Notes: not working as I expected, thoughts?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 2, 2016 4:14 pm
Right now, when there is a note in the post, if you're not the sender, recipient, or GM of the game, the note is invisible. When I originally designed the system, I intended for a blank note with just the text "{{sender}} sent a note to {{recipient}}". I figured, if you're actually at a table, notes are often passed around, but you know who's passing what to whom.

But apparently, people are a fan of the current system. It does cause some problems, like if a GM wants to make a note to someone; it leaves a blank post for everyone else. Should we leave the current system in place or should I fix it? I'm currently updating the forums and in that fix, I've changed it to how I've envisioned. So what do you guys think?
Apr 2, 2016 4:26 pm
I always leave a note that says something like [Note to Keleth], so whichever way is fine with me.
Apr 2, 2016 4:59 pm
SO far I've liked the way the notes system works. For really top secret communication there's always PM's.
Apr 2, 2016 6:36 pm
I really like the ability to pass a note to a player without any of the others knowing. It's a feature of the system I use all of the time. If there is going to be a fix I would still like the ability to pass notes without the others being notified. To me it's one of the (many) advantages to playing on a forum.
Apr 2, 2016 6:43 pm
I'll wait for more opinions, but maybe we can do one of two things:

1) Don't fix it
2) Add a secret note tag/parameter on the note tag?

I guess yet another option could be, don't fix right now, and later when I build in the thread permissions system, I can add post permissions as well?
Apr 2, 2016 7:37 pm
It did confused me when I saw a blank post from our GM. I thought it was a bug or something, but turns out it was a not to one of the players. Yeah, it's a bit confusing at first, but once you know a blank post is a private note, it's not much of an issue...
It all really depends on how many new players you're willing to confuse. :P
Apr 2, 2016 10:52 pm
I'm of the opinion of leaving it like it is. The blank post is sometimes confusing, especially for the new users. Having nothing is better. I also like the fact that the GM can see player to player notes.
Apr 2, 2016 10:52 pm
Would making it generic not let you keep the feature and avoid blank posts? Like, if notes that weren't to you came up as 'Note Passed' but didn't so to whom?
Apr 3, 2016 12:00 am
Candi says:
Would making it generic not let you keep the feature and avoid blank posts? Like, if notes that weren't to you came up as 'Note Passed' but didn't so to whom?
I like this idea. Avoid showing what happened, just that something did. What do other people think of this? It's a nice balance between what I wanted and what is.
Apr 3, 2016 12:05 am
Candi says:
Thirded. In my ignorance this is what I thought was happening. Nothing builds a little paranoia like a dm passing a note!
Apr 3, 2016 12:12 am
Keleth says:
Candi says:
I like this idea. Avoid showing what happened, just that something did. What do other people think of this? It's a nice balance between what I wanted and what is.
I would still like the option, if possible, not to even allow others to know something is happening when I pass a note to a player. PMs could be used to do that but then you kind of miss the flow when you go back and read past posts.
Apr 3, 2016 3:55 am
I'm sure I'll regret saying this, heh, but possibility is not the barrier. I wanted to have a discussion on the unintentional functionality and the reason behind my decision. When I built the note tag, my intention was to mimic a live table where you'd see a note being passed, between whom it's being passed, but not the content of the note. My goal with GP was to create an experience that is a facsimile of a live table. Deviating isn't an issue, but I want to make sure the spirit remains.
Apr 12, 2016 12:01 am
I like the secret-ness of the note. It allows me to send conflicting data to players and they don't even know they're getting conflicting data. Whereas if I have an identified note -- they can meta a little and figure out something is afoot. I used this to good effect recently to send Remnant towards the back of a room while Candi headed to the front exit -- all on account of perception rolls.

It's true they could have meta'd based on those rolls -- but I like the way the flow wasn't interrupted.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.