(Recruitment/discussion) RoAries Scifantasy Game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 21, 2021 7:39 am
Hi all. I like world building, and so have made a setting and timeline of this universe. I don't have a real name for it, and there is lots to explain.

Basic premise: You work for a human Faction. Serving non-human Factions may be wierd, but if the players wish, it can be possible.

Role?: As there are quite a number of Factions, each would wish to establish peaceful relations(even if they had fought wars before). As such, you may be Diplomats sent to negotiate with other cultures and worlds. Or you may covert soldiers sent to eliminate alien invaders from outside the universe(s).

Tone: This is overall themes: Scifantasy, Cosmic Horror, Surreal, Grim Dark, Dark Humour.

In the universe I made, there are 4 Mirrorverses(your PCs very likely won't know this), each having a different time line and cosmic ecosystem. The one we shall be on is where Mankind has dominated most of the galaxy, and non-humans at most have minor empires. At this period, invaders from outside the multiverse have joined together to conquer everything within it.

Do give feedback, such as what information you like me to share, and suggestions like what you wish to play as, or what system you prefer for this.
Last edited April 21, 2021 7:40 am
May 7, 2021 11:48 am
I see that no-one is interested yet. I might have to narrow down what my game will be about, or I shall have my game in another place.
May 7, 2021 1:47 pm
It sounds interesting; I just don't have the bandwidth for another game at the moment. But I wonder if you might get more interest if you went ahead and chose the system? And then perhaps narrow the concept down to an elevator pitch? "It's Delta Green meets Terminator" or something? That would give people something to sink their teeth into. Good luck!
May 7, 2021 3:49 pm
As one of RoAries long term players in another game, let me add a recommendation that his world building is great, and he knows how to drive the plot and action forward in an interesting way.
May 7, 2021 9:12 pm
I'd be up for a sci-fi game, but I'm not sure how I'd be on learning another new system atm. Depending what it's in, I might be up for it.
May 10, 2021 3:27 pm
More or less same amount of head math as 13th age I think if that helps. Via the vat copy look alike for Qralloq's PC without the emotional or conversational ability.
May 11, 2021 8:55 am
Thanks for the feedback. I don't want to seem rude by sharing this, but I have opened up this in a LFG Reddit thread for a certain game system to check for interest. So far there is little communication much there too, so I'll check on both here and there and judge what is best.
Sorry if I didn't made it clear, but I am hoping for a suggestion on what may be the best system to play this out. So far, I have tried with Fate Core, and while it seems simple, the idea of putting out descriptors and perhaps homebrewing abilities is a little difficult. And as for DnD, it feels like it is not easy to apply to a Sci fi setting, unless homebrewing is done.

I am looking for something that is easy enough to homebrew enemy stats and perhaps equipment. The idea of the game in my mind currently is that a group of humans/humanoids are recently recruited from a planet/different planets to serve as agents of an intergalactic faction. Said faction may or may not be human, I will leave to the players to decide. Note, that the aliens are not like something from classic Sci fi interpretation, they are somewhat tied to the history of humans their Creator. In this universe, the concept of god-beings exist, and they use "reality-engines" to design their personal creations.
Last edited May 11, 2021 8:59 am
May 11, 2021 9:01 am
Link to earlier game. This is my first attempt with using Fate to play in my setting.
May 12, 2021 3:24 am
RoAries says:
Sorry if I didn't made it clear, but I am hoping for a suggestion on what may be the best system to play this out. So far, I have tried with Fate Core, and while it seems simple, the idea of putting out descriptors and perhaps homebrewing abilities is a little difficult. And as for DnD, it feels like it is not easy to apply to a Sci fi setting, unless homebrewing is done.

I am looking for something that is easy enough to homebrew enemy stats and perhaps equipment. The idea of the game in my mind currently is that a group of humans/humanoids are recently recruited from a planet/different planets to serve as agents of an intergalactic faction. Said faction may or may not be human, I will leave to the players to decide. Note, that the aliens are not like something from classic Sci fi interpretation, they are somewhat tied to the history of humans their Creator. In this universe, the concept of god-beings exist, and they use "reality-engines" to design their personal creations.
I'm not exactly super well-versed in sci-fi systems, but I might have a few suggestions.

The first would be to check out generic systems such as GURPS, BRP, or Open D6. As they are not tied to a specific setting, it's pretty easy to build your setting with them (though GURPS can get a bit complicated when it comes to sci-fi stuff...). For more rules-lite options, you can check out PDQ, Dicechucker, Rocket Amoeba, Five by Five, Mini Six, or D6 Pool.

For games which are specifically sci-fi, Uncharted Worlds might be a good candidate. It is PbtA, and is not tied to any specific setting. In fact, during character creation, you are encouraged to have your players involved in certain elements of the world creation. Another good option would be FrontierSpace. Though that last one is tied to its own specific setting, the Referee's Handbook does offer plenty of tips and tools to help you create your own instead.

Edit: Oh, it occurred to me that I have another 2 sci-fi candidates. Screams Amongst the Stars, the space/sci-fi entry of a small trio of games made by Diogo Nogueira. It is very much horror sci-fi with rules inspired by Into the Odd (you roll only when you're trying to avoid bad things, hence why all rolls are called "saves"). It is it's own setting, but is painted broadly enough that you can do pretty much whatever you want with it... Aliens & Asteroids, a nice mix of Starship Troopers, X-Com, and cosmic horror using an inverted d20 system. It is also it's own setting which is a bit more rigid than the one mentioned above, but nothing stop you from modifying it or making your own...
Last edited May 12, 2021 3:39 am
May 14, 2021 7:34 am
Thanks for your rich suggestions, kalajel! I'll look through them and consider what seems good enough. Or maybe I'll just experiment with one that looks interesting.
May 19, 2021 2:57 pm
I want to try out Screams Amongst the Stars. I'll make a new thread and link to it once I feel confident enough to begin.
So far, my idea of the setting is a little different from the player handbook:

You are Spacers, people who have been entrusted with discovering and exploring planets. Your home world isn't Earth, which has been lost millenia ago, but Darst, a terraformed and colonised planet that has seen centuries of history.

Since you were children, you were told myths of the ancient humanity. The Golden Age of Colonisation has ended when the Age of Dark Tears came. A wave of alien death and evil spread and consumed the domains of mankind. It was only through divine intervention did mankind survived annihilation, with the creation of the Creator's Light did the Darkness get repelled. By then, it was too late for many fallen regions, as most stars have been eaten by the Dark Tide.

Darst was said to be one of the planets that almost was wiped by the Enemies of Mankind. As humanity began to reorganise itself, it met bizarre beings. These creatures swore peace, and even made themselves slowly appear like humans. However, these creatures warn humanity that their relationship were to be that as long as they help mankind, mankind has to adapt and listen to their guidance. This has caused many factions to grow displeased, or greedy. Eventually, they were made to lose their way of communication with each other, and their technological strength were controlled and secretly monitored.

It so happens that atleast for the past 100 years, mankind finally were able to step out into space freely without "divine intervention" sabotaging their progress...
May 19, 2021 3:40 pm
Cool.

I've wanted to try those games ever since I received my Kickstarter rewards.

Just remember that since all rolls are saves in this game, things must have gotten really wrong in order for players to have to roll. ;)
May 20, 2021 1:41 pm
Alright. I'm ready to accept interested players.
Link to recruitment thread.
Sep 19, 2021 6:01 am
Hello all! I am now open to new players! Currently, 2 more spaces are open.

Character creation:

The new characters will come in as staff already stationed at the colony. They are instructed to join the "party", as the situation grows more troubling.

You can go with the original way of rolling for everything. Any background that seems at odds with standard space colony stuff could be further discussed.

Or, you could pick and choose what background and appearance that you want. To make it fair to the starting players, I'll say that you will be given 1 background item, and 1 less O2 canister. But in exchange, you get to manually describe your character.
Last edited September 19, 2021 7:38 am

You do not have permission to post in this thread.