Recruitment: AD&D 2E The Veil

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 2, 2021 3:57 pm
During seasonal shifts, when the land and water temperatures are changing, a fog rolls in off the the coast, it’s dense, thick, a magical thing. Among humans the fog is known as The Old Magister’s Murk, believing it is some ancient curse from long ago. The Elves call it The Veil of the Selandrine and mention it in legends as a boon to escape their enemies. Dwarves believe it is simply some weird seasonal weather, simply the Fog.

The Murk/Veil/Fog limits vision, keeping line of sight to almost right in your face. Unsavory sorts use this to their advantage. The wise shop keeps lock their doors and the common man with enough sense abandons the streets...still the City of Splendors and its Myriad of denizens march on during the Murk. Many shops trust in Magic wards or strong arms to secure their coffers during the phenomenon, and plenty of lovers use the Veil to hide secret trysts. The increased need for security has strained the City Watch and Guard for generations.

During The Veil, the City Guard recruits as many able bodied warriors as they can to help patrol the shrouded city. Young adventurers travel to Waterdeep in hopes of being chosen for the junior city guard, known as the Night Watch. Members of the Night Watch have no “official” power to enforce the law. They’’re peacekeepers, told to handle most problems as well as they can and only to bother the City Guard and Watch if they have to.

You, like so many others, have ventured to the city with hopes of finding fame and fortune. Here, you've learned the most valuable lesson of employment —it’s not what you know but who you know. And you know few in Waterdeep. Unable to join guilds or make a place for yourself, you’‘ve come to the one place where you think you can gain a reputation and some coin: the City Guard. You’’re not sure you want to make this a lifetime vocation; but it will give you the “in” you need to get off the streets and...into a decent inn. Everyone knows that references from the City Guard are as good as gold.

A successful stint with the Night Watch allows a person to get employment just about any where in Waterdeep, and raises the price one can ask in response to “Adventurers for Hire” advertisements as well! 1 gold piece a week is a nice bit of change to have in your pockets, too!

As a prospective Night Watch candidate, you have assembled outside the City Guard Barracks for the Academy Wards. A large gathering of over twenty warriors, wizards, rogues, and ruffians has formed before the entrance to the barracks.

The barracks are comprised of two massive stone buildings. The buildings are identical. Each has three stories plus a cellar. Their entrances face each other, so the occupants can assemble rapidly for parades, inspections, or mutual defense. The buildings are located in the center of the district, inside the Plaza of Arms. The Plaza of Arms is the parade grounds for the City Guard. The Fountain of Peace resides in the center of the Plaza, a reminder to all that peace is more important than conquest.

———————————————————————————————————————

So, I want to run an old modified module for up and coming adventurers.

I have some house rules, so this will not be perfectly by the book. 2E is my favorite addition and I want to see what hijinks our young watch can get into.

Anyone interested?
Last edited January 2, 2021 4:17 pm
Jan 7, 2021 10:29 am
I would be interested. I got bought 2e when I was a kid, but never got to play it.
Jan 7, 2021 1:56 pm
I really like the story hook, but I'm not a fan of AD&D, so I wish you luck
Jan 7, 2021 4:26 pm
I like the story idea you've thought up. I'm definitely interested in playing. I've played 2nd edition before, but it's been years since my last time.

Will this be a one shot or a full campaign?
Jan 7, 2021 11:45 pm
Seeing as how I've only attempted to run it twice, and doing so now through fg&g, and only played it once, I'd like to toss my hat into the ring. Even a forever GM needs a break to play what they run.
Jan 8, 2021 3:57 am
All are welcome. I have ideas to carry it forward if folks would like. As of now it’s just a few nights worth of interesting patrols.

https://gamersplane.com/games/2927/
Last edited January 8, 2021 4:06 am

You do not have permission to post in this thread.