OOC Thread

Dec 6, 2020 7:06 pm
Out-of-character discussion goes here.
Dec 6, 2020 10:48 pm
Hey everybody, excited to meet you all.
Dec 10, 2020 3:41 am
"Thirty-six," says the merchant, gesturing to the goods that Gort has selected. When Gort doesn't respond, he repeats it slower and louder. "Thirty-six."

Gort eyes the short, fat man. There is an assortment of weapons arrayed inside the booth that are within the merchant's reach, but he does not strike Gort as very fast. Gort could just take the goods and run before the man reacted... but no, the other humans standing at the ends of counter to his right and left are watching too closely; their attempts to appear disinterested too clearly an act. Guards then.

Gort grunts and begins to turn away, he does not have enough to meet the man's price, and he is baffled by this skill the humans
call "haggling".

"Tell you what, tell you what," the man says, his tone lightening. "Just because I like you. Because you, eeew, remind me of myself at your age, I will make you a special one of a kind deal."

Gort frowns in response.

"You can have all of this--no, no more than this! Get rid of this rope, it's half rotted, I wouldn't tie my dog with it." He tosses the hemp haphazardly behind him onto a shelf and from somewhere beneath the counter produces a longer length of a thinner, darker material. He demonstrates how it stretches and reforms. "Excellent, nylon rope. 50 meters, practically to the moon and back. In exchange for... just, that moth-eaten jacket you're wearing. I'd be doing you a favor, about time you got yourself a new one."

Gort considers this, the leather jacket is in better shape than the man suggests, but has never fit him well and the weather is currently warm. With the money this would save him on supplies, he could buy something woolly instead. It was just... something about the man's sheer willingness to make the trade made the mutant feel contrary. He shakes his head.

"Fine, fine." The merchant pauses, looks over his wares as if considering. At last he sighs. "If that's how it has to be... I suppose my youngest doesn't need to eat every day. In order to convince you to make this exchange I will include this, truly amazing, wonder of the ancients."

The man removes a small metal box for a shelf behind him, unlocks it with a key from around his neck, and pulls out a small stubby black wand.

"Observe this 'flashlight' fueled by strange magics creates light without fire or heat."

Gort stares at the object, the flat glassy top of it does remind him vaguely of a lantern though he does not see how one would insert a wick. Currently it is dull and lifeless.

"Behold!" The man's fingers shift about the wand and the top does indeed come alight, surprising Gort. The human swings it this way and that, pushing back the shadows encroaching on his booth. A few of the passersby in the market pause to give him odd looks as he dances about.

The merchant offers the light to Gort, who suspects a trick, but locates the switch which controls the item and turns it on and off. He places his palm over the top. True to the man's word the light does not create much heat. Gort considers making the exchange, his frown deepening. He himself could never make such a thing as this light, surely it must be worth more than a coat? How was it that the merchant trying to deceive him?

"Alright, alright. My absolute final offer--they're practically priceless but I doubt I can sell them without the light." The merchant counts out four small cylinders from the box that had held the flashlight and clacks them down on the counter top one at a time besides the other goods being offered. "Four ancient power cells, to ensure your light has hours and hours of use. Probably until long after this poor merchant has been starved by his incompetence."

Despite his suspicions, Gort can't see how trading a coat he doesn't want for a bunch of things that he does and an interesting new thing is a bad deal. With a grunt he tosses his jacket on the ground, scoops his possession from the counter into his backpack with the crook of his arm, and leaves.

After a few steps he is still close enough to hear the merchant behind him muttering. "Pleasure doing business with you, too. Stinking mutant."

Sorry, know this is supposed to be OOC but I just wanted to take Gort for a stroll in advance of game play to get a feel for his character, and some of the interactions in the generations thread gave me an itch.
Dec 17, 2020 9:36 pm
R.J. Crowe, welcome to the group. I'll give you a few days to read over the material and get a character set up. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Dec 17, 2020 10:17 pm
Hey, WhtKnt, can you take a look at my cs and let me know what I'm missing? Thanks. And welcome R.J.
Dec 18, 2020 8:04 pm
Welcome R.J. Mr. WhtKnt, is it possible to add a session Zero Thread? I only speak for myself, but it might be nice to have a thread for the characters to get to know each other or perhaps create backstory connections. Or not, if it would sabotage your plans. Just an idea.
Dec 19, 2020 3:38 am
I shall endeavor to post a kicker for the session 0 thread tomorrow.
Dec 24, 2020 11:14 pm
Happy holidays to all celebrating them!
Jan 13, 2021 10:55 pm
Just checking in that no one's waiting on me for anything and that everyone's doing okay since it's become rare we've gone a few days without posting but life naturally comes first, hope everyone's holding up okay in the real world!
Mar 29, 2021 3:25 am
I am going to be out-of-contact from Thursday, Apr 1 to Monday, April 11. I'm taking my niece and nephew to Disneyworld for their first visit! Please be patient and I will update after my return.
Mar 29, 2021 4:22 am
What! Not taking us!
Mar 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Disney World, wait let me get my hat...and my t-shirt...and my...ah hell, just go without me. Have a great time mister!
Apr 28, 2021 1:50 am
Hello everyone! WhtKnt, thank you for accepting my request to join the game.

I started playing Alternity when it first hit the store shelves, we played it heavily for the first 5 or so years, but then D&D 3E and the other D20 games became the new hotness, and it's been hard to find other interested folks for the last decade or so. Fortunately, I've still kept all of my books! :)

I can only see two of the four characters using the link below, Zivith (FA Explorer) and Oki (CS), so I'm not sure what the group needs the most. Any suggestions? Maybe an Tech Op? I'm thinking Dabber, or maybe Android.

WhtKnt, I looked through the Character Design thread and I didn't notice any optional or house rules being used. Should I just do character creation by the (Alternity Gamma World) book? I also scanned through the Session 0 thread, but didn't see anything of note. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Cheers!
Steve
Apr 28, 2021 4:53 am
Looks like you've got it, Steve. The group has three free agents and a CS, so yes, a Tech Op would be well-received. Character gen is by the book, just make any necessary rolls in the Character Design thread.
May 11, 2021 5:10 pm
FYI, I will be "off the grid", roaming the post apocalyptic landscape (i.e. camping) with limited access to the internet, starting Wednesday morning until late on Friday. But I will get caught up asap on Saturday. Cheers!
May 18, 2021 12:08 am
We seem to have lost Gort and Zivitsh and they haven't responded to my PMs. Do we carry on with just the three of you, or have we lost momentum on this?
May 18, 2021 12:16 am
Well for the start was just Oki and me.. and that plant.. LOL.. then Gort.. and now we have a raccoon. Looks good to me. Perhaps more advertising?
May 18, 2021 1:03 am
I'm game
May 31, 2021 5:02 pm
Hi all, I am sorry but I won't be able to continue to play at this time. Have fun.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.