What are you reading right now?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 27, 2016 11:11 pm
I've always been an avoid reader. When I was in middle school, I was in the library so much, I was unofficially a volunteer there (unofficial as by policy, they couldn't take volunteers under 14). I've always been partial to fiction, namely fantasy and sci-fi, early on with Animorphs, Dinotopia, Star Wars YA novels, the Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, and going into longer, more adult novels in the last decade.

I won't pretend I've read a wide breadth of books. I like what I like and don't what I don't, and if I really like something, I'll read it a dozen times without getting bored. Mostly recently, I've been on a Brandon Sanderson kick. The Stormlight Archives are amazing, as is The Name of the Wind/The Wise Man's Fear and the Mistborn series. I'm less captured by the Reckoners series, though I've heard the second (or third, based on how you look at it) book is better than Steelheart.

So, what book is currently in your hands, physically or digitally?
Mar 27, 2016 11:42 pm
I just finished reading through Curse of Strahd, which doesn't REALLY count, but before that I finished Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami. He's a fantastic author and his stuff is super strange. Hoping to get back to some sci-fi and fantasy now though, and I'm looking at The Magicians or A Darker Shade of Magic for my next read.
Mar 28, 2016 1:13 am
Well, right now I'm in the process of re-re-reading my Earthdawn books because I'm tempted to start a game on here eventually...
Mar 28, 2016 2:32 am
Been reading the first book of Jim Butcher's new series, the Cinder Spires. I'm looking forward to what he does with it, but I'm really waiting for the next Dresden Files book to come out.
Last edited March 28, 2016 2:33 am
Mar 28, 2016 4:54 am
The book that is physically in my hands is Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett. However, I have not actually started reading it yet. Been meaning to, never seem to have the opportunity.
Mar 28, 2016 1:03 pm
Reading through the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. On book seven right now, A Crown of Swords. Really looking forward to finishing this up, then I'm going to move on to some more of Sanderson's novels, Stormlight Archives has been AMAZING so far.
Mar 28, 2016 1:07 pm
Naatkinson says:
Reading through the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. On book seven right now, A Crown of Swords. Really looking forward to finishing this up, then I'm going to move on to some more of Sanderson's novels, Stormlight Archives has been AMAZING so far.
The Name of the Wind was even better from a storytelling perspective IMO, though I love Stormlight Archives the most. I keep meaning to go to the Wheel of Time, but it feels so big and complex, it's daunting. Unless I'm thinking of another series, the books don't go in temporal order, right? I've seen multiple flow charts on how to read it.
Mar 28, 2016 1:19 pm
Keleth says:
Naatkinson says:
The Name of the Wind was even better from a storytelling perspective IMO, though I love Stormlight Archives the most. I keep meaning to go to the Wheel of Time, but it feels so big and complex, it's daunting. Unless I'm thinking of another series, the books don't go in temporal order, right? I've seen multiple flow charts on how to read it.
It's like 13 massive books, but so far it seems to go in order.
Mar 28, 2016 1:24 pm
Naatkinson says:
It's like 13 massive books, but so far it seems to go in order.
I must be confusing it with another series.
Mar 28, 2016 8:33 pm
I've been consuming a few volumes of Manga recently purchased, The Boy and the Beast Vol 1 by Mamoru Hosoda I just finished today. Yesterday My Hero Academia Vol 1-3. If I have a bit of time I really want to read the light novel Shikamaru's Story from the Narutoverse.
Mar 29, 2016 12:08 am
I'm currently reading the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. I also have read all the books from E.E. Knight, especially the Vampire Earth series. I have read any fantasy and sci fi. As well as several other types. Just seem to come back to them over and over. Some memorable series were and still are the Xanth series by Piers Anthony, Sword of Truth series not sure of author at the moment, and a lot of series by John Ringo. He is great for sci fi.
Apr 4, 2016 12:44 am
The Red King by Nick Cole. Awesome post apocalyptic tale
Apr 8, 2016 11:06 pm
@Cerris214, I love the Vampire Earth series! So much awesome there. I even snagged the campaign book for Savage Worlds that he put out for it, though I still haven't gotten to play in it.

Right now, I'm reading the Fire and Frost Shadowrun novel. I'm really enjoying it.
Apr 8, 2016 11:16 pm
CancerMan says:
The book that is physically in my hands is Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett. However, I have not actually started reading it yet. Been meaning to, never seem to have the opportunity.
I was forced to read Monstrous Regiment last year. I'd never read Pratchett before. I enjoyed it, although it could have used more humour in the middle. It's funny how much weird world building, and how well it was done, while telling a mostly irreverent story.

Currently been reading some Sci Fi (Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin, The Martian by Andy Weir, and Quantum Night by Robert J. Sawyer - all worthy of recommendation).
Apr 8, 2016 11:19 pm
Qralloq says:
Currently been reading some Sci Fi (Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin, The Martian by Andy Weir, and Quantum Night by Robert J. Sawyer - all worthy of recommendation).
Read The Martian shortly after the movie. I really enjoyed it too!
Apr 9, 2016 3:36 am
Yeah, the book for The Martian was great. I think I would have enjoyed the movie more if I hadn't read the book first.
Apr 9, 2016 5:00 am
Just finished East of Eden by Steinbeck and picked up Orwell's Animal Farm and Heinlein's Starship Troopers.
Apr 9, 2016 2:56 pm
Well if comic books count i just read The Tweleve vol 1. Now i need to find vol 2. It is pretty good.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.