Rules and Guidelines

Dec 18, 2020 8:35 pm
Posting frequency/commitment:
Basically none. The game will be public, so anyone can read along. Players who join can choose to contribute just a single post to the entire game, or they can post as many times as they can fit into the next week. The only rule for the main game thread is that you have to wait for at least one other player to post before you can post again.

How I envision it will work:
I'll begin with the premise (above), a few intro posts to launch the story and a couple example posts to show how I think the game works. Then anyone can post after me on a first come basis.

When you post, first, you act as the GM to resolve whatever action/dramatic question was left as the cliffhanger in the previous post. Then, you get to move the story forward however you think appropriate until you reach a new dramatic question or action that you describe but leave unanswered, so that it can be resolved by the next player, and so on.

The current player can give agency to any or all characters currently in the story, or add new characters. "Yes and" or "Yes but" the story that has come before you and then take it in a direction that makes you interested and excited to find out what happens next. During a post, a player can add details to existing story elements (characters, setting, etc, but don't overwrite a previous detail), create new elements, move a scene forward by having characters interact or take action, or if you feel the current scene is resolved, then move the story forward by transitioning the characters to a new scene/obstacle.

To resolve dramatic actions we'll use the Fate Dice. At the end of every post that finishes with an unresolved action, roll the Fate Dice. The next player will use the result to interpret the outcome: roll > 0, the action succeeds magnificently; roll = 0, the action partially succeeds, or succeeds but with a minor consequence or complication; roll < 0, the action fails, or partially succeeds but with a major consequence, complication or twist of fortune. These can be broadly interpreted and it is up to the next player to make the call. The goal for the next player is to be creative by choosing an appropriate resolution that keeps the story exciting and moving forward! To help the next player out, try finishing your post with a cliffhanger action that has stakes or interesting consequences on the story regardless of success or failure.

How will we avoid two or more players writing a post at the same time?
The order of posting is critical because each player will be resolving the previous post and then leaving a cliffhanger for the next post. So we need a system that avoids two or more players working on a post at the same time. This is probably the most complicated part of the game, but I can't think of a better way to do it. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know, but to start, this is how we will do it.

Every time you want to post, you must first check to see if there's a place holder post. If there is you'll have to wait. If there isn't a place holder, then you should add a place holder (This will be timestamped by the site). As a courtesy you can note how long you think it will take you to write the post, so other players waiting to add a post know when to come back (max: 30 mins). Once you've written your post, copy it into the place holder and save. If you are longer than 30 mins, you might have lost your chance. If no one has added a new place holder in front of you, then you're fine and you can add your post, otherwise, the next player has started working on a post to replace yours, so you'll have to just delete your place holder and try again later. If someone puts down a place holder but hasn't posted in 30 mins, then let's assume that the place holder got distracted by real life stuff, so in the spirit of keeping the game moving, then let's say that place holder expired and a new player can add a place holder ahead of them and begin working on a post instead.

NOTE: I noticed the timestamp is about 5 mins off compared to my computer/phone, so be aware of that if you are keeping track! Time limits will be based on the timestamp.

An inclusive/non-denominational game:
Although 'Christmas' is in the title, my intention is for this to be a fully inclusive and non-denominational game. In fact, I'm particularly interested in learning about new stories and myths surrounding the solstice from all around the world, so please add elements to the story that remind you about celebrations from your part of the world whether they are ancient legends, myths, fairy tales or even just traditions specific to your family or personal history. If you want to elaborate and explain why you added a certain element to the story and how that relates to this time of the year for you, then please let us know in the OOC thread!

For example, my dad, who read Tolkien back in the 60's, used to tell us stories about Elves and Dwarves and Hobbits when we were growing up. We had not yet read the Hobbit or LOTR ourselves, so we did not realize how much he had 'borrowed'. One of his more original additions was a clan of Dwarves who lived up in the hills behind our cottage. They lived in and operated a chocolate mine! I imagined they were an important supplier of chocolate to the North Pole because I loved getting chocolate at Christmas. To honour this, one of the characters in the story will be a Dwarf from the Chocolate Mines!

I'm imagining a Shrek like story/world with a setting full of elements from many stories and gaming tropes but all related to or adapted to include elements from various solstice holidays (whether those are winter holidays, or for our southern hemisphere friends, summer holidays).

Please be kind if someone else's ideas of the holiday season differs from your own. When you have the opportunity to post, focus your post to highlight and play with the elements that you do enjoy instead of crushing the ideas you don't like. I'm interested to learn new stories from around the world or even be surprised to learn ones I didn't know about from nearby!

My Role as the Game Master:
I'll accept player's requests to join. I'll be checking throughout the day every day, but it's possible you might have to wait a while. I don't think you'll have to wait more than 24 h because I should be able to check a few times a day over the next week.

I might interrupt occasionally to re-focus or move the story forward, but the idea is that it continues moving forward on its own. I might also split the story into multiple threads if parallel storylines emerge. If we get a lot of interest, this would also provide more opportunity for posting given the issue with having to wait on place holders. Note: I have never run a game of this format, so apologies if this doesn't work, but I think it's worth a try.

I will lock the game at 9 pm Pacific Standard Time on Dec. 24th and try to write a suitable and satisfying conclusion that ties everything together (yeah, right) to post on Christmas Day or soon after.

Thread locked