IC: Collaborative Storytelling using ScreenPlay

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 29, 2020 9:47 pm
I've been looking for a system that works really well for a collaborative effort, and this one looks pretty cool. It seems like it would be perfect for a low-GM prep style of play. It would also make it very easy to use troupe style play, where the role of the Director (GM-lite) can rotate. The system is genre agnostic, narrative, and designed for cinematic rather than simulationist gaming (hence the name).

If anybody would be interested in learning more about it or giving it a spin, let me know. :)
Aug 30, 2020 1:12 am
This sounds intriguing, but the drivethru rpg page for the game offers almost no details about how the system works. Before I am willing to drop a dollar on it (I'm not made of money, lol) can you tell me a bit about how it works?
Aug 30, 2020 1:15 am
Like Griff, I'd like to know more about how it works, but I'm very intrigued.
Aug 30, 2020 1:35 am
I’m intrigued as well. Keep me in the loop please!
Aug 30, 2020 6:41 am
I was going to try to explain it, but it took me forever and I just made a hot mess of it. In play, its pretty simple and straightforward, but it can be confusing at first because it doesn't use standard RPG terminology or mechanics. Here's a quote about the basic principles of the collaborative storytelling approach. The term Director is pretty much the GM, and the term Writers refers to the players who control the actors (PC's).

Fundamentals to Playing ScreenPlay
There are a couple of key foundations for playing ScreenPlay, aspects you must understand before you can move on to learning the rules themselves. These keys override everything else and can be used by the Director to help render a verdict on any mechanical conflicts in the game.

The Rule of Initiatives: During play, everyone will have a chance to add to the story by describing their characters taking actions, interacting with the scene, and creating new elements and dangers to move the story forward. From there, everyone else will have an opportunity to take those elements and use them accordingly, but whoever introduced that element – be it a location, character,
event, or anything else – has the final say on what that element can and cannot do. For example, if the Director reacts to a lead character turning on a light switch by providing a description of a sweatshop, a Writer cannot suddenly turn it into an alien spaceport on her turn unless the Director (who introduced the sweatshop into the story) approves.

This is known as the Rule of Initiatives, and basically states that whoever initiates something into the story arbitrates its every facet. This also applies to Writers as well, such as when a Writer describes one of his characters spotting a band of half-feline ninjas skulking along the moonlit rooftops.

To help facilitate this fundamental point of the game, it’s recommended players use index cards to record new elements, characters, locations, and other introductions in the game with particular attention given to the player who initiated them. Record all key facts of these elements and lay them on the table for reference during play.

Yes, And...: ScreenPlay is a co-operative storytelling experience and that means accepting what’s been presented by all players in the game (Writers and Directors alike) and applying it in your future descriptions. This involves a basic principle of improvisation known simply as "Yes, And..." meaning when something is introduced into the scene, everyone else will embrace it and it will be gospel. Everyone must then work within the limits of these descriptions, reactions, and other facets of the game, no matter how strict or broad. For example, if the story is established to take place in 1890s France, describing a horde of Mongol barbarians would not be appropriate (unless your story has already established a wormhole in time allowing this Mongolian horde to attack the Eiffel Tower). If this key is broken, the Director has final judgment on whether or not to deny its introduction, and then insist on a revised one.
Last edited August 30, 2020 6:43 am
Aug 30, 2020 6:46 am
Okay, based on that description of how the system works, I'd definitely be interested in giving the system a whirl. :)
Aug 30, 2020 6:50 am
I just bought three more copies, so I think it should be legal for me to PM you all a link so you can download it. It's really simple and flexible once you get your brain around the terminology and the concept of 'Complications.' I think the easiest way to get the hang of it is by playing it - then it will all make sense.
Aug 30, 2020 6:58 am
Oh wow, that's extremely generous of you. Thanks so much! I have actually run Primetime Adventures a couple of times. I'm looking forward to trying a similar concept executed in a different way.
Aug 30, 2020 1:42 pm
If you all have room for one more, I wouldn't mind giving this a shot as well.
Aug 30, 2020 2:10 pm
Sounds fun. I'm in. And thanks again for gifting the PDF. I love how nice everyone is in this community.
Aug 30, 2020 3:21 pm
Goodspeed! I love low-calorie, narrative-focused systems (considerably 'Yes, but...' systems of play). I hope you all have a great time.
Last edited August 30, 2020 3:22 pm
Aug 31, 2020 5:16 am
Welcome DarkReaver! I'll send out the invites. :)
Aug 31, 2020 3:02 pm
KaeJae, I'm applied to join your game (I have the rules) but I realise you are at full strength. That's fine, but if circumstances change please let me know and I'll hop on board. Happy to inherit any orphaned PCs at that time. Will it be possible to observe the play or will the game be private? Either way, have fun
Sep 2, 2020 11:33 pm
I would like to be in as an alternate.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.