Fate: Mage Tower team Strixhaven

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 9, 2021 4:36 am
Ok...maybe a silly idea, but I've been thinking thinking a lot about playing a Magic: the Gathering themed game. While D&D seems the obvious choice...it is a bit restrictive when it comes to what a character can do when compared to some of the stuff seen in the card game.

So, I thought Fate, maybe? For the story, I'd want the PCs to be a Mage Tower team, so everyone would have a built in reason to work together. You'd be magic college students and the story would be focused mostly on the games but would have slice of magical life going on between the competitions.

For those not caught up on the new Strixhaven set, Mage Tower is capture the flag but with magic. And living (or animated at least) flags. Teams consist of 5 players, and lethal magic is prohibited.

I've got some more added rules we would use, basically the Fantasy Magic system for Fate Core, and some structure applied to character creation.

Now, anyone interested?
Apr 9, 2021 2:19 pm
Is this going to be similar to the online game?

Len

Apr 9, 2021 2:59 pm
Hi Maskcot, I am a Magic:the Gathering fan as well. Just wanted share some support for your project to bring Magic's fascinating worlds to TTRPGs. I hope you have a blast!

I stopped playing during the pandemic, so it is interesting to hear about Mage Tower. Cool concept.
Apr 9, 2021 4:11 pm
DeJoker says:
Is this going to be similar to the online game?
I don't know what online game you mean (I'm aware of Magic Arena and Magic Online). It will not be the card game. We would be playing the story as though you were actually a student in the school. So...like the story that plays out in the novelizations or the flavor text of the cards. You won't have to "build a deck" or be limited to the cards, but you could look to the cards for inspiration. Does that make sense?
Apr 9, 2021 4:51 pm
Yes that makes sense -- I would like to sign up for this. Although my experience with Fate is a bit weak so might need guidance and such are you good at explaining and helping someone learn the ropes?
Apr 9, 2021 6:03 pm
I don't have a lot of time the next week or two because I agreed to relearn AP calculus and physics for a job, but I'd be interested in playing. A bit rusty on Fate and Magic lore (I quit last year when I realized I was spending 3-5 hours a day thinking about the Ikoria draft format), but the whole thing looks and sounds fun as heck.
Apr 9, 2021 7:57 pm
Fate is definitely a game I want to play more of but if I am not super familiar with Magic The Gathering lore. Nevertheless you present an interesting game idear.
Apr 9, 2021 8:17 pm
Seems like an interesting idea. Never played FATE before but wanted to learn it for a while. I'm familiar with MTG but not really the lore but it sounds really interesting. If you have an opening I'd love to join.
Apr 21, 2021 5:31 pm
Maskcot says:

I've got some more added rules we would use, basically the Fantasy Magic system for Fate Core, and some structure applied to character creation.
Where would I find the Fantasy Magic system for Fate Core?
Apr 22, 2021 8:42 am
He's probably referring to the High Fantasy Magic system: (??)

https://fate-srd.com/odds-ends/high-fantasy-magic

This game looks interesting, is this still happening?
Last edited April 22, 2021 8:43 am
Apr 22, 2021 10:40 am
Thank you gnomius!

I what to play fate
I what to play some mage like game
I what to play some early century adventure pulp (like Indiana Jones)
When I am done with my current game I am GM'ing I'll properly set something up that ticks those boxes
May 9, 2021 6:18 pm
I would love to join this. I've never played Fate but would be willing to learn to get to play an MTG based game!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.