Rules Light Sci-Fi One-Shot (Full)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 23, 2021 1:28 pm
An amazing thing has occurred; the asteroid Eros, which houses one of the greatest scientific research facilities ever put together, has simply disappeared from the Sol system. No explosion. No distortion in real space as it accelerated. It just vanished with no explanation.

Within an hour a signal was detected in the Vanesco system. It was the locator beacon of Eros, and a distress signal is being broadcast on all channels. This doesn’t seem too strange – except that the Vanesco system is three hundred light years away. Command has reached out to your ship. Of all the ops teams, yours happens to be closest to the Vanesco system.

----

This will be my first time playing or GM'ing here. I've run a number of PbP (text) games on Discord, but this will be the first forum based game I've run. To make it easier on myself, I'm going with a short one-shot.

I'm looking for 3-4 players, and you have your choice of system for the game. Vote for the system you'd like to play when replying.

Tiny Frontiers: Revised
FlexD6 - Space Hack - A rules light system I've been working on. It feels like TinyD6 because it uses the same dice mechanic.

If we go with Tiny Frontiers: Revised, I may pitch a couple house rules to the group for consideration. Also, if you don't own Tiny Frontiers, you can send me a character idea and I can help put one together using traits that I think match what you're going for.

It should be a pretty short game. I'm able to post daily, but I know that doesn't work for everyone. So maybe 3-4 posts a week?

If there are any Gamers Plane GM veterans interested in joining and giving me some pointers, that would be awesome!
Last edited March 24, 2021 7:02 pm
Mar 23, 2021 6:55 pm
That sounds pretty interesting. I've played in a TinyD6 game on here before and it's a well-suited system to PBP, I think (even though it's not my favorite system personally).
I'd be interested but I'm already in too many games to commit to another one right now.

That said
Quote:
If there are any Gamers Plane GM veterans interested in joining and giving me some pointers, that would be awesome!
I could definitely join and help you out with behind-the-scenes stuff, both for working with the site and with running a game (in pbp). Just not as an actual player, I'm afraid.
Mar 23, 2021 7:17 pm
Quote:
I could definitely join and help you out with behind-the-scenes stuff, both for working with the site and with running a game (in pbp). Just not as an actual player, I'm afraid.
Wow! I may take you up on that. I played around with the site a little the other day and got a general feel for it, but there seems to be a lot of options and I'm not sure of the best way to organize it. The group and permissions stuff kinda threw me a little, but I'm sure it is because I just didn't do enough research to see how to use it.
Mar 23, 2021 7:41 pm
I'm at capacity for games as well, but good on ya for diving in to run a game -- and I love Tiny Frontiers. Great little system, and indeed it's very well-suited for PbP play. Good luck!
Mar 23, 2021 7:47 pm
Harrigan says:
I'm at capacity for games as well, but good on ya for diving in to run a game -- and I love Tiny Frontiers. Great little system, and indeed it's very well-suited for PbP play. Good luck!
Thanks! I'm a big TinyD6 fan. I burned out on crunchy systems long ago, and the trait system in TinyD6 really hit home for me. So, it is my goto system now.
Mar 23, 2021 10:39 pm
hi, this sounds interesting -- a couple of my games have just ended, so I wouldn't mind investigating that distress signal.

I've been wanting to learn the Tiny D6 system for a while, so my vote would go to Tiny Frontiers

(I played here on GP for a while now, if you need any tips)
Mar 23, 2021 10:41 pm
Dr_B says:
hi, this sounds interesting -- a couple of my games have just ended, so I wouldn't mind investigating that distress signal.

I've been wanting to learn the Tiny D6 system for a while, so my vote would go to Tiny Frontiers

(I played here on GP for a while now, if you need any tips)
Great! We have 2 players so far and 2 votes for Tiny Frontiers.
Last edited March 23, 2021 10:42 pm
Mar 24, 2021 4:16 am
3-4 times per week sounds doable and I'm good with about any system. I just finished listening to "The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet." so I've got sci-fi on my my mind.
Mar 24, 2021 4:17 am
I love that book so much.
Mar 24, 2021 4:28 am
It was amazing, I'm considering getting the second book but it doesn't follow the same people and that worries me because I grew very attached to the crew.
Mar 24, 2021 4:48 am
The three books in the series are all significantly different from one another. All amazing, but in very different ways.
Mar 24, 2021 5:07 am
This sounds like a really cool premise, and I like the idea of a one-shot. I am also a sucker for rules-light systems. I'm in!
Mar 24, 2021 5:35 am
I love a sci-fi mystery and now I simply have to know what happens next. If there's still room, I am diving in if you'll have me.
Mar 24, 2021 11:40 am
Great! Looks like the game is full if everyone wants to participate. I'll send out invites shortly.
Mar 24, 2021 5:32 pm
Let us know here when you set something up, a number of people I’ve run into do not get notifications from GP. They just vanish into the void.
Mar 24, 2021 5:36 pm
Check the "Latest Games" on the lower left of the GP home page. The game is there.
Mar 24, 2021 6:09 pm
Emberskyes says:
Let us know here when you set something up, a number of people I’ve run into do not get notifications from GP. They just vanish into the void.
Weird. I sent an invite to you a few hours ago. Here is a link to the forums: https://gamersplane.com/forums/7500/

You do not have permission to post in this thread.