Interest Check: Apocalypse World, Lovecraft-style

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 24, 2020 5:12 am
Ok, had this idea in my head for a few days now and it won't go away so figured I'd make a post about it: Apocalypse World, but the apocalypse is after the Old Gods have returned.

The pitch: Cthulhu has awoken, Nyarlathotep has revealed itself, and Hastur has descended from his star prison. With the Old Gods' return, the Earth went through violent cataclysms: new lands like R'lyeh have risen, while other countries have fractured (Adios, California). 95% of humanity has been wiped out, leaving about 400 million people scattered across the entire globe. You are one of the surviving 5%. The gods have taken over giant swaths of the planet as their home turf and mostly settled down to do whatever inscrutable things it is deities from beyond time and space do. The real dangers come from the environment, cults, spawns of the Old Gods, and magic, not to mention the evils of desperate, traumatized humans themselves.

The game: AW 2e. All basic playbooks are available, plus The News from the extended playbooks. This will be a sandbox-y survival game that will require proactive players. I will set the scenes and present threats, but the game's success relies on players making the moves (which is pretty typical for AW). Likewise the world-building will be a collaborative effort, deciding the location, what Old Gods to include, the maelstrom manifestation, etc.

Fine print: Posting rate will 4-5 days per week. Looking for 4-5 players. If you are interested, leave a comment. I'm going to leave this open until after the Christmas weekend so everyone has time to apply.
Last edited December 24, 2020 5:12 am
Dec 24, 2020 10:17 am
This is very tempting.
I am interested but if you get more applications than you have slots, I'm happy to step back for someone else.
Dec 24, 2020 11:13 am
This sounds very interesting. I've been reducing my game number so maybe I try another one :D
Is knowing a lot of Cthulhu lore recommended ?
Dec 24, 2020 11:29 am
CESN says:
This sounds very interesting. I've been reducing my game number so maybe I try another one :D
Is knowing a lot of Cthulhu lore recommended ?
The lore is great so it's always recommended, but it's not required. Your characters won't know much so if you dont either then that's even better lol.
Dec 24, 2020 7:19 pm
I would be very interested in this game, as Apocalypse World has been on my list of games to try.
Dec 30, 2020 3:53 am
Ok, created the game and sent out invites to everyone.
Dec 30, 2020 5:16 pm
Hey, thanks for the invitation but I'll bow out of this one after all. I just joined another game and I don't want to get my plate too full. But it looks like you have enough players regardless.
Have fun with this one. It's an awesome concept.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.