Candlekeep Mysteries - D&D 5e

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 16, 2021 2:23 pm
Hello everyone! If you’ve been on the discord recently you might’ve noticed that I’ve been very hyped about Candlekeep Mysteries. Sadly, I don’t have the time to DM another game right now, otherwise I 100% would be, cuz there’s some AMAZING looking adventures in the book. So I was wondering if anyone else has any plans to run a one-shot from the book, and if so, consider me as a player please 😁 haha. I’d prefer an adventure that is at least level 3 but I am by no means picky! I’ve never played an official module before and really want to. I know it’s not convention to make a post like this but I figured I might as well try lol
Mar 16, 2021 2:34 pm
It's totally convention to make a post like this. I've started a few games based upon players similarly expressing interest in idea that I found intriguing.

Hope you find a great group for Candlekeep!
Mar 16, 2021 2:57 pm
Awesome! Thank you, and I hope so too! Lol

Len

Mar 16, 2021 5:17 pm
It just landed in DNDBeyond for me! I haven't had a chance to look at it but I am definitely keen on the idea of one shots for PbP these days. Maybe one day I will run one or some of these once my schedule clears up.

Which adventures do you like the best, aquafina?
Mar 16, 2021 5:51 pm
Yeah I've been looking at it on DNDBeyond a bit today, but I've been trying my best to resist the urge of reading through the adventures themselves just in case someone decided to run one, so it wouldn't be spoiled for me! The only one I've read through was the very first one, and it wasn't all that exciting to me. Mainly because it's level 1 probably lol.

I've read the hook synopses of all the other ones, with Kandlekeep Dekonstruktion, Zikran's Zephyrean Tale, and Alkazaar's Appendix standing out the most to me, but I would be extremely happy to play in any of them!
Mar 16, 2021 6:05 pm
I’ve been looking at it today. I might run some later in the year, but my plate’s full at the moment.
Mar 16, 2021 7:06 pm
Smiles. Count me in if decide..
Mar 16, 2021 9:39 pm
I'll properly buy the book and reskin one or two adventures to fit my homebrew
Mar 17, 2021 11:08 am
Oh Adam you know I would be keen to play :)
Mar 17, 2021 3:12 pm
Awesome! Let me know if you do end up doing that, either and both @rune and @adam😁😁. I know from experience both of you are wonderful to play with!
Mar 17, 2021 3:13 pm
Well if we can get some of the players back together from Adam's Waterdeep campaign, I would love that, please count me in if you do it!
Mar 17, 2021 3:28 pm
Len says:
It just landed in DNDBeyond for me! I haven't had a chance to look at it but I am definitely keen on the idea of one shots for PbP these days. Maybe one day I will run one or some of these once my schedule clears up.

Which adventures do you like the best, aquafina?
I agree, Len. Running one-shots seems to be the way to go. It's really hard to keep the momentum going through a full campaign in PbP. I'm also looking forward to looking at this book.

Len

Mar 18, 2021 12:44 am
Naatkinson says:
Running one-shots seems to be the way to go. It's really hard to keep the momentum going through a full campaign in PbP. I'm also looking forward to looking at this book.
Yeah. More power to any group who can do it, but given the ups and downs of life it seems fairly rare.

I like the idea of multiple one shots that take place in the same setting. That way I as the GM can enjoy learning about a published setting or building a homebrew world despite games finishing quickly, even if that is just for myself. Kinda like how Lunitar usually runs games in the same setting, but different parts of it.

I was hoping Candlekeep Mysteries would be a little more interconnected in this way, but maybe it is more important that it allows GMs to pull out individual adventures and swap them into existing campaigns easily.
Mar 18, 2021 8:11 am
I think I'm going to offer it with a whole stable of heroes.

So let's say I set the game up to allow 18 players, at the start of each adventure six players from the eighteen will set forth - sort of like a TV series with an ensemble cast.

This way there's a low level of commitment from the players, and I can prioritise new members to the site without it ruining a campaign if they decide PbP isn't for them.
Mar 18, 2021 8:32 am
The key to getting a campaign going and maintaining it is persistence eventually you find the players that will stick to a game long term and not only you but those players end up having quite a bit of fun since they get to continuously explore not only the world but their characters and they get to grow them as well. Adam's idea is close to what I have implemented which is multiple normal games in the same basic setting. I have lost about as many players as I currently have which is about 16 to 20 players right now. I have taken players who lost all their original party and moved them to another where the players lost a single player. However unlike what Adam proposed no one that is active is sitting on the sidelines they are all playing and interacting with the current setting. So no one gets lost due to disinterest from non-inclusion.

As for this product if I had access to it I would do with it like I do with all modules both current and ancient and incorporate it into my campaign but make it my own in the process. I have found that many modules are static and my world is dynamic so this means they have to be altered anyway as my world does not sit back and wait for the PCs to encounter it lives and breathes and reacts like it ought if it were a more real-like setting.
Last edited March 18, 2021 8:36 am
Mar 18, 2021 6:23 pm
Mathfuric says:
Oh Adam you know I would be keen to play :)
SJoyner72 says:
Well if we can get some of the players back together from Adam's Waterdeep campaign, I would love that, please count me in if you do it!
I miss you too. It's in the tavern.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.