Session 0

Dec 19, 2020 3:39 am
OOC:
Feel free to use this thread to get to know one another "in character" and I will try to chime in tomorrow.
Dec 19, 2020 3:58 am
Willow buzzes about and spots big blue. He buzzes closer to chat. Not like big blue can miss seeing a 3' dragonfly. And surely Willow didn't miss seeing Big Blue. Willow has hopes this beasty is intelligent. He does hate being swatted at.
Last edited December 19, 2020 3:59 am
Dec 19, 2020 4:12 am
Kitoshi, also known as Oki, is a warrior through and through. Though he can handle himself fairly well in battle, he tolerates "little people" since they would not normally be able to stand up to his level of violence. He doesn't trust technology and prefers his tribal weapons. The wastelands are his home and he thrives in that environment.

Months ago, his village was destroyed by roving bandits. He was forced to watch as his family and friends were burned and killed as the raiders took what they wanted and laid waste to everything else. Kitoshi was injured and left for dead. He managed to crawl out from the ruins in time to save his own life, but it was already to late to save anyone else.

He has come down from the mountains looking to start a new life among the wasteland dwellers. He sees a creature approaching him and he waits to see what this creature does before he acts.
Last edited December 19, 2020 4:16 am
Dec 19, 2020 4:34 am
After getting big blues attention, he starts with a Hello, I'm Willow and who are you? Beside new here. Obviously this is an intelligent dragonfly. Not your nasty generic pesky insects. He wonders if he will get an answer besides attempts to swat him. He is very used to dodging.
Dec 19, 2020 7:21 pm
Slightly taken aback, he struggles to understand what he is seeing, "Hello, and I am Hiroaki Kitoshi, my friends call me Oki-No Toko-Noko." He bows slightly, however after seeing the confusion
in Willow's sideways nod, he says, "You can call me Kitoshi, or just Oki. Either one is fine." He smiles, revealing his predatory sharp teeth, then he decides it's best not to show his teeth. He decides on a gentle "no teeth" smile.
Last edited December 19, 2020 7:22 pm
Dec 19, 2020 9:14 pm
Gort is a mutant descended from a band of hunters that had been making their living off the land outside of the city back when that land was safer and full of game. His kin are still out there, but they have been changed along with the world.

This past winter he was driven off by his siblings when prey were scarce and they decided he was one too many mouths to feed. Gort found his way to Hatsbur, where he has been more or less scraping by doing odd jobs.

The boy has a roughly human appearance, but something in his attitude always strikes the local humans as a bit off. That along with the combination of his dirty clothes, odd manners, and gruff attitude seems to have kept him from making many friends so far and most of the townspeople treat him with an instinctive distrust.
Dec 19, 2020 10:10 pm
Zivitch likes to play a waiting game. He can remain perfectly still for hours and appear to be a real, although very large, Caladium plant. If a curious enemy comes too close, Zivitch will release spores that will render the curious one almost comatose.
Last edited December 19, 2020 10:10 pm
Dec 19, 2020 10:56 pm
Willow is rather easy going. He seldom lands, but rest as he found the swamp to be less then kind.

Oki. Your huge, but still you don't know this are well. It would be a grand mishap to see you die in an unknown tar or bad radiation spot. We make a fine team as I know the area well and you could use someone to watch your back as well. And I could use someone so strong to help with carrying anything I have. Does this set well with you?
Dec 20, 2020 5:44 pm
None of the work teams selecting laborers from the throng of the poor in the marketplace this morning picked Gort for any tasks. The needy crowd seemed even bigger than usual, making it harder to catch someone's eye. Hopefully this was an aberration and not a trend that would continue.

With no work, he would need to catch his own lunch today, so he headed outside of town into the wilds. Large predators did not like to come this close to civilization so it was generally safe to hunt, though there were only small things to catch.

He had found a large swamp rat without too much trouble and flushed it out of hiding.

Readying a quarrel, and lining up a shot to down his prey, he paused as a it ran beneath some green and crimson streaked foliage. With a puff of spores that dropped the panting rodent prone, the towering plant it had fled beneath appeared to claim the meal as its own.

Gort had seen plants with leaves like these frequently growing around the swamp, but this specific one was much larger, and this was the first time any of them had ever actively reacted to their surroundings.

He gave the plant a wide berth, watching to see what happened next. It would be disappointing if his meal would be delayed, but he had a feeling avoiding this growth may be the safer choice.
Dec 20, 2020 6:41 pm
OOC:
Feel free to continue the RP, but I'm going to go ahead and get things underway. The others can catch up as they complete their characters.
"Newcomers!" a man calls out in your direction. He is a human male of average height and weight, with a white beard that shows several years of growth. "Yes, you!" he affirms, pointing at Oki, Willow, and Gort (and Zivitch, by default). "I am Jorune, one of the sages at the Learning Center. We have need of someone to undertake a task. It is fraught with danger, but the potential for reward is great. Might you be interested?"
Dec 20, 2020 7:30 pm
Kitoshi looks around at the others, "I cannot speak for others; as for me, I am willing to listen to your challenge Sensei Jorune." He follows this with a quick bow.
Dec 20, 2020 7:58 pm
Gort approaches the shouting man cautiously.

"That depends," he replies. "What danger and what rewards?"

He knows nothing of this Learning Center or whatever it teaches.

He observes the large blue one who answered the man first. It is able to move and think quickly for one of its size, and apparently it can also speak. If they are to face a challenge, it looks useful to have on his side.
Dec 21, 2020 1:12 am
Willow buzzes forward with Oki. Nothing is too tuff for Oki here. He now takes note of Gort. He continues with introductions I'm his flying guard. Willow be my name. He adds on, Yes what are the dangers and rewards?
Dec 21, 2020 3:49 am
So, the big bug was the blue thing's pet or... guardbug? And it too could talk (granted in a whiny voice that hurt the ears).

It looked large enough to make a decent meal, but Gort had never found insects to be very good eating. Maybe as a last resort.

Until then, a tamed flying thing could prove useful depending on what the old man needed done.
Dec 21, 2020 4:18 am
OOC:
Smiles. Especially this one. It has armor plating and it bites. That and big blue is painful.
Dec 22, 2020 1:29 am
"To the southeast, about 30 miles, lie the ruins of Colum. In the ruins, there is a group called The Swampers. We have arranged a trade with these folk. They desire these tools," he hefts a bag that appears to hold a variety of implements. "In return, they have promised us a valuable artifact, a collection of pieces of material with no grain and bits of metal attached. Return these to us, and we will see you rewarded well, in addition to anything that you may take from the ruins. The Swampers dwell at the water's edge, in the heart of the ruins. The nine-eight will take you straight to them. You need only follow the road.

"Be wary, however. Other beings dwell within the ruins, including a sect of the Knights of Genetic Purity." This causes your blood to run cold in your veins. Everyone knows the Knights of Genetic Purity. These pure strain humans are united in their hatred of mutants. They consider everyone else a second-class citizen, but their hatred of mutants drives them to kill any they come across. As children, you were warned of the dangers of the Knights and to recognize their crest; the red square with the unbalanced scale They travel heavily armed and usually carry artifacts from the Shadow Years.
Dec 22, 2020 2:17 am
"Again you say 'rewarded well'," Gort answers. "But with what?"

He glances at the offered tools, trying to determine their apparent worth. He wonders if they will be able to trust these Swampers to recognize them as representing the sages and make this bargain; but then, if this equipment is worth something, perhaps he and the big blue one could just sell it elsewhere and avoid going anywhere near any knights. That could be an easy profit.
Dec 22, 2020 3:14 am
Willow nudges Oki to answer. Appears Willow doesn't to say anything.
Dec 22, 2020 4:42 am
A very soft voice comes from behind Oki's right leg. You see a bright red and green plant like being sticking its head out. "We do not fear these Knights. They would be no match for the likes of us." You seem to recognize what appears to be a smile across the face of this flowery being.
Dec 22, 2020 5:17 am
"Sensai, the Knights are trouble, this is true. If we run across them and yet return with your artifact, what exactly is our reward? You seem like a small community, would you be able to provide us with things like armor, weapons and things we need to survive the wastes? I would gladly give my life for glory, but this is not my tribe. I would gladly negotiate for more valuables, but I am no mercenary. What I do, I do because it is the right thing to do. Everyone has a use for tools. How do we know these "Swampers" (he says it slowly and deliberately since it feels foreign to his tongue) will honor this trade?" says Kitoshi. He looks a little surprised at the plant speaking, but he shakes it off and looks the sage in the eye.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.