.
Aug 1, 2020 12:11 am
The young elf spell-caster is taken aback by the suddenness of the attack but he quickly pulls on the reins of his small horse, rising in the stirrups while chanting an ancient magical ritual. A ball of crackling white energy materializes in his right palm and he flings it towards the oncoming horde.
OOC:
Casting TTYF at 100 yards range, damage 26 hit points. Loses 3 WIZ.
Aug 1, 2020 8:33 pm
Akki, his tall, slender elven form not-adequately covered by his makeshift garments, sees riders approaching, with obvious ill intent. He draws his sword, a short sabre, eager to get his muscles warmed up.
Aug 1, 2020 10:14 pm
OOC:
From the description, I'm assuming that combat is imminent and trying to outdistance them is out of the question. If that's not the case, I'll edit my post.
"Oh bloody hell," Belga mutters as she less-than-gracefully dismounts from her pony. The feel of solid ground beneath her feet made her feel much more confident as she readies her warhammer and shield and braces for the assault. As she does, she silently calls upon the spirits of the earth, rocks and stone to give her strength.
Aug 1, 2020 11:58 pm
OOC: I would say it is really really imminent. If you would have made that SR that would have been, literally, another story.
Aug 2, 2020 3:35 pm
It seems one of the horseman has a bow...

OOC: Thran roll a SR 2 vs Luck see if you can pick him off before he fires that shot...
Aug 3, 2020 12:50 pm
Valdus says:

OOC: Thran roll a SR 2 vs Luck see if you can pick him off before he fires that shot...
OOC:
Right away. Still don't know how SRs work in 5th edition compared to 7th, but here is Thran's roll with 20 Luck anyways...

Rolls

SR Luck Roll (Thrandaryl) - (2d6)

(65) = 11

Aug 3, 2020 6:44 pm
Take That You Fool! a magical missile of sheer will crossed between the defenders and the adventurers, breaking air with a shrill scream, slamming into one of the men on horseback. His bow shattered with a sickening snap of wood. The energy did not stop there, it shocked the rider, throwing him from the seat. The horse bucked, turning in sheer terror until it almost rammed into another rider.

At the very least, the spell threw the missile weapon from the fray. And from that moment, it was melee combat, one mass against the other...

OOC: Now its a pool of slaughter!

Rolls

Tomb Defenders Attack! - (17d6+60)

(45414342161155443) + 60 = 117

Aug 4, 2020 12:26 am
OOC:
It's a Slaughter Pool Party!
Belga wades into the fray, glad to have the earth beneath her feet providing the foundation upon which her attacks and defenses were built. As each horseman passed, she would duck and turtle under her shield, striking at the passing beasts vulnerable leg bones with her sturdy hammer.
OOC:
The thought of actually aiming to hit the horses makes me sick, It's not their fault. :(

Rolls

Hammer Horse Hobbling 4d+37 - (4d6+37)

(2414) + 37 = 48

Aug 4, 2020 12:48 pm
Theodore remains mounted, picks out a target and charges into the melee. Roaring as his mount rushes forwards, Theodore slashes with his blade and prepares to swing his horse round for the follow up.

Rolls

Attack with gladius - (3d6+24)

(151) + 24 = 31

Aug 4, 2020 3:17 pm
OOC: I heard on the RPG vine that Gringnr is out. So as not to delay (or destroy) the party I will roll for him.

Rolls

Akki Attacks - (3d6+9)

(435) + 9 = 21

Aug 4, 2020 6:10 pm
Indeed, we are waiting on a final attack by the Mage. It might even be a magical one. Rules be damned dammit!
Aug 5, 2020 7:12 am
Seeing he and his companions swarmed by enemies, Thrandaryl slashes at the nearest thundra thug with his short, curved elven blade, spurring his panicked mount on to try to take them some distance from the fray.
OOC:
Attack with Kukri on this round and additional Dex SR to try and ride away from the melee...

Rolls

Kukri Attack - (2d6+19)

(33) + 19 = 25

DEX SR - (2d6+16)

(43) + 16 = 23

Aug 5, 2020 7:13 am
OOC:
adding extra dice for attack. Unless I'm mistaken we're up at 133 now (but sadly no spite die...).
Last edited August 5, 2020 7:15 am

Rolls

re-rolling 3s - (2d6)

(35) = 8

Aug 5, 2020 3:53 pm
The tomb-defenders, fanatical heathens of the steps, fall upon the adventurers like prey. THey appear like eagles defending a nest. As if swooping with wings outspread, they claw and slice with razor sharp talon-swords.

But it appeared that the adventurers, desecrators of the tomb of Axton, ready with sword and spell slammed into the fight.

Belga, small but powerful, deftly ducked under shields built for larger prey- finding numerous empty fleshy places.

Theodore, working skillfully with his mount, crashed into the attack, always making a spot open for another.

Akki ran in with his short saber, slashing the tundra-eagles behind their backs.

Thran in an impressive show of skill (an emerging talent?), attempted to wield magic, then suddenly opted for his kukri attack with such might that he is able to pull away from the melee for but a moment.

OOC: Excellent bout there, even with two members out (one permantently) your party won the first round, laying 26 hits on the eagle-defenders (I like that name). But they turn around and charge for another attack!

Alas one measly point of spite damage, I will allow a volunteer. Remember spite damage goes THROUGH armor
Aug 5, 2020 3:55 pm
Mad with rage, bent now on revenge as well as defending their sacred king, the eagles of the tundra, the tomb defenders whirl around and go in for another attack- Screaming like hawks in the sky.

Rolls

Eagles of the Tundra (Round 2) - (14d6+67)

(36554244533565) + 67 = 127

Aug 5, 2020 6:04 pm
OOC:
Belga will take the hit. She's, well, sturdy. :)
Last edited August 5, 2020 6:12 pm
Aug 6, 2020 2:11 am
Surrounded by the hordesmen, Belga whirls in a frenzied circle, laying waste to anything that enters her 'personal space,' while protecting her flank with her shield. "This... is no way... to treat... a lady!" she shouts between delivering bone crushing blows.

OOC: Is that DARO Twice???

Rolls

Whirlwind of Hammer smashing (4d+37) - (4d6+37)

(3366) + 37 = 55

Aug 6, 2020 6:34 am
As soon as he sees he's broken away from the fray, Thran pulls on the reins of his horse and swings about to face the second wave of attack. As the thunder of their hooves become deafening, the elven combat mage holds a hand up, shouting a word of power as a stream of firebolts starts raining down on the assailants.
OOC:
Casting Blasting Power for 2D+14 and 4 Wiz points. Do magic-user characters earn AP for their spent Wizardry points as well, by the way ?

Rolls

Blasting Firebolts Damage - (2d6+14)

(23) + 14 = 19

Aug 6, 2020 2:10 pm
Continuing to charge amongst the opposition, Theodore shouts to his companions, "There’s nothing like a bit of action to warm up!" Noticing that Thran has broken free and is preparing a magical attack, Theodore attempts to direct the rushing enemy into a group. Meanwhile he continues to slash at them with his weapon.

Rolls

Attack with Gladius - (3d6+24)

(245) + 24 = 35

Aug 6, 2020 2:58 pm
OOC: Belga, roll again. you got double doubles!
Aug 6, 2020 3:12 pm
With a swift flare of his sabre, Akki the Rugged charges into the fray

Rolls

Akki Attacks - (3d6+9)

(251) + 9 = 17

Aug 6, 2020 6:22 pm
OOC:
Belga continuing her Dance of Destruction...

Rolls

Laying down more hurt - (4d6)

(2636) = 17

Aug 6, 2020 9:01 pm
The horse men take 16 hits of damage, lurching, some fall but the remaining appear to be in a frenzy, even frothing at the mouth. They continue to attack, the closer to death, the more insane their attacks. But one whispers in a tongue that could possibly be interpreted as common. We are not the worst, death is better than the tomb..." and slashes at the adventurers with greater determination.

OOC: Two points of spite to the victors. The eagles are looking ragged but there is no doubt that they will fight to the death.
Aug 6, 2020 9:04 pm
With spit and blood over their flesh, the eagles of the tundra continue to push against those who dare desecrate Lord Axton.

OOC: They some serious spite in that one!

Rolls

Eagles of the Tundra (Round 3) - (12d6+59)

(162663652256) + 59 = 109

Aug 6, 2020 10:06 pm
OOC:
Belga will take the Spite here too.
Aug 7, 2020 2:31 am
Understanding that the time for magic is past, Thran grabs his blade with renewed vigor, and whispers a prayer to his elven ancesters before delving into the fray...

Rolls

Kukri Charge - (2d6+19)

(61) + 19 = 26

Aug 7, 2020 8:03 am
Now slightly bloodied, Belga lets out a mighty war cry and continues smashing her foes into smaller manageable pieces.
Last edited August 7, 2020 8:04 am

Rolls

Smashy Smashy (4d+37) - (4d6+37)

(3514) + 37 = 50

Aug 7, 2020 1:12 pm
Seeing the enemy numbers dropping spurs Theodore on. Again, he turns his mount and charges with swinging blade.

Rolls

Gladius attack - (3d6+24)

(254) + 24 = 35

Aug 7, 2020 1:25 pm
Belga suddenly feels her vision double, shift then return to normal.

OOC: Belga: Roll SR2 vs CON. There is no doubt you will make it just do NOT roll a 1-2 combo.
Aug 7, 2020 3:32 pm
OOC:
Why am I worried... O.o

Rolls

Don't die on me, Foley - (2d6)

(62) = 8

Aug 8, 2020 11:34 pm
"Careful, their blades are poisoned!" Belga shouts to her comrades between blows.
Aug 8, 2020 11:35 pm
Akki surrenders to the wild bloodlust.

Rolls

Akki Attacks - (3d6+9)

(446) + 9 = 23

DARO! - (2d6)

(25) = 7

Aug 9, 2020 5:19 pm
The horseman, momentarily freed of their frenzy, break off from attacking Belga, sensing that is an attack not worth the effort. They split from focusing on her, and rearrange their attack...

OOC: This means that the spite damage will now be randomized.
Aug 9, 2020 5:22 pm
The horseman ignore Belga and start a stronger assault on the remaining adventurers. The hazy sun, becoming lower in the sky, shines on the blades of the tomb's defenders.

Rolls

Eagles of the Tundra (Round 4) - (9d6+43)

(314525514) + 43 = 73

Aug 9, 2020 9:32 pm
Thrandaryl has heard Belga's warning and he twists and turns on his saddle, trying his best to get under the enemy's guard while keeping their lethal blades away. As he fights on, his lips move in a shrill elven cry and his curved kukri starts glistening with its own, eerie light...
OOC:
Casting Vorpal Blade for 2 WIZ, doubling the result of the attack dice... so we get a 11x2 = 22+19 = 41 total
Last edited August 9, 2020 9:34 pm

Rolls

Vorpal Dance Of The Twisty Elves - (2d6+19)

(65) + 19 = 30

Aug 10, 2020 1:31 am
"Time send these birds South for the winter!"
OOC:
+37 for Combat Adds
Last edited August 10, 2020 1:32 am

Rolls

Dual Meat Tenderizer Attack - (4d6)

(4642) = 16

Aug 10, 2020 6:39 am
Heeding Belga’s warning, Theodore focuses on keeping the poisoned blades away using his shield, whilst trying to find openings to respond with his own weapon.

Rolls

Gladius attack - (3d6+24)

(252) + 24 = 33

Aug 10, 2020 7:24 pm
In for Akki, once again, he tries to cast a spell but failing that...

Rolls

Akki Attacks - (3d6+19)

(151) + 19 = 26

Aug 10, 2020 7:33 pm
Surprisingly, Akki the rogue's attack became quite vicious- cutting into one man and cleaving the other into half his torso. The thief even looked at his blade, surprised by the carnage.

The eight men are dead, as well as one of their horses. They blades glow an eerie green, slick with the tint of spite. In a surprising turn of events the adventurers killed the eagles of the tundra, opening the way for the Tomb of Axton just continuing to the a ridge in the northwest.

OOC: NICE, the math did not work out exactly but y'all did very well against those damn eagles. Rack up 160 pts for the lot of you, and 50 each for the fighting ability. A bit new at this AP bit so I may be more or less generous in the future.
Aug 11, 2020 9:44 am
KaeJae says:
OOC:
So 210 AP altogether?
OOC:
I'm getting the feeling it's 50 AP each + 160 divided between us four, so maybe more like 90 each... also, we'd best try to keep up with the extra AP from SR (and WIZ points spent in spell casting, in Thran's case...). I'm doing my best to keep up a tally, but that's a lot of math to be doing in mid-fight uh ? (-;
Aug 11, 2020 4:04 pm
OOC: AshDrunbar, you are correct. Is this where the ol' GM says "What do you do?"
Aug 12, 2020 3:55 pm
The elf dismounts next to one of the fallen tundra swordsmen and examines the body with circumspection.

"I did not think anyone lived that far into the tundra, certainly not armed men. Do you think they came from the Tomb ?" he looks around the frozen plains with trepidation, "Let us hope there are no others coming our way... My magic has limits, after all."
OOC:
Looking through the enemies' gear for anything of value, or any clue as to their goals / affiliations etc.
Last edited August 12, 2020 9:29 pm

Rolls

Investigation (Talent / INT+5) - (2d6+31)

(34) + 31 = 38

Aug 12, 2020 4:03 pm
Belga nudges one of the bodies with the toe of her boot. "Did they say anything other than 'Agghh' and..." (she grabs her throat and makes a choking gurgling sound). "I don't remember, but if they did it might give us a clue."
Last edited August 12, 2020 4:03 pm
Aug 12, 2020 6:54 pm
OOC: Smooth using your talents. I like it. The favor of the gods will bring bounties galore! For AP sake, say Thran rolled an S2 roll.

Thran looks through the remain of the eagles of the tundra. Their robes are dark with a brown trim, perfectly protecting them against the savage climate of the tundra. Some even have furs against the cold, others veils for the harsh sun.

Many of them have satchels, with a full complement of items used for camping out on the tundra. None have money, as what can one buy out in the middle of the lands without horizon? A few have tattoos with a giant double axe on thier right arms. Some even have an amulet of said axe around their neck.

OOC: Using inspiration from Risus or Dungeon World, the satchels give you a +1 on luck for finding any item that has to do with campiting out in the open. Yes, use your imagination profitably!
Aug 12, 2020 7:08 pm
Distracted by the onslaught, no doubt the adventurers have missed a scene shimmering just off to the northwest, a strange elevation surrounded by what looks like human forms.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/596011677057548289/743181684488405022/Screenshot_2020-08-12_at_13.55.13_-_Edited.png
Aug 12, 2020 9:54 pm
"D'you think we ought to borrow their robes and such as gear against the weather?" Belga casts a quick glance at the bodies, then grumbles, "Not that it'd help me much." She gathers whatever looks like it could be of use and stows the survival supplies in her pack. As she's doing so, something on the horizon catches her eye.

"Um, anyone with better vision than mine want to take a gander at that? Looks a bit like a cairn or ceremonial mound or something, from what I can tell." She points in the direction of the mound.
Aug 12, 2020 10:18 pm
Thran stands up after gathering a handful of the talismans he found on the bodies. "These do not seem to be cursed, yet I feel some sort of ancient shamanic magic emanating from them."

He gets back on his saddle and shadows his eyes with the palm of his right hand, peering intently at the tumulus to the northwest.

"Looks like we found what we're after. I don't see the humanoid shapes moving... probably statues ?"
Aug 13, 2020 2:20 pm
Looks as though," Belga replies thoughtfully. "Or very tall people standing very still."
Aug 15, 2020 7:06 am
Theodore takes some of the furs from one of the bodies and puts them on. "That’s better already, they knew how to keep the cold out!"

Looking into the distance Theodore can’t make anything out himself. "Thran, which ways looks best for us to approach from?"
OOC:
So sorry it’s been a while since I posted, it’s been a crazy week!
Aug 15, 2020 11:34 pm
The elf doesn't turn his head and keeps observing the distant mound for a moment before replying soberly:
"Whichever way we may choose to approach, we shall be easy to spot out in the open. Yet I fear the greater danger lies within..."
Last edited August 15, 2020 11:35 pm
Aug 16, 2020 12:04 am
"If we're going to be visible, it might be best to use their clothes so we look less conspicuous." Belga scans the horizon again, looking for any signs of someone or something moving. "Unless, of course, whoever built that thing hates these guys."
Aug 16, 2020 4:47 pm
The elf nods as he starts getting one of the fur-lined cloaks from the eagle-warriors and wrapping it around his frail shoulders.
"Good thinking, Bel."
He seems to hesitate, looking sideways towards the dwarven warrior and trying his best to conceal the fact he's sizing her up, comparing her muscular, stocky frame to their enemies' longer, somewhat thinner coats.
"Do you... will you find something to your, er... liking ?"
Last edited August 16, 2020 4:48 pm
Aug 16, 2020 11:47 pm
Belga removes a set of robes from the smallest of the fallen, then takes her hunting knife to the sleeves to shorten them. Broad of shoulders and torso, the robes seem to fit passably well, although the hemline makes them look more like a duster than a jacket. "It's not artistry by any means, but it ought to work." She gives Thran a thumbs up, then has to quickly push the sleeve up a bit so that it's visible. "More or less."
Last edited August 16, 2020 11:47 pm
Aug 17, 2020 2:32 am
OOC:
I am back, thanks Valgus! Recovering from a (minor but quite uncomfortable) surgery. Eager to get back into it.
Aug 17, 2020 2:57 am
OOC:
Ouch, I hope you're feeling better!
Aug 17, 2020 10:48 am
Gringnr says:
OOC:
Eager to get back into it.
OOC:
Welcome back, man ! Glad to have you with us.
Aug 17, 2020 5:35 pm
The sun began its rabid descent into the western oblivion. The robes fit relatively well for all that don them. Protective garments in the harsh of the coming night. The two moons glow in their respective places, one greater and one lesser. Alive, shedding a full light on the mound to the Northwest. The wind flaps tatters of clothing on the figures upon the mound, but they do not move at all. Would they be so lucky that this be the only things that guard the Tomb of Axton. The plains whistle a response in the air, nothing but wind is the answer.

OOC: Welcome back indeed. It was a long and pleasurable weekend for me (perhaps too much) but I am back on the task at hand.
Aug 18, 2020 3:41 am
KaeJae says:
"If we're going to be visible, it might be best to use their clothes so we look less conspicuous." Belga scans the horizon again, looking for any signs of someone or something moving. "Unless, of course, whoever built that thing hates these guys."
You don't need to tell me twice Akki thinks, glad of the warmth as he pulls takes one of the the robes from a fallen warrior and drapes it over his makeshift outfit. He scans the bodies for any other equipment, boots, or anything that can make his journey less miserable and more livable...
Aug 22, 2020 12:09 pm
After waiting for everyone to change into their salvaged tundra clothing, the elf Thrandaryl addresses the group:

"Now...we need to decide if we're going to camp outside of this place - and risk another attack from whoever these savages were - or try and find the entrance into the Tomb - and risk all other brands of untimely demise, but we all knew the risks when we signed on for this. I'm saying we go in now, what do you all say ?"
Aug 23, 2020 1:47 pm
AshDrunbar says:
After waiting for everyone to change into their salvaged tundra clothing, the elf Thrandaryl addresses the group:

"Now...we need to decide if we're going to camp outside of this place - and risk another attack from whoever these savages were - or try and find the entrance into the Tomb - and risk all other brands of untimely demise, but we all knew the risks when we signed on for this. I'm saying we go in now, what do you all say ?"
"Whether I am to find glory or death, I would prefer to charge into it, rather than wait for it." Akki says, though even he cannot say whether his courage, or his desire to get out of the cold is talking...
Aug 23, 2020 3:49 pm
"I'm for in as well. At least it'll be a little less exposed."
Aug 23, 2020 6:59 pm
The breeze picks up slightly and one can see the tatters upon the scarecrows upon the mound blow. It is an eerie silence that beckons and warns, whispering. As if the gods are holding a cupped hand to blessed lips and whispering...

"Move..."

Rolls

Damn you all dont make me roll! - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Aug 24, 2020 10:11 am
The elven combat mage shows no sign of impatience as he waits for everyone to speak their mind, yet inside him the thirst to finally uncover the mystic secrets of the legendary Tomb of Axton is almost too much to bear.

Glancing at Theodore, who's sofar remained silent, he decides it's time to settle the matter: as he turns his luminous, almond-shaped golden-green eyes towards his companions, their irises seem to gleam with an unsettling intensity. After a few moments spent in ominous, utter silence, he calmly announces:

"May The Five Fates Be With Us All."

He then prods his small horse towards the mound and the macabre figures guarding it.
Last edited August 24, 2020 10:12 am
Aug 25, 2020 7:04 am
"Hyah!" Belga urges her pony forward across the barren wastes to find whatever fate waits them.
Aug 28, 2020 2:58 am
Akki mounts his horse, and spurs the beast onward, racing to catch up with his companions...
Aug 28, 2020 3:57 pm
The site of the mound looms larger, it is rises by at least twenty feet (3) tapering down to a strange circle of stones (2) of various sizes and compositions. There are three tattered figurines (1). The slab in the center is a sloppy mess of old blood and gore, splashed about from old and ancient battles. This can be seen from a good distance.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/596011677057548289/748931821315686400/Screenshot_2020-08-28_at_10.45.21.png
Aug 30, 2020 9:16 am
Thran reins his chestnut horse in about 15 feet from the first standing stones and, after dismounting, approaches carefully . He peers intently first at the stones, then at the three figurines, before his eyes finally fall upon the mess of dried blood upon the altar.
What ancient horrors roamed this site ? What evil still burrowed in its depths ? He scanned the surrounding scene in search of anything that looked like a way in, but remaining careful not to touch any of the grizzly relics.
OOC:
Time to investigate again: hidden entrance / traps / old lore about the blood rituals performed here...
Last edited August 30, 2020 8:55 pm

Rolls

Talent, Investigate - (2d6+31)

(16) + 31 = 38

Sep 1, 2020 5:58 am
Akki nears the site, and dismounts. The site of the figurines and bloody altar cause him to feel a chill despite his newly scavenged clothing. He studies the circle of stones from a spot 6 feet or so from Thran, but no farther from the stones.
Sep 2, 2020 2:36 pm
Quote:
OOC:Time to investigate again: hidden entrance / traps / old lore about the blood rituals performed here...
Tell me, quite precisely, how you investigate...
Sep 2, 2020 7:22 pm
OOC:
Thran will take a close look at the stone circle first, trying to see if he can make sense of the symbols on them, gets reminded of old runes, diagrams, notices repeated patterns, etc. Then he will carefully examine each one of the figurines but will remain at a distance. He will also observe the altar at the top of the mound but will not enter the triangle of the three figureheads with their tattered clothes, he'll examine it all from afar (i.e. from just outside the circle, about 2 feet from the stones). During the whole process he will refrain from touching anything...
Last edited September 2, 2020 7:27 pm
Sep 5, 2020 10:41 pm
Akki moves near enough to Thran to assist him quickly, should the need arise, yet maintains enough distance to allow Thran to investigate the circle...
Sep 6, 2020 4:15 am
ok Skill on your best lvl 3 (30). With help...
Sep 7, 2020 8:12 am
Belga hangs back slightly, preferring to feel 'useful' looking out for flesh and blood (even if decaying) enemies rather than magical threats. She whispers a few quiet words, makes the sign of the hammer, then turns back to observe her compatriots. "Anything I can do to help, or should I just keep watch. Over here. Not too close to that thing."
Sep 9, 2020 3:16 am
Valdus says:
ok Skill on your best lvl 3 (30). With help...
Who are you talking to here? Sorry...
Sep 9, 2020 7:28 pm
The slab is large, and it is going to take a number of people to move it. There is about an inch thick of slab by four feet and seven feet. Surely it will take an effort to get it going.
OOC:
Beginning of school under this Crown affair has made things far more chaotic. That and an underground pipe problem has thrown everything for a loop. I plan to post but life is on my tail!
Sep 12, 2020 12:56 pm
AshDrunbar sent a note to Valdus
Last edited September 12, 2020 12:57 pm
Sep 16, 2020 8:41 pm
The slab stays as it always had, seemingly forever. All that can be seen are knuckle and claw markes about the giant slab, Remains that appear to be something of a metal nature far far in the past. But nothing else stands out. There are no markings. Tragically this does not seem like the noble burial of a once frightfully powerful tundra lord.

The wind whistles, grabs the red rags of the scarecrow guardians and then lets them go to flutter for a few moments.
Sep 17, 2020 1:22 pm
Thran smothers a sigh of disappointment as he realizes his excitement at having found what they sought may have been premature. His eyes turned towards the stone circle and the symbols, trying to find a clue as to what this place was, and if there was anything like a map or directions of any kind to Rappan Athuk's tumulus.
Last edited September 18, 2020 9:46 pm
Sep 18, 2020 9:06 am
"Hmm, not what we were looking for then? Unless its hiding something somewhere..." Belga gives the whols tableau an appraising look - from a safe distance, of course.
Sep 20, 2020 3:02 am
Akki says, "Can anyone see things that are hidden? Or does one of us need to inspect the thing with hand and eye?"
Sep 20, 2020 12:32 pm
Thran answers, his voice calm but his eyes roving warily from the grizzly-looking scarecrows to the sacrificial altar:

"Who knows what ancient curses still hover in this evil place ? I guess we could try to approach and enter the circle, but I'd advise caution."
After a moment he adds: "Maybe tie a rope around my waist, if I am to step inside ? These tumuli are known to cave in..."

AshDrunbar sent a note to Valdus
Last edited September 20, 2020 12:34 pm
Sep 22, 2020 8:58 am
"Right," Belga replies with a nod, and takes a length of rope from her pack. She ties a loop with a rather ornate and substantive knot and tosses the looped end to Tharn. "This ought to do the trick." She plays out the length of it to give him freedom to move, then sets her feet, wraps the rope a few time around her forearm, and takes a firm grip.
Last edited September 22, 2020 8:58 am
Sep 22, 2020 8:20 pm
OOC:
Tis not an altar exactly just an elevated slab.

The tatters about the "scarecrows" flutter in the wind. Thran notices nothing but when he takes a step into the circle...
Nothing happens.
Sep 23, 2020 9:19 am
Still looking around warily, Thran will approach first the figures covered with rags, then the elevated stone slab.

"It doesn't look like there is anything for us here, besides rags, half-erased symbols of the crudest facture and some dried-up blood stain, probably a goat's or a pig's. Maybe this place is sacred to the tundra people and they were trying to protect it... but this is not the Tomb, not even close," he says dejectedly as he climbs across the small mound.
Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pm
The tattered gruesome scarecrows, cascade in the strong winds, dust collecting in eye sockets and ruined bone. Nothing happens, nothing happens at all. They are bothered about as much as the sky or the horizon are bothered by the presence of these sudden visit of people.
Sep 25, 2020 10:18 am
Once he reaches the top of the hill, the elf will scrutinize the horizon on all sides, see if he can spot any other signs of elevation across the frozen plains. "The tomb must be close, now..." he thinks, using his hand as a makeshift visor to block out the cold glare of the distant sun filtering through the clouds in a pale halo.

Rolls

Scanning the Horizon (INT) - (2d6+26)

(66) + 26 = 38

Sep 25, 2020 10:18 am
OOC:
double 6s, rolling again...

Rolls

Scanning, BONUS roll - (2d6)

(54) = 9

Sep 26, 2020 5:28 pm
Akki stands at the ready, hand on the hilt of his blade.
Sep 29, 2020 10:29 pm
Thran looks one way then the other, suddenly shocked at realizing that there is no more evidence needed. For the adventurers need not look for the Tomb...

They are stand ON the Tomb, the slab is obviously the entrance, the final seal of a life spent in conquest.
Sep 30, 2020 5:17 pm
The elf battle wizard calls out to his companions:

"Over here ! Help me lift that slab !"

All the while he keeps darting worried looks around the place: this felt too easy, the bedraggled figures and carved stones seemed to almost taunt him, beckoning as if daring the party to enter to their doom...

"Careful for tricks and traps," he warned them, "Warlord Axton was famed for his mischievious and cruel ways in life, I have reasons to believe his methods remain just as wicked, even long after His death... !"
Last edited September 30, 2020 7:08 pm
Oct 2, 2020 3:32 am
AshDrunbar says:
The elf battle wizard calls out to his companions:

"Over here ! Help me lift that slab !"

All the while he keeps darting worried looks around the place: this felt too easy, the bedraggled figures and carved stones seemed to almost taunt him, beckoning as if daring the party to enter to their doom...

"Careful for tricks and traps," he warned them, "Warlord Axton was famed for his mischievious and cruel ways in life, I have reasons to believe his methods remain just as wicked, even long after His death... !"
Akki approaches cautiously. He is wary, but eagerness to get out of the cold has given him some measure of false bravery...
Oct 5, 2020 6:24 pm
Belga cracks her knuckles and approaches the slab. "At least its something I can get my hands on. Ready lads?" Despite her bravado, she makes sure to loosen her weapons before she gets to the appointed spot.
Oct 10, 2020 2:14 am
KaeJae says:
Belga cracks her knuckles and approaches the slab. "At least its something I can get my hands on. Ready lads?" Despite her bravado, she makes sure to loosen her weapons before she gets to the appointed spot.
Akki moves to lend a hand, apprehensive, yet eager for whatever comes next. Perhaps it is a desire to forget the cold, rather than bravery or the thrill of adventure that guides his hand. But no matter.
Oct 19, 2020 9:02 am
OOC:
Okay good people,

It would seem the thread - as is sadly often the case - is dying an untimely death and is about to be buried as deep as the infamous tomb of our dear old Axton. I've tried to reach out to Valdus a few days ago but still haven't received an answer.

If this is it, I'd like to say it has been a pleasure, and hope to meet you all in other written-form endeavors. Until then, so long... !

FYI: I am currently designing / running a text-based major campaign, set in my own version of Faerûn (different timeline, geopolitics etc). Feel free to reach out to me through PM here, or on Discord if you want to know more (AshDrunbar#3628).
Last edited October 19, 2020 9:06 am
Oct 19, 2020 8:15 pm
I'm sad to say I think you're right, Ash. It was good playing with you all and I hope to see you in game again!
Oct 25, 2020 5:10 pm
Yes, for my part, I have not kept up as perhaps I should, being spread rather thin. My apologies...

You do not have permission to post in this thread.