Opinion check: adding hero points?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Hero Points

You may select 1 option.

Add Hero Points, but remove them completely at MR1
    Add Hero Points, but in Descension/Ascension where they are gone at MR3
    Add Hero Points, keep them indefinitely
    Don't do Hero Points
    Other
Nov 28, 2020 11:36 am
At level 3 with no mythic tiers yet, a lot of us end up completely boned with no way out except for a hopeful lucky roll. You're small town heroes that are obviously destined to be so much more. In my current party that's getting boned, Equinox suggested Hero Points to me when I lamented dice and negating a crit to avoid an incredibly likely TPK.

I have two ideas on how to run Hero Points. One is that we'll start off with them, but they eventually "evolve" into the mythic tiers once we ascend. We have a max of 3 points, but perhaps that goes down to 2 at mythic 1, 1 at mythic 2, and is gone at mythic 3. For the sake of the poll, that particular usage will be called Descension/Ascension. Otherwise all hero points will simply be removed at MR1.

Option 2 is to keep Hero Points after mythic, my concern here is that this means we have 2 pools of points to use at different times and situations. While handy and all, as someone who's played a gestalted RNG class with two different point pools, it's not fun (and this is not including mythic power). Some classes may have no trouble with 2 point pools, but others are so involved on their own that to have anything more than 1 "hero" pool may make things harder. Not to mention these are basically the same system, but one is GM controlled and one is player controlled.

Option 3 is obviously not to include it and just wait for mythic.

Hero Points are largely up to my discretion while mythic power is largely up to the player, for a bit of my insight.

Thread is for opinion share. Why pick what option you did? Did you vote for Other and have a suggestion? Are you undecided with questions? Bam. Thread.
Nov 28, 2020 11:41 am
Not that anyone is questioning my methods but I conjure gremlins in my head that ask questions I didn't answer. So why am I even asking? I'm the GM and what I say goes. I want to make sure that what I say is enjoyable, and with the addition of a system I didn't mention at the start when you looked over the rules and content and joined the game, I'd like to make sure new systems aren't a deal breaker.

Plus, maybe I could stand to learn a thing or two.

I do have an opinion and I did vote on Descension, but I'd love to hear thoughts. Revoting is available.
Nov 28, 2020 3:39 pm
I am voting Descension.

When I suggested using Hero points to Spooki on Discord, its something I was considering myself, but was waiting on our GM to look over the Hero Point rules and weigh in. I don't think we need to set a hard rule of when the descension occurs. It is, as Spooki mentions, regulated by the GM and when it becomes apparent that it may no longer be needed, or needed less, he can simply give out fewer points or stop giving them.
Nov 29, 2020 1:01 am
Add the hero points and leave it to Spooki's discretion when to stop awarding them. ML3 is a good termination point if we haven't stopped using/applying them by then.
Nov 29, 2020 2:27 am
I appreciate the feedback on this even if it's just "I trust the GM's decision." That lets me know I'm doing well. I'll continue to be transparent and open to criticism.

Over half the votes are to phase out HP after Mythic, so that's the plan. As a side note, mythic is attained by individuals and not by entire parties, so some parties will be partly using HP and partly using Mythic. Shouldn't be an issue as long as everyone understands
Nov 29, 2020 2:41 am
So long as everyone gets their time in the spotlight, I don't mind some people being a couple steps ahead or behind.
Nov 29, 2020 1:32 pm
Yeah, in order for said spotlight to be as strong as possible, it has to focus on a character rather than a party. I'm already drafting mythic ascension quests for each character to make sure they both chronologically make sense for the story itself and is the best situation for the character.
Nov 29, 2020 1:51 pm
I like the descendion idea. Gives us that chance for a ‘once in a lifetime save/shot/spell/etc" that marks us out as potential legendary heroes.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.