INTEREST CHECK: theatre of the mind (5e)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 18, 2020 2:05 pm
I remember playing D&D as a kid all night in a dark room, or more often in a dark tent, only flicking on a flashlight to see a dice roll, or look up a stat. Eyes clamped shut, letting my imagination take me away.

Then came miniatures, roll up battle mats, tokens, etc. etc.

I'm not knocking them, I like playing in all kinds of set ups. But I haven't played a purely imagined game in decades. I think this platform is perfect. Plus I'm new, I want to try DM my first play-by-post, and I don't really know how all the fancy maps with tokens etc. work yet.

So..... I would like to start with the 5e starting mini-adventure Lost Mines of Phandelver, but....

NO diagrams
NO maps
NO handouts
NO props
NO pictures

posted by anyone. Only words. Only imagination.

Anyone interested?
Last edited August 18, 2020 2:15 pm
Aug 18, 2020 2:56 pm
I was assuming that's how all pbp games are played? o.O
Aug 18, 2020 2:59 pm
Not all but many. Although at least on here, almost everyone at least uses a character portrait for their PCs
Aug 18, 2020 3:03 pm
no character portraits either
when we get to the roll characters stage, players will be able to describe, in as much detail as they like, their characters. But no images.
Aug 18, 2020 3:05 pm
I also intend to use PM's a lot. If only one party member has night vision for example, I won't say to everyone, "the dwarf can see a statue at the end of the cavern"

I'll send the dwarf a PM describing it. What, if anything, they say to the rest is up to them.
Last edited August 18, 2020 3:05 pm
Aug 18, 2020 3:06 pm
You can use note instead :)

[note="(Player name)"][/note]
Last edited August 18, 2020 3:07 pm
Aug 18, 2020 3:10 pm
Skallagrimm sent a note to kenesperanza
like this?
Aug 18, 2020 3:13 pm
Yep, only the player you mentioned will see that note. That way you won't need to send a lot of PMs and you can just put notes on your posts.
Aug 18, 2020 3:41 pm
You can also send a note to multiple players by putting a comma between the usernames.

[note="Example1,Example2"]
Aug 18, 2020 4:13 pm
Yep. LOL. Still interested....
Aug 19, 2020 2:13 pm
I'm thinking 4-6 players. Any race/class/background suitable to the Sword Coast.
(PHB, Volo's Guide, Mordenkainen's Tome, Xanthar's Guide, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide)

Then we'll roll for stats, before choosing classes etc.
classic 4d6 pick the best three method
Aug 19, 2020 2:41 pm
If there's room I'm interested.
Aug 19, 2020 2:44 pm
love your avatar by the way, I spent infinite hours as a kid trying to emulate the style of DAT from the original MM
Aug 19, 2020 10:20 pm
Definitely interested! Sign me up.
Aug 20, 2020 1:00 pm
OK, six invitations sent.

Len

Aug 21, 2020 12:31 am
I've had a lot of success using Sly Flourish's guidelines in 5e theatre of the mind combat. My players have pretty much universally said they work really well. Check it out if you like!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.