Feature Request: Game-only Latest Posts

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 11, 2021 4:44 pm
Got to thinking about this after a question asked on the Discord a week ago: Is it possible we could get a "Latest Posts" style view that only shows posts from games we're in? It can sometimes be tedious to sort through posts from the Games Tavern or other parts of the site when I'm just trying to see if any of the games I'm in have updated.
Jan 11, 2021 4:47 pm
On the main page, click Latest Posts (just under the last three posts).
Jan 11, 2021 4:48 pm
I know about that button, but it shows new posts in every public forum on the site in addition to the games one is in. What I'm asking for is a link with the same functionality that only shows posts from the games you're in.
Jan 11, 2021 5:39 pm
Thanks for opening this thread, I originally asked the question on Discord.

It would definitely be super useful. It would show us which of our games were updated (like the Game Forums section at the bottom of the main Forums page), but with the ability to jump to the latest post of each updated game forum. Also, the Game Forums section of the Forum tells us there is an update at the top level of each game forum, it does not tell us in which specific thread.

The Latest Posts link found in the Home Page and top right of the main Forums page is excellent, but if there are a lot of other threads being updated, your games can be scattered and knocked way down the list.

I know it would definitely make it easier for me not to miss any game updates.
Last edited January 11, 2021 5:40 pm
Jan 11, 2021 6:14 pm
I read every thread and new post on the public forums anyway, so for me, this wouldn't be much use. But I can definitely see it being useful for everyone who is only focused on their games, so it would be a good feature to add, I think
Jan 12, 2021 1:08 am
The feature has been added. Right under the link for all latest posts is a link for games only latest posts.
Jan 12, 2021 1:14 am
Wow, that was superquick. Many thanks Keleth!
Jan 12, 2021 4:50 am
I just want to be able to view other players' characters when I'm a player. I don't know if that's unintended, but if I click any character when I'm a player I get "no character found." It makes it really hard for inter-character interactions.
Last edited January 12, 2021 4:51 am
Jan 12, 2021 5:15 am
That's on purpose, to keep secrets when they need to be kept. However, if a player adds their character to the library, then when another player clicks it, they can actually see it.

The library is under Characters, then click the book icon for the character you want public.
Jan 12, 2021 6:12 am
Qralloq says:
That's on purpose, to keep secrets when they need to be kept. However, if a player adds their character to the library, then when another player clicks it, they can actually see it.

The library is under Characters, then click the book icon for the character you want public.
That makes sense, but I think the times when that is more important has to be small. Maybe have a secret GM only field for notes, or have a toggle option to hide the character sheet? I think everyone in the campaign should be able to see the other characters by default, with a privacy/secrecy mode having to be opt in. Games with a lot of inter-character mechanics like Burning Wheel or Apocalypse World need to be aware of other character's information so it's a big hindrance to playing those types of games.
Jan 12, 2021 1:58 pm
We can look into specific parts of a character sheet being available to players in the game, but it will be very difficult under the current mechanics. I'll consider what needs to be done to change that.
Jan 12, 2021 2:04 pm
Keleth says:
We can look into specific parts of a character sheet being available to players in the game, but it will be very difficult under the current mechanics. I'll consider what needs to be done to change that.
Awesome, much appreciated.
Jan 12, 2021 2:28 pm
I'll second nezzeraj's suggestion about making character sheets default to public. It's always baffled me. I think the days of "My character is secretly working with the bad guys!" are mostly behind us as a hobby, at least for those of us who have embraced the collaborative storytelling wave. At the very least, a "GM's eyes only" window makes more sense if it's not a nightmare to implement.
Jan 12, 2021 3:32 pm
Keleth says:
The feature has been added. Right under the link for all latest posts is a link for games only latest posts.
This is great! Perhaps we could have it on the home page as well? Similarly situated underneath the Latest Posts link? Much appreciated!
Jan 12, 2021 4:42 pm
SavageBob says:
I'll second nezzeraj's suggestion about making character sheets default to public. It's always baffled me. I think the days of "My character is secretly working with the bad guys!" are mostly behind us as a hobby, at least for those of us who have embraced the collaborative storytelling wave. At the very least, a "GM's eyes only" window makes more sense if it's not a nightmare to implement.
Will say I have been in one game where we all agreed to make it public, and I just sent the DM the full backstory while putting in and edited version. Realise its extra steps, but is a work around for now.
May 7, 2021 1:53 pm
It's Could be an option when creating the game also if every sheet has a notes section where you can send these:
KoldikSteelskin sent a note to KoldikSteelskin
players with something to hide be it important or backstory are fine, I know I don't like to tell everyone my whole backstory giving the other players an edited version that is usually also shorter.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.