Cat & Mouse: Planetside Edition

Aug 11, 2020 2:08 am
Chaleydonia - Christophsis

Like thunder, rolling before a storm head, the air vibrated with the sounds of war. It felt as if the crystalline surface of the planet itself sung, echoing the sound of blaster fire and explosions. The Separatist fleet had come out of no where, blockading the planet and trapping Senator Bail Organa and his relief effort, and while his contingent of Clones were keeping the conquering droid army at bay, their supplies were dwindling and they were on the verge of being overrun.

Rumor was the Republic fleet was trying to punch through, and indeed if one were to look to the sky the telltale flashes were there, the flashes of a fighters engines as they turned, the flash of explosions and laser fire, shapes like tiny insects crawling across the sky. Nervously the troopers looked to the small warehouse where the Senator and what remained of command were gathered, the occasional blue reflection indicating at least communications were working.

Someone yelled, urging everyone to take cover as the easily identifiable zip of the Vulture droids powerful engines could be heard above the din, their laser fire strafing the ground, the droids continuing to test the Republic defenses. Despite the threat, the hard duracrete still smoldering, Commander Colt strode confidently through the pale smoke, his helmeted gaze taking in the troopers behind their cover, that even without being able to see the Commander's eyes appeared to be judging.

Colt cut an imposing figure, his personalized ARC Trooper armor somehow seeming clean and fresh despite wearing it in battle for the past number of days. Gruffly he ordered those that were within shouting distance to fall in, calling for attention as he briskly walked the ranks, casting them in what could only be considered in appraisal.

"You all will have to do," he stated, his gravely voice making it seem a statement of fact. "The Navy has been trying to drop supplies to us for the past few days. The Clankers' air superiority has made the task near impossible but one of our boys was able to get through ... and delivered our gift behind enemy lines.

His helmeted gaze swept across them, "And we're going after it ... so gear up."
OOC:
@Aspiroth and Robobax - Arius and V will be joining Commander Colt on the mission. Describe their reactions and post any questions you may have (either IC for Colt or OOC for me).

@Aspiroth - you still need to 'purchase' your gear and add to your character sheet. I don't need an IC post for that but I would like to know what your character is carrying with him.

Welcome Aboard!
Aug 11, 2020 8:31 am
OOC:
Sorry about that. I'll see to it straight after work!
Aug 11, 2020 4:46 pm
OOC:
Cool, that we are able to start. Question to the GM, where are we right now, I understood, that we are attacking some enemy front, but what exactly is going on? How many clones are there with us?
V finds himself again at the frontline against the Seperatists. Although he's happy to crush some scapheads he still is unsure of what the missionobjective was again.
"Commander, I'm having as much fun as you do, but what was our objective again? Just running into the enemy frontline? I'm sure as hell I could do that..."

He starts to look at his sorroundings, how many brothers are there with him? Is there cover or any supply crates, where he can take explosives from? He sees Arius, probably not a clone, from what he looks like. A Jedi? Seeing a lightsaber in action is going to make V's day and so he starts to shoot in the smoke, while taking cover.
"Wouldn't have thought, to get a shitton of new friends, from our CIS friends. Let's have fun guys!"
Aug 11, 2020 5:35 pm
Arius salutes Commander Colt, a man he has alot of respect for.

"Yes, Sir! Stealth or firepower, Sir, and how many men?"

Although for some reason he seems to have given himself a proper name, Arius is very much a clone, or at least he wears clone armour and carrries regulation weaponry. He does appear unusually dedicated, however.

Waiting for his commander's response, Arius runs the squad's support weaponry through his head, trying to guage what might be spared from the general defence for a job of this type. Stealth was not his speciality, although he would always give his utmost to succeed.
Last edited August 11, 2020 5:36 pm
Aug 11, 2020 5:55 pm
Aspiroth sent a note to Seuss
Last edited August 11, 2020 5:55 pm
Aug 11, 2020 7:28 pm
Chaleydonia - Christophsis

The grizzled commander stopped his pacing, hands clasped behind his back as he turned to face the trooper the men had taken to calling V, "Take note men. This is the kind of enthusiasm we need more of." He paused, seeming in thought before replying to V's questions, "Our objective trooper is to retrieve our air dropped supply crates from behind enemy lines. I suppose we can forgive the flyboys for mistaking the Clankers for Clones ... they did have have Vultures circling. And No! ... we will not be running into the enemy's frontlines. Not if it can be helped at any rate. We'll skirt the front lines under the cover of artillery and hope things don't get cute."

Commander Colt's helmeted gaze swept over the gathered squad, perhaps wondering if more men could be spared, "There's not much gear to be spared but take a few moments to grab what you can. We leave in 5 mics."
OOC:
Situation Report: V and Arius were trapped on the planet Christophsis (in the capital city of Chaledonia) after the Separatists moved in and blockaded the planet. They were on planet assisting Senator Bail Organa on a relief mission. The Republic is attempting to break through the blockade and bring supplies (as well as reinforcements) but thus far have not been successful.
Commander Colt as ordered your squad to assist him in retrieving a Republic supply drop that was dropped behind the Separatist side of the battle line.

A squad is made up of (9) troopers. Here is a breakdown of the command structure. So it will be Commander Colt, a Clone Sergeant, V and Arius, and (6) other troopers.

The Clone Wars episode Cat & Mouse is a great visual representation ... though deals with the Republic Fleet breaking through the blockade.

I have approved your characters (and sorry I had forgotten to do that before) so you should be able to post as your characters now.

You all may have the combat knife, tactical harness, and (2) frag grenades to add to you gear.

@Aspiroth if you want to flip a Destiny Point you can have a heavier weapon. You collectively have (2) at the moment.
Aug 11, 2020 7:46 pm
Arius checks his equipment is all in place, clips two grenades to his harness, and uses any remaining time to give his weapon a quick once over. He was expecting to need it.

"Right guys, let's be at 'em!"

He was glad to be moving. Take the battle to the enemy, rather than sitting on the defensive. Not that he couldn't hold a position with the best of them, but they were here to win the war, not just avoid losing it.
OOC:
Arius won't load himself up with more weaponry without orders to do so. After all, he doesn't know how many supplies need carrying back. The last thing he wants to do is have to abandon a badly needed weapon
Last edited August 11, 2020 7:46 pm
Aug 13, 2020 9:54 pm
OOC:
I won't take the combat knife, because I have a modified Vibroknife. I don't need the harness, but I take one grenade. My encoumberance should be at 15 then.
V looks at his comrades and although he is not in a leading position a small speech should be ok.
"Alright guys, you've heard the bosses let's have some fun and destroy these scrap machines. My name is V and I challenge everyone of you to get more of these Droids than I do! The republic counts on us, give them everything you got! FOR THE REPUBLIC!"

With an instance V jumps accros the barricade and moves to the next cover. The battle can only be won, if the attack is strong enough, but staying on spot and hoping that the artillery will do their jobs, doesn't fit V's mentality.
"THIS IS FOR MY FAMILY YOU SOULESS BASTARDS!"
OOC:
From my perspective I should be on Colt's hight and taking cover besides him while shooting through the smoke on the enemy frontline. Let me know, if I should role, or if you want to save time you can do it, Seuss.
Aug 13, 2020 10:33 pm
Arius doesn't budge an inch, but turns to glare at the other troopers, just in case they also get stupid ideas.

"Orders are to skirt the front lines under artillery support, so that is what we are going to do. Anyone else who disobeys will have ME to deal with."

"Besides, the poor bastard doesn't even know where he's meant to be going!"

He shrugs, and looks over to Commander Colt.
Last edited August 13, 2020 10:34 pm
Aug 14, 2020 1:59 am
With near reckless abandon V - but not before giving an impassioned speech to boost morale - the stout trooper leaped the barricade and moved to the nearest cover. The flurry of movement pulled the attention of Commander Colt, his thoughts on the soldier's sudden charge hidden behind the faceplate of his heavy ARC Trooper armor as Arius cautioned the rest of the squad against following their brother over the wall until the artillery could provide cover.

"Sergeant," the Commander barked, "Get your men organized and over that wall. I want overlapping fire arcs and scan for enemies." Over their the tactical communicators in their helmets they could hear the ARC Trooper's grizzled commands, ordering the artillery to open fire while subsequently ordering those Clones that would remain to defend the base to throw out a smoke screen.

The ground rumbled, the whistle of the heavy kinetic shells heard even through their helmets as they screamed over head, as the air began to fill with smoke. The squad, a bit disjointed despite their Sergeants urging, eventually made it over the barricade and perhaps a bit rattled by the continuous pounding the Clone artillery was putting on the droid army's front lines as they joined V's side. Commander Colt, eyeless stare holding the Clone Sergeant for a brief moment before waving the squad on, "Get them together trooper."

Cautiously stepping down the line the ARC Trooper paused at V to place a calming hand on the aggressive soldier's shoulder, "Why don't we let me take point," he stated simply and quietly for the troopers benefit only. With a final glance at the hastily assembled squad Colt began to move out, quickly shifting from cover to cover as the Republic forces continued to screen them with smoke and heavy guns.
OOC:
React as you see fit. Also include in your next post on how you will be moving and submit a (Easy) Stealth roll with (3) boost dice for the smoke.

Rolls

Clone Sergeant Leadership

1 Success, 3 Advantage, 2 Failure, 2 Threat

Total: 1 Failure, 1 Advantage

Aug 14, 2020 4:03 am
Joined by his comrades V becomes more confident, they should still attack the enemy, although he should not underestimate them. He looks to the seargent, who asked him, to give him the lead.

"No offense, commander, but I will do it my way. But don't get me wrong, I won't interfere with your commands for the others, sir. And most important, I won't risk the lifes of my comrades..."

Colt's authority doesn't seem to go through to V's mind, but he understands, that he should look out for his comrades.

With that said, V again pushes himself over the barricade. Not wanting to risk the lives of his comrades he moves to next barricade. With every step he comes closer to the enemy frontline, that he is not supposed to attack. He moves quick and tries to use the smoke to his advantage. No need to be quiet, the battlefield seems to cover every big sound, that comes from his armor plates and his voice over the com.

"Guys, I will just get to next postion and try to look, if there is a good way around the frontline. If you guys don't want to fight, I won't do it, although, I would really like shoot some scrap heads..."
OOC:
I overread the part with skirting around the frontline... Sorry
Last edited August 14, 2020 4:05 am

Rolls

Sneaking to the next position

4 Success, 3 Advantage, 1 Failure, 1 Threat

Total: 3 Success, 2 Advantage

Aug 14, 2020 5:00 pm
At the accusation of cowardice, Arius bristles, but this time keeps his mouth shut. He had talked out of place before, where he should have let the Sergeant deal with the matter, and he wasn't going to make that mistake again. However, he was rapidly altering his judgement of Colt.

Arius advances swiftly, but making sure not to outpace his comrades, giving precise covering fire and the odd word of encouragement.

Rolls

Stealth

5 Success

Total: 5 Success

Aug 14, 2020 5:01 pm
OOC:
I'm sure I've done something wrong with the roll. Please let me know what I should have added! :)
Aug 14, 2020 5:03 pm
OOC:
Hmm... I'll add the same dice as Robo, just in case!

Rolls

Stealth 2

1 Success, 3 Advantage, 1 Threat

Total: 1 Success, 2 Advantage

Aug 14, 2020 8:32 pm
With a somewhat relaxed view of military discipline, accompanied by a blatant - though polite - disregard for Commander Colt's order, V pushed himself away from cover to rush forward weapon trained downrange with a challenge for his squad mates to follow. In contrast, Arius for his part silently chastising his self for stepping on his sergeant's toes, knowing the chain of command was put in place for a reason. Reasons that in the end saved lives. With more individualized encouragement to his brothers, Arius too pushed off to swiftly join V behind a blown out speeder turned on it's side by the pock marked road.

Commander Colt stood in silence, one not needing to be an expert in reading body language to know that the ARC Trooper was bristling, as he watched the squad move out to join Aruis and V. Gripping his weapon tightly he followed, his no nonsense gait as he stomped after the troopers a clear indication of his ire.

Pushing his way to the front of the line, his helmeted gaze swept the area in front of them, the wide plaza that had been their base turning into a city street as buildings now towered to either side, the smoke slowly dissipating as the artillery fire began to become less frequent. "Sergeant. Move the squad into that building up ahead on the left," he growled over his shoulder, "CT-0450. A word."

With an emphatic Sir! the Clone Sergeant had the squad moving, the path V and Arius had chosen affording ample cover, as the troopers expertly moved ahead a block and entered the selected building, two troopers taking a knee at the door to provide covering fire should it be called for.

Commander Colt stood head cocked to the side and staring at CT-0450, called V, without saying a word. The confident, aggressive trooper could all but guess the Commander's eyes were narrowed behind the darkened visor of his helmet, his body rigid and erect and clearly not particularly happy with the him.

"Let's get one thing straight Soldier. This is my command. You can either get on board with that or," he spat, his gloved hand pointed back the way they came, "You can see yourself back to Command. There will be a lot of Clankers to shoot at that way if that's all your after." He crossed his arms, his posture becoming more relaxed as and his tone civil, "The chain of command exist for a reason and should be respected ... There is a time and a place for more independent thinking and that is a definite conversation we can have but right now it's my way or the highway."
OOC:
It should be noted ... that V is absolutely (whether intentional or not) acting according to his Duty. Kudos! @Robobax

@Aspiroth - Correct assumption in the added dice for the dice pool. And I don't mean to be patronizing so please don't take it that way ... more an FYI on the system but - Typically I will try and provide you with the difficulty of the roll (Easy in this case) which will tell you how man of the Difficulty Dice (purple) you will need to add. Alternatively if you want to perform and action in your post or skill roll or etc. you can roll assuming an (Average) difficulty and just let me add or subtract as needed.

You both crushed your Stealth rolls and earned a number of advantage so I am saying that you were able to cover for the rest of your squad so no further rolls to get to the building.

@Aspiroth - I purposefully did not state that you moved ahead with the squad or not. You are free to react as you choose ... though I can't say it would be fun for V to have a witness to his dressing down by Colt :-)

@Robobax - Please react as you see fit :-)
Aug 14, 2020 10:39 pm
Arius advances half-way to the building and, with a hand signal and a glance for permission at the Sergeant, hunkers down to cover the commander and his errant comrade. He is thus out of earshot, but still able to jump into action should trouble occur at either location.

Carbine at the ready, ever alert, he waits for them to rejoin the squad.
OOC:
Thanks! So, an average difficulty would be two purples, then?
Aug 14, 2020 11:04 pm
Aspiroth says:
OOC:
Thanks! So, an average difficulty would be two purples, then?
OOC:
Correct. (2) Purple dice for Average difficulty
Aug 15, 2020 2:40 am
Standing closest to the exit of the building, in which they went, V looks at his commander and speaks through his helmet.
"Don't make my day sir, I love to shoot some droids, but I don't like dying on the contrary. I don't want the sternest clone trooper in the army to be my enemy..." V stands up from his kneeling position and moves his helmet up, so that Colt can see his eyes. "If you think your way to keep us safe is the best, than I will follow you, brother." He puts the helmet back in the original postion and gets back in the kneeling postion and speaks again with a humorous tone in his voice "But don't let me wait to long to get some of these bastards."

While looking outside to spot, if any enemy has taken notice of them V looks at the soroundings of the building, if there is a way through the building. A better route around the frontline would be through the buildings on the side of the road, or for the best, above them.
OOC:
I'd like to roll on Perception, if there is a good route through the building, or in general if there is one in general. @Seuss Player interaction incoming, just need a good reason.
Last edited August 15, 2020 2:42 am

Rolls

Looking for a way and the building itself

2 Success, 2 Advantage

Total: 2 Success, 2 Advantage

Aug 15, 2020 2:51 am
OOC:
Arius, if my playstyle concerns you, or if you got problems with it, just let me know, id rather change something, that decrease your fun in the game.
Last edited August 15, 2020 2:51 am
Aug 15, 2020 5:44 pm
OOC:
Robo, you are asking the wrong person. Seuss is the GM. I am merely reacting in character to a colleague who just does his own thing, and accuses his comrades of not wanting to fight. That reaction shouldn't exactly be a surprise, I hope? Admittedly, I'm not a soldier, but I've not seen much evidence of loose cannons being popular in the military.

As long as you don't expect Arius to protect you each time you run off, then go ahead. Just don't complain to me if you get shot.

I'll give you this - considering we are all clones, it would be pretty boring if we all acted the same way to everything. Just remember that in the end we'll join the others, teamwork will be important, and our success will rely on us working together. Until then, have fun!
load next

Thread locked