CHAPTER 1: A GREAT UPHEAVAL

Sep 21, 2020 8:22 pm
Quote:

You've been traveling along the High Road for days.

As evening approaches, you spot a wooden signpost next to a trail that heads north into the hills. Nailed to the post are three arrow-shaped signs.
The two marked "Waterdeep" and "Daggerford" follow the High Road but point in opposite directions. The third, marked "Nightstone," beckons you to follow the trail. If memory serves, Nightstone is roughly ten miles up the trail.
Sep 22, 2020 6:17 am
Abigail's tail swayed happily as she looked upon the sign. She had just come from Waterdeep, so she didn't need to head back down the same road she had just traversed.
Removing a lucky wooden coin she carved, she tossed it to the heavens, setting heads for Nightstone, and tails for Daggerford. Heads came up as it landed back into her palm and a smile came across her face.
After hefting her pack back up onto her shoulders, she strides off down the road to Nightstone. What adventures awaited her there? What new people would she meet?
Sep 22, 2020 7:21 am
Upon seeing another traveller Gronk quickens his pace and calls out with a slight lisp in his voice, "Excuze me are you heading to Nightstone? I am heading there to find out more about the Nobles within the advnzing Human society."
Sep 22, 2020 1:32 pm
Through the trees, between the Waterdeep and Daggerford roads, emerges a massive human with an even larger smile on his bearded face.

Ho ho! Perfect timing! he chuckles in a jaunty baritone.

Dusting himself off he steps onto the road and addresses the travelers. I'm on my way there! Got an old friend to see and a lot of catching up to do. I'd love the company if you'd care to join!
Sep 22, 2020 6:24 pm
Abigail jumps a bit as the biggun comes out of the tree line.
"Ent, she cries in surprise! She draws out her sickle as a reaction, but quickly sees that it is actually a person.
Realizing that she was approached by two people, she glances between the two quizzically and then gives off a big, sweet smile.

"Why, I would love to have some company! It seems the good lady Tymora is smiling upon me today."
Sep 22, 2020 10:32 pm
Ruby smiles as the driver regales her with a story of derring-do she's quite certain happened completely in his head. But he's animated and happy, and she gives him all of her attention. After all, he'd been so kind as to let her hitch a ride, the least she could do was be a rapt audience during the trip. Besides, every now and then there was a little snippet or turn of phrase she could file away to inspire some future epic.

As they approached the crossroads, she began to check her pack, carefully adjusting its contents so it fit more comfortably against her back. The wagon came to a halt and she hopped down.

"It's about 10 miles to Nightstone," the driver said. "You gonna be ok going all that way?"

"No problem at all, especially after such a nice ride cut my travel time considerably."

He tugged at the rim of his hat as he gave a slight nod. "Twas my pleasure. If you're ever in Daggerford ..."

"Til we meet again," she said, giving him a deep curtsy. With one last smile, she turned and headed down the trail, following in the footsteps of a group of travellers up ahead.
Sep 22, 2020 11:56 pm
After following the trail for ten miles, you hear the ringing of a bell. The sound grows louder as Nightstone comes into view.

A river flows around the settlement, forming a moat. The village itself is contained within a wooden palisade, beyond which you see a windmill, a tall steeple, and the high-pitched rooftops of several other buildings.
Apart from the ringing of the bell, you detect no other activity in the village.

The trail ends before a lowered drawbridge that spans the moat. Beyond the drawbridge, two stone watchtowers flank an open gap in the palisade.

South of the village and surrounded by the river moat is a cone-shaped, flat-topped hill on which stands a stone keep enclosed by a wooden wall. The keep, which overlooks the village, has partially collapsed. A wooden bridge that once connected the keep to the village has also partially collapsed.

You are approaching the town from the west side. *Not depicted in the img*
[ +- ] images
Sep 23, 2020 12:25 am
As they approach, a small mouse peers out from the hood of Abigail's cowl. It squeaks a bit at the tone of the bell. Reaching up, she scritches its head to calm it.
"There us nothing to worry about, Rufus. It is probably just letting us know what time it is."

And nearly out of nowhere, she cups her mouth and shouts in the direction of the town.
"MR. BELL! WHAT TIME IS IT?"
Sep 23, 2020 2:33 am
The shouting startles the sleeping Locke awake from his hidden burrow under a bush. Jerking his head out of the greenery in frustration he calls back "WHOSE DA DAFT MARY THAT'S TRYIN TA TALK TO A BE-" but cuts off when he sees Abigail. After meeting her eyes and coughing once to break the quick silence, he pulls back into the bush. After a moment or two he emerges deftly out of it shaking leaves off.

"By my pardon." He says with a graceful bow, "I didn't know a goddess would be walking this way today." He looks past her down the road at the other travelers, "Two goddesses! I always did have the best of luck!" He exclaims with a wink to Ruby.
Sep 23, 2020 4:03 am
Gronk falls in with the other travelers giving a wide toothy smile and a nod of his head, "I do hope we don’t arrive to late, I could do with a solid meal." His eye accidentally falling upon the little Halfling who had joined them, then starts talking to anyone nearby him about the modern wonders of the world.

As they approach the village and the bell is tolling Gronk sniffs the air and looks around, "Iiisss it me or does ssssomething feel off here?"
Last edited September 23, 2020 4:10 am

Rolls

Perception check of his surrounds - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Sep 23, 2020 1:37 pm
Hail there, friend! Krieger says the first time Locke jerks his head out of the greenery

Hail there, friend! Krieger says the second time Locke emerges, just as energetically as the first.
Mathfuric says:
"I do hope we don’t arrive to late, I could do with a solid meal."
His stomach growls in response.
Same here, partner. I've not eaten in years; it'll be good to have some of Morak's famous stew to break this fast.

The jolly pale giant makes his way to the drawbridge with the others.
Last edited September 23, 2020 1:38 pm
Sep 23, 2020 8:14 pm
Abigail received no response as she hollers out from the town. The bell keeps its pace ringing.

Continuing up the path you can see that part of the bridge going to what looks like a keep of the town is missing.

Arriving at the drawbridge, it seem unusual, the bridge is lowered across the moat and you do not see any one manning any of the towers flanking the bridge.
Sep 23, 2020 8:34 pm
Huh... Krieger says quizzically to himself No one's home eh?

He unslings his massive executioner's axe from his back and carries it in one hand. He then crosses the drawbridge first.
Sep 23, 2020 9:29 pm
The heavyset man walks though the gate. As the sun begins to set behind the nearby mountain range. Kriger can see theres some large wolf like creatures feasting on something in the middle of the square along with many 3ft. diameter boulders embedded into the ground. Some buildings looks like there may be some parts missing either because of some rocks or other acts of gods.

The building to the left of Krieger looks to be some sort of temple and is the cause of the bell ringing.
[ +- ] Map
Sep 23, 2020 9:55 pm
Ho ho I do love a mystery! Krieger says aloud as he surveys the aftermath of the apparent attack. No siege equipment nearby, or signs of any that used to be surrounding the town. Hmmm....my belly's larger than my brain, but it seems to me there was some kind of Boulder-Storm...

He looks to the group for support of his scientific theory. Having found none, he shrugs, sticks his greataxe in the dirt beside him, and hurls a javelin at the wolves; mainly to get their attention or scare them off.

Get outa here ya cheeky beasties! he chuckles
OOC:
Throwing Javelin at disadvantage because of distance (30/120)

Rolls

Javelin Throw - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Javelin Throw Disadvantage - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Oh damn guess I'll roll damage! - (1d6+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Sep 23, 2020 10:42 pm
With some visible shock on her face, Abby's smile fades as anxiety takes over. She pulls out her mace, just in case, as she moves up behind Krieger.

"If we find anyone, I want to make sure no one is hurt."

Looking over the scene, it just didn't make sense. How long ago had the attack happened? Who was it? Perhaps some survivors, if there's anyone left alive, who could hopefully answer their questions.
Sep 23, 2020 11:02 pm
Locke, unused to being ignored, follows after Abigail. "Wait up beautiful!"

After catching up to her, and subsequently Kreiger and the wolves, he lets out a whistle. "Hmm... If I didn't know better, I'd think there was some kind of... of..." He's snapping his finger looking for the words, "...Boulder-Storm. Aye that sounds right. Couldn't have been an avalanche after all."
Last edited September 24, 2020 12:14 am
Sep 23, 2020 11:23 pm
Gronk moves up just off to Krieger’s left drawing his handaxe as he goes. "Ssssuch a beautiful village why would anyone attack it? He says almost to himself as he examines the temple’s exterior for any clues on why the bell is ringing and whom they worship, but keeps a wear side look on the wolves.

Rolls

Investigation of exterior - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Religion check - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Sep 24, 2020 9:39 pm
OOC:
hahaha i have the window open was was like... why isn't anyone posting. ... :face_palm:
The javline is thrown long. A small yelp can be heard as it hits its mark. Barking and Yipping is heard as to large worgs come down the road toward the party: Roll init.

This wooden temple is dedicated to Lathander (god of the dawn) and Mielikki (goddess of forests). It has a slender steeple containing a large bronze bell, and stained glass windows depicting images of birth, the dawning sun, trees, and unicorns. The front door is wide open.
[ +- ] Health & Conditions
GSheet

Rolls

Worg 1,2 - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (10) + 1 = 11

1d20+1 : (13) + 1 = 14

Sep 24, 2020 9:46 pm
OOC:
Initiative!

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.