Character Creation

Mar 24, 2021 10:59 pm
This thread will be for working out the details of your character. Feel free to ask me questions or work with the other players to develop links to their characters.

* We will use the array of 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 10

* PCs will start with their max HP plus an additional 5

* For levels after 1, you will take the average from your class entry

* The character options in chapter 1 of Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including customizing skills and ability scores, as well as new feats, class options, etc are available to you

* Gain a number of additional languages or tool proficiencies (barring thieves tools) equal to your Int modifier

* This game will take place in Ravenloft, a dark land filled with suspicious people. Due to this, I would recommend playing either human or close to it in order to not be singled out by the folk of the land as an outsider.
May 13, 2021 1:02 am
It probably won't matter a huge amount, but you'll be originally from the Forgotten Realms setting.
May 13, 2021 1:37 am
Awesome. Thanks for the invite. Excited about this.

I am open to running a few different classes depending on what others have in mind for themselves and am very open to discussing previous friendships/relationships among the characters and overall group dynamics.

I will throw out that my first 3 choices of classes would be Wizard, Cleric, and Rogue, not in any order though. But I wouldn't mind a couple of other classes either. I think at the moment, the only class I don't really want to play is a barbarian honestly.
May 13, 2021 1:38 am
Planning to run a forest gnome Rogue, on the run from his former guild after absconding (and consuming) his guildmaster's prized top-shelf liquor. Urchin background, often uses his skill with a disguise kit and a fair amount of mud and dirt to look like a grubby child.
May 13, 2021 1:48 am
Hello everyone. Looking forward to playing with all of you.

I read the character creation and house rule info and everything looks good to me. Only one question comes to mind at the moment. How familiar should our characters be with one another? Already existing group? Casual acquaintances?

I am pretty flexible on character backstory so it shouldn’t be too difficult to create links to the other characters once we get started with that. Regarding class: I prefer not to play characters that are primarily casters. Fighters, barbarians, rogues, rangers, clerics are what I usually like to play, but I’d be willing to try something new if other people had their minds set on those character types.
May 13, 2021 4:13 am
Are we native to Ravenloft or have we transported there?
My initial idea was a druid, but I have never played a monk as they often don't make sense in the setting
May 13, 2021 4:20 am
griffrpg says:
Only one question comes to mind at the moment. How familiar should our characters be with one another? Already existing group? Casual acquaintances?

I am pretty flexible on character backstory so it shouldn’t be too difficult to create links to the other characters once we get started with that. Regarding class: I prefer not to play characters that are primarily casters. Fighters, barbarians, rogues, rangers, clerics are what I usually like to play, but I’d be willing to try something new if other people had their minds set on those character types.
I am okay with whatever level of familiarity you want to have with one another. The game starts with you on your way back to the town of Phandalin to get a bounty for a camp of goblins that you dealt with, so you should at least know each other a little bit.
runekyndig says:
Are we native to Ravenloft or have we transported there?
You will be native to the Forgotten Realms and be transported to Ravenloft.
May 13, 2021 8:07 am
I'm sticking to the druid concept and is aiming for Circle of Stars at level 2

If the Haunted One background is available. I'm thinking that he was born under a dark star. He can feel it watching him, coldly and distantly. Sometimes it beckons him in the dead of night. That is what is drawing him to the nature of the stars. It both fascinates and horrifies him.

I started creating the avatar in Heroforge.com and he went in another direction than first anticipated. I think he is from a larger city like Waterdeep, but sought out a druid to help him understand the star's effect on him. He participated in druidic rituals with fire and drums or water and silence and when he was included into the druid circle he was gifted with a shoulder guard and staff.

Last edited May 13, 2021 9:21 pm
May 13, 2021 10:48 am
Character is still a work in progress, but I have submitted him
May 13, 2021 11:41 am
With CM going rogue, I am obviously leaning towards Cleric or Wizard. Maybe a War Domain or Forge Domain Cleric to help the front line. I will do something I have never done and play a human (Varient) and start with War Caster maybe if I play the Cleric.

Thinking out loud here... The cleric's goal would be more magical support (Bless all the time. One of my favorite spells. Maybe Spirit Guardians depending on the situation of course.) and front-line assistance.

If I went the Wizard route, it would be of the Abjuration style/control wizard to help manage fights and not damage-focused.

The character himself would be more a helpful type of character who doesn't want to be in the spotlight or relied on, but is always assisting his friends and trying to make them look good with either class.

Up for suggestions and what the group would enjoy seeing.

KCC

May 13, 2021 11:42 am
Rogue, Druid and Caster Cleric/Wizard so far then? :)
May 13, 2021 1:23 pm
KCC69 says:
Rogue, Druid and Caster Cleric/Wizard so far then? :)
Looks that way. With that in mind I would be leaning towards a human fighter. Can either go sword and board to be a meat shield or two handed for extra damage based on the needs of the group.

Still thinking over the character background and concept at the moment.
May 13, 2021 2:44 pm
Is the bloodhunter a variable class?
May 13, 2021 5:46 pm
Submitted Knobbenkirk Coneyfast, forest gnome rogue with the urchin background. I haven't decided which city he originates from, but if we're just finishing a job near Phandalin, he could be from Neverwinter or Waterdeep.
[ +- ] History
The main gist is that Knobby has fallen out of favor with his guild and is on the run. He hooks up with adventurers as a means of traveling beyond the guild's reach, surrounding himself with powerful allies, and obtaining treasure for self-sustenance. Whenever he's in a town or village, he likes to disguise himself as a grubby human child, loitering with one of the parental figures in the party to avoid the attention of wayward eyes (this can be a bond with a fellow PC). Trouble is, he has a fondness for alcohol, so the effectiveness of his disguise greatly depends on his sobriety.

Background: Urchin
Feature: City Secrets
Personality Trait: I hide scraps of food and trinkets away in my pockets.
Personality Trait: I like to squeeze into small places where no one else can get to me.
Ideal: I'm going to prove that I'm worthy of a better life.
Bond: I owe my survival to another urchin who taught me to live on the streets.
Bond: I partner with [NAME] to sell the image of a parental figure with their child (potential bond).
Flaw: I am too enamored of ale, wine, and other intoxicants.
Flaw: It's not stealing if I need it more than someone else.

DDB link
May 13, 2021 9:22 pm
I am crafting a blood hunter, a magic-using fighter that uses HP instead of spell slots to fule his effects.

KCC

May 13, 2021 10:26 pm
Just how far away from Human is acceptable?
May 13, 2021 10:40 pm
KCC69 says:
Just how far away from Human is acceptable?
You can be any of the core races without my approval. If you want to stray beyond that, you'll have to ask. It's merely a suggestion because of how the people of Ravenloft view outsiders. If you wanna be something else, I just wanted you to know it will make it harder to get people to trust you 😁

KCC

May 13, 2021 10:56 pm
Okay, great! I’m thinking elf but good to know that half orcs, tieflings and I guess dragonborns are on the table!

Im considering a Paladin, too.
May 13, 2021 11:58 pm
I have submitted my human fighter, Tommasso "Tom" Branch.

I could see him and Knobby running around together recently based upon their mutual love of alcohol. I imagine there would be this cognitive dissonance with the way Tom views Knobby that would push him to want to stick around the gnome for a while so he can understand him better. He would see Knobby as simultaneously being a dirty scoundrel and a childlike figure in need of Tom's protection (not that Tom would ever let on that he looks at him as anything other than a drinking buddy).

Personality Traits
1) I appear carefree, joyful, and full of life. I am always willing to share a drink, trade tales, or sing a song. I am that guy that always says, "Just one more drink. Come on!"
2) This is because I have terrible survivor's guilt and dread going to bed each night. I cannot close my eyes without seeing all of the people that have died around me while I was powerless to stop it.

Ideal
If you are good at something then you have a responsibility to use that talent whether or not you like doing so.

Bond
I have a soft spot for kids. I try to spare them the horrors of the real world so they can enjoy the innocence of childhood that I was denied.

Flaw
I am incapable of turning down a drink and have a bit of a gambling habit. I'm afraid that without these distractions I might have no choice but to confront my true demons.
[ +- ] Backstory
Last edited May 13, 2021 11:59 pm
May 14, 2021 12:34 am
griffrpg says:
I could see him and Knobby running around together recently based upon their mutual love of alcohol. I imagine there would be this cognitive dissonance with the way Tom views Knobby that would push him to want to stick around the gnome for a while so he can understand him better. He would see Knobby as simultaneously being a dirty scoundrel and a childlike figure in need of Tom's protection (not that Tom would ever let on that he looks at him as anything other than a drinking buddy).
This sounds good. If you're up for it, Knobby could have met Tom on the road, or perhaps in a common city just as Knobby was making a quick exit.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.