Interest Check: DnD5e Homebrew Setting Game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 26, 2021 11:06 pm
Here's a pitch for a 5e game I'm interested in starting from a homebrew campaign setting.

One thousand years ago, the entire planar structure nearly collapsed in on itself. The Primordeals, beings of pure elemental force, simultaneously attempted to breach the boundaries between the inner planes. The resulting chaos caused the Material Plane to buckle and reshape as the Elemental Planes began to merge with it. In the end, an alliance between the forces of the Material Plane and the Elemental Planes prevented complete disaster by creating the four World Pillars, one for each element. Although the Primordeals were driven back into their own domains, the foundation of the cosmos had been shaken and inevitably altered.

Quickly, the forces of the Upper Planes rushed to set up new outposts on the Material Plane. The souls of men, afterall, play a pivotal role in the balance of the cosmos. Seeing the imminent collapse of the world on the horizon, the Gods themselves became involved, and a tenuous pact of peace was agreed upon. However, time soon proved the Gods to be either unable or unwilling to resist imposing their influence on mortals. In the years following this Pact, a phenomenon known as Sparkborne began to emerge: individuals with supernatural control over forces of magic and nature. Some of the Gods, it appeared, planned on influencing the affairs of men in more subtle and subversive ways. The rest of the Gods, to ensure balance, began seeing their own Sparks, and thus mankind was gifted with the power of the Gods.

That was a millennium ago. Sparkborne exist around the globe in a wide variety. Other powerful beings such as genies and dragons, have shared their magic with mortals as well. One hundred years ago, the Sparkborne Alliance was formed. This Alliance, headed by a Sparkborne representative from each of the five nations, oversees the management of Sparkborne in each nation, independent of government interference. Those Sparkborne who are identified are invited to learn of their Spark, claim their own destiny, and contribute in a positive way to the world. "Only through mutual empowerment and understanding can peace truly be sustainable."

Today, Apporon is a world rich with diversity and wonder. The world is split into five nations: Oswendale, a land of nobility, prosperity, and diversity; Darguun, a land as strong as the mountains in its core; Sila’Lenor, a land deeply connected with nature; Xostun, a land scorched by fire and desert; and the Sunken Isles, an alliance of island states that value independence and freewill. It is a world of adventure, magic, gods, and monsters. It is a world where destiny awaits!

THE ADVENTURE BEGINS
The adventure will begin in Crossroads, a trade hub and small city in Southern Oswendale.

CHARACTER CREATION
- D&D Beyond. :)
- Start at Level 1. Roll stats. Give yourself 1 common magic item.
- Any published sourcebook is fair game. No UA or homebrew races or subclasses please.
- ON SPARKBORNE - This is entirely flavor and lore. The original idea for Sparkborne was a reflavoring of the Sorcerer class, mixed with mutants from the X-Men. Essentially, if you have magicky powers that come from within, or they’re gifted to you, you might be considered a Sparkborne. If its easier to think what isn’t a Sparkborne, you wouldn’t count if you have obtained your abilities from study (wizards/artificers) or prayer/meditation (clerics, druids, or paladins; some monks or rangers too). However, some rangers or monks (depending on the subclass) could definitely be considered Sparkborne (eg. Fey Wanderer Rangers or Shadow Monks). Please note that a Level 1 Sparkborne has likely not received any training, although the nearest place to do so would be Lynmar Academy in Southeastern Oswendale. All Sparkborne receive an invitation to attend Lynmar Academy once they have been discovered.
Jan 26, 2021 11:48 pm
DeJoker sent a note to Mr.Armitage
Last edited January 26, 2021 11:50 pm
Jan 27, 2021 12:18 am
I would be interested.

Probably a martial type. Maybe a ranger, maybe a fey wanderer, I would have to look into them. All races are on the table I assume.
Jan 27, 2021 1:43 pm
You could reflavour most classes to behave as Sparkborne powers with minimal tweaks, especially the divine casters.

I think it would be fun to play a Barbarian whose rage is a god-given gift (from a god of war, perhaps?). Instead of just getting really mad they could physically hulk out with divine power.

A bard whose words can literally manifest in the world would also have some fun potential.

I'm game! :)
Jan 27, 2021 1:54 pm
Is it just me or is this essentially a low-power version of Exalted?

It sounds interesting.

Minor issue: while the pitch paints a very interesting campaign setting, it is somewhat unclear about the story, what the players will actually be doing in it.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.