T'was the Week Before Christmas ...

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 19, 2020 2:34 am
... and in the North Pole,
Santa's Village was quiet,
snow falling and cold.

The sleeping village was not prepared for what was about to happen ...

For those who don't know, the North Pole isn't just a geographical location on Earth, it's also another universe (or at least part of another universe), named so by some because one entrance into the universe is by a portal that happens to be located at Earth's north pole. The North Pole is but one of many names that has been used for this place over the course of history, but they all refer to the same place: for now let's call it the Fae Realm, a universe (or multiverse?) with all the lands and worlds of fairy tales, myths and legends ...

After the clouds cleared, the night sky sparkled magically over the freshly snow-covered Village as the inhabitants slept, happily exhausted in the midst of the build-up to Christmas.

Suddenly without warning, the peaceful night was interrupted by an EXPLOSION! Flames and smoke began to rise from Santa's Workshop as alarms and sirens woke the town in a panic. Santa's emergency fire crew managed to put out the fire impressively quickly allowing Santa and his highest ranking council members to enter and inspect the damage.

Presents and packages were in pieces and scattered everywhere. A massive hole had been blasted through one of the outer walls with tracks leading out of town, off into the Wilds of the Fae Realm. Worst of all, Santa's secret vault had been cracked open, the contents ... gone.

Santa turns to his chief elf and said, "Send out word for brave volunteers. We need a team of heroes who can save Christmas and in doing so, the entire multiverse!"

-----

I'd like to invite everyone to a special-one-week-only, rules-lite, GM-less, community-driven, inclusive/non-denominational, holiday/gaming trope mash-up, story game!

Phew, that's an ambitious mouthful!

The idea is to bring together anyone in the community who would like to contribute to one big game. Although 'Christmas' is in the title, my intention is for this to be a fully inclusive and non-denominational game. Given the GM-less format and the fact we will bring together various holiday themes/elements from around the world and mix them together with various gaming tropes, I expect it will be a zany humorous tongue-in-cheek type of game, but serious and/or emotional posts are welcome as well if you think that is how you can best contribute. If you encounter a post that doesn't match your idea of the holidays, please be kind knowing that everyone's ideas of the holiday season are different. Also, I'd like to ask everyone to keep the theme/tone as family-friendly as possible so everyone can enjoy (I'm sort of imagining "Shrek" as a good example of the setting/theme/tone that I had in mind).
[ +- ] Posting frequency/commitment:
[ +- ] How I envision it will work:
[ +- ] How will we avoid two or more players writing a post at the same time?
[ +- ] An inclusive/non-denominational game:
[ +- ] My Role as the Game Master:
Here's the link to the Game Page.

Here's the link to the Game Forum.

I will lock the game at 9 pm Pacific Standard Time on Dec. 24th and try to write a suitable and satisfying conclusion that ties everything together (yeah, right) to post on Christmas Day or soon after.

If you would like to join, please comment below to express your interest and then apply at the Game Page. This is just so I know you aren't a simple spam bot (sophisticated bots that can negotiate this test are welcome, but only because it's the holidays, HOWEVER they will be removed if they can't politely hold back their true spammy nature).

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Chal
Dec 19, 2020 2:47 am
Sounds like a neat thing to try for the Christmas season. I'll be glad to join.
Dec 19, 2020 4:10 am
Sure, why not? This sounds like a cool way to celebrate the season as a community.
Dec 19, 2020 1:53 pm
I want to join, but this is my first PbP game, so be gentle.
Dec 19, 2020 3:24 pm
This is a wonderful idea Chal! I don't mind jumping in with some Xmassy posts!
Dec 19, 2020 4:11 pm
I have applied. RuDolph Lundgren will answer the call!

https://external-preview.redd.it/3MF_13J0RvTyZYfQDXiFTn1ZdD9xn7Fcc9H1OX_DjZU.jpg?auto=webp&s=706abfff6135b8f651c40fc603a5e57bf76f1a23
Dec 19, 2020 5:50 pm
Excellent! I've added you all Moonbeam, Paximilian, bedzoneII and ancient.astronaut.64!

Paximilian, newcomers are definitely welcome. In fact I think this style of game is a great starting place because there are very few rules, you'll hopefull see a few different posting styles that you can learn from and there's very little commitment. If you have any questions about how things work, let me know.

Ancient.astronant.64, ha ha, nice! That's a great character idea 😆
Dec 19, 2020 6:04 pm
I am interested in giving this a try!
Dec 19, 2020 6:43 pm
I sent you an invite, aquafina.
Dec 23, 2020 9:22 pm
Last call to join if you'd like to add your own holiday/gaming touch to the story!
[ +- ] The story so far:
[ +- ] The cast so far:
We've got the rest of today and tomorrow before the game finishes.

I'll make sure to check as late as tomorrow morning (Dec 24, 9 am Pacific Standard Time) for any last minute join requests and then the game thread will be locked 12 hours after that on Christmas Eve (9pm Pacific Standard Time) at which point I'll then write a conclusion and post on Christmas or soon after.

Cheers
Last edited December 23, 2020 9:28 pm
Sep 30, 2021 11:03 am
Just wanted to say that I'm a new user of GamersPlane, I've just stumbled across this thread and this Christmas-themed game and I am enamored with it! Lovely work. If it was to be renewed or continued for this holiday season, I would be very glad to join the fun!
Sep 30, 2021 6:52 pm
Thanks matesko, I'm glad you enjoyed reading through!

I was really happy with how the game turned out. Everyone that contributed did an awesome job to bring great creativity and fun to the experience. I think it ended up being a satisfying little vignette for those that played or read along for the week.

I'm almost certain that I'll run it again this season (probably continuing on from where the last one left off), so I'll let you know when the time comes. I might start it a bit earlier this year (i.e. 2-3 weeks before Christmas) because last year some people told me they wanted to contributed but they were too busy the final week before Christmas. Anyways, I'll post for interest here in the Games Tavern again and I'll send you a message as well.

---

Also, Welcome to Gamersplane! It's always great to see new members joining the community. I'd recommend stopping by the Introductions forum to introduce yourself. You'll meet lots of other members that way and get some useful information about the site.

If you have any questions about the site, let me know, or add them to your introductions post. Lots of other members will reply to help you out. It's a really great community here.

Hope you find some fun games to join! Cheers
Sep 30, 2021 8:17 pm
This sounds great. Coincidentally, I was also thinking about running a X-Mas related game, but you beat me to it! I'm a little to busy too throw my hat in, but just wanted to say good luck!
Last edited September 30, 2021 8:17 pm
Oct 2, 2021 5:44 pm
Thanks Gnome_Chomsky!

This is actually an old resurrected thread from last Christmas. It wasn't really on my radar yet until matesko commented above, so I am not sure that counts as "beating you to it" XD. Don't let it dissuade you from running a X-mas themed game of your own when the time comes, that is if you aren't too busy. If I run this again, it won't be until December. And even if I do run it again, I definitely think there's room on the site for other X-mas themed games. If I have time, I might even be interested to join yours as well.
Oct 4, 2021 7:56 am
Chalrytharendir says:

I'm almost certain that I'll run it again this season (probably continuing on from where the last one left off), so I'll let you know when the time comes. I might start it a bit earlier this year (i.e. 2-3 weeks before Christmas) because last year some people told me they wanted to contributed but they were too busy the final week before Christmas. Anyways, I'll post for interest here in the Games Tavern again and I'll send you a message as well.
That is great to hear! I look forward to it, then. And thank you for your warm welcome to the site!
Chalrytharendir says:
And even if I do run it again, I definitely think there's room on the site for other X-mas themed games.
Hear, hear!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.