Shadow of the Demon Lord - New to PbP and GMing

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 15, 2021 1:38 am
Hey there. I just joined Gamers Plane as someone brand new to PbP and also GMing, and I'd like to try my hand at running a Shadow of the Demon Lord adventure. The game will initially be a starting level (character level 0) pre-made one-shot, and if everything goes well with that and I as well as the players enjoy ourselves, I would definitely consider turning it into a full campaign, levels 0 through 10.

Like I said though, I'm brand new to PbP as well as GMing, having only ran 2 irl sessions in my TTRPG career for some friends. If anyone is interested, please keep that in mind and be patient with me haha. I'm really looking forward to giving this a shot. During the game I would also appreciate feedback on ways I can improve, so I'd like people comfortable with doing that as well. If you're interested, please let me know.

Depending on if anyone is interested and we get an appropriate sized party (I'd like to keep it to 4 people) I would like to start the game sometime this week, or this upcoming weekend.
Last edited March 15, 2021 2:39 am
Mar 15, 2021 2:24 am
I'm definitely interested. I've GMed a lot of SDL but I've never been a player lol. I can also help out answering any GM questions you will have too. I recommend 4 players as most adventurers are written with that expectation and it will be less work for you to not have to adjust too much. It also allows you to cover the 4 basic archetypes.
Last edited March 15, 2021 2:26 am
Mar 15, 2021 2:42 am
That would be awesome. And yea you're right, 4 people would probably work out best for the pre made stuff. The adventure I was planning on starting with is Dark Deeds in Last Hope. Have you read/ran that before?
Last edited March 15, 2021 2:43 am
Mar 15, 2021 3:42 am
RsMonpas says:
That would be awesome. And yea you're right, 4 people would probably work out best for the pre made stuff. The adventure I was planning on starting with is Dark Deeds in Last Hope. Have you read/ran that before?
Never ran it, might have read it a few years ago but I dont remember lol
Mar 15, 2021 4:13 am
I'm interested. Always wanted to learn SotDL.
Mar 15, 2021 6:02 am
Hard to resist this, as I really dig the SotDL system and setting. Currently running my own game on a different site... and while I own DDiLH, I've never read it carefully. How active are you looking for people to be, do you know, about how many posts a week?

@RsMonpas, if we end up playing together, I'm also happy to offer tips on the medium generally -- I've been at this form of RPGs since the mid 90s, and have learned plenty of lessons over that time. =]
Mar 15, 2021 8:16 am
I'm interested as well, if there's still some spots left !
Mar 15, 2021 12:09 pm
@Harrigan I'm not totally sure yet about how often. I'm thinking maybe 1 post a day/5 days a week but as long as its within every 48 hours that'll probably be fine. And it would be great getting advice from a veteran!
@saevikas and @KCC69, sounds good

@Rattila, let me decide if I want 4 or 5 players. I let you know later today

Thanks to everyone interested, seems like we're full now!
Last edited March 15, 2021 1:34 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.