IC: Marvel Comics (Bronze Age) (HQ2/QW)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 7, 2020 4:22 am
Contemplating GMing a Marvel Comics Bronze Age-era setting using the HeroQuest 2nd / QuestWorlds system. Prima facie, players will have the option of creating an original character or assuming the role of an established character. In commonplace comic-ness, the characters will be a fledgling team in a city overrun with criminals.

My only caveat: it would be more compelling, in my opinion, to sidestep A-listers and to use lesser known Bronze Age characters; a reformed villain would also make a compelling character (another nice trope).

Anyway, throwing it out there.
Last edited September 7, 2020 4:26 am
Sep 8, 2020 2:51 am
Is familiarity with the system necessary? And any concerns for "canon" or about mixing DC and Marvel heroes?
Sep 8, 2020 3:02 am
I hadn't considered crossover from DC but I don't see it as a concern; let's leave canon for the moneymakers. Familiarity is not necessary. An alternative to HeroQuest/QuestWorlds would be Capes, Cowls, and Villains Foul from Spectrum Games, if enough players expressed interest.
Sep 8, 2020 4:35 am
I've been lurking on this thread. I'd love to try the HeroQuest system. And Marvel bronze age is my favorite era.

I'm in a dozen games already, so if you do get a surplus of applicants, please feel free to pass me over.
Sep 8, 2020 1:45 pm
I'm intrigued, too! I've been scoping out lesser-known supers it might be fun to use as a character, but I know nothing of the system.

Another question: How are you seeing the tone of this game? Gonzo? Soap operatic? Dark and gritty?

And will the era be 1970s or 1980s or something else?
Sep 8, 2020 2:55 pm
Tone
Soap operatic with an edge. Character-based storytelling. Prior atypical superhero elements (horror, science-fantasy, pulp) are welcome.
Inspirational Titles
The Tomb of Dracula, Nova, The New Mutants, ROM, Swamp Thing, Deathlok, New Gods, Shade: The Changing Man, Master of Kung Fu, X-Men, The New Teen Titans, The Defenders, The Thing, What If?, Red Sonja, Squadron Supreme, Omega the Unknown, Wolverine, The Eternals, Doctor Strange, Strange Tales, Silver Surfer, Secret Wars, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Seven Soldiers of Victory
Era
Within the boundaries of the Bronze Age (1970 to the mid-1980s).
Sep 8, 2020 3:09 pm
I am going to check out the system and get back to you, but I am intrigued.
Sep 8, 2020 6:43 pm
I’m very interested. I have a character concept as well but need to check out the rule set.
Sep 9, 2020 3:12 am
I am open to alternative gaming systems but would prefer systems in the narrative and rules-lite side of the pool (HQ2, PDQ, Capes Cowls and Villains Foul, CAH3, FASERIP, etc).
Sep 9, 2020 3:36 am
You had me at X-Men and Shade: The Changing Man.
I am completely unfamiliar with any of these systems but I'd like to give it a try since I'm a life long comics fan.
Sep 9, 2020 3:47 am
Right on. The tally continues to ping.
Sep 9, 2020 12:04 pm
I've had a chance to glance at HeroQuest, and it looks great. I love its concept of privileging narrative appropriateness over simulationism.

I've also identified a very minor villain from the tail end of the era in question that I think would make a compelling character.
Sep 9, 2020 6:34 pm
I'll let this hang out in the forum nexus for a week or so to see if more interest emerges.
Sep 9, 2020 6:55 pm
SavageBob says:
I've had a chance to glance at HeroQuest, and it looks great. I love its concept of privileging narrative appropriateness over simulationism.

I've also identified a very minor villain from the tail end of the era in question that I think would make a compelling character.
Precisely the reason I have continually discovered myself magnitized to the HQ system. I will, however, be using a slightly house ruled variation of HQ2, but nothing tooled enough to warp the endemic joy out of what makes HQ so attractive.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.