Cypher game system

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 30, 2021 5:03 pm
Are there any cypher games being run on gamers playing? Or is there anybody that would have any interest in playing in a cypher game?
Apr 30, 2021 7:23 pm
I would play in one, depending on what the game is of course. I was just about to look for a game.
Last edited April 30, 2021 7:23 pm
Apr 30, 2021 9:43 pm
I backed the kickstarter for Monte cook games Ptolus: City by the spire. I will be getting the setting for d&d 5e and for cypher. I'm already running a Ptolus 5e game on a different website. I'm interested in trying a cypher game though I would be learning the rules as we went along.
May 1, 2021 3:51 pm
Ah. Very cool. I hadn’t heard of that one yet. But it sounds interesting.
May 1, 2021 5:02 pm
I've launched a bunch of games recently and I'm near my limit, otherwise I'd love to run a Cypher based full fantasy game.

Len

May 1, 2021 5:35 pm
I am super excited for Ptolus Cypher and 5e. I've only just started looking at the Ptolus Cypher pdfs, but it has the equivalent of an ancient treasure chest with a rusty lock full of of fun toys for running Cypher in a pure fantasy setting. I won't be running it soon, but one day I would like to run it. Maybe in the fall of 2021. Currently playing in 1 cypher game her on GP, seems like an excellent system for play-by-post.
May 1, 2021 6:43 pm
I tried to get in on a Cypher game a while back. I don't remember what happened to the game.

Is the system fairly easy to learn? I have the rules. I just haven't looked at them, other than to try to create a character for Numenera.
Last edited May 1, 2021 6:44 pm
May 1, 2021 6:46 pm
Aegis says:
Ah. Very cool. I hadn’t heard of that one yet. But it sounds interesting.
It is originally a setting for D&D 3.x. Big giant book with lots of information, something like 650 pages big.
May 1, 2021 10:52 pm
HoorayRat says:
Is the system fairly easy to learn? I have the rules. I just haven't looked at them, other than to try to create a character for Numenera.
Yeah, I found it easy, though I disliked how the Numenera book was arranged. Essentially anything you want to try, throw a d20. The difficulty is based on the level of the creature/NPC/object/item/etc (everything has a level). If you're trained or inhibited somehow, the difficulty of the check goes up or down by preset amount.

And that's mostly it. The same rules apply to combat, initiative, items, skills, interpersonal checks, all of it. There's a bunch of little exceptions that the DM needs to know about, but that's the gist of the game.
May 10, 2021 10:30 pm
So I'm going through the Cypher rules to get an idea of how to use them.

I don't consider myself a great GM, ok at best. My posts aren't literary works of art. I do try to give some descriptions of the scene and action, but nothing to write home about. English and grammar were not something I even remotely liked.

If I decided to run a Cypher Ptolus game on Gamer's Plane, how many of you would be interested in playing?

I am running a 5e Ptolus game on another site. I'd be happy to provide the link, if anyone wants to pm me, to see what my GM style is like.
May 10, 2021 10:47 pm
Maaaan that sounds awesome! I'd really like to explore Ptolus EXCEPT for the whole "so busy I can barely breathe" thing :P

You do not have permission to post in this thread.