Best System for Mortal Kombat RPG?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
May 6, 2021 7:58 pm
Now here is where Street Fighter might come in handy -- to give ideas for those fighting styles and such but yeah there would need to be something meshed into it I imagine to help create a more Mortal Kombat type look and feel.
May 7, 2021 12:28 am
Anima Prime would be a great system for this! Check it out here
Last edited May 7, 2021 12:28 am
May 7, 2021 4:35 pm
Savage Worlds hasn't been mentioned.
May 7, 2021 11:08 pm
Do any combat systems use push-your-luck action economy? That seems like a good way to get the back-and-forth of fighting games...
May 8, 2021 1:08 pm
GreyGriffin says:
Do any combat systems use push-your-luck action economy? That seems like a good way to get the back-and-forth of fighting games...
Anima Prime uses something similar. You have 3 dice pools that are modified by your powers, skills, and traits. You assign dice from these pools for different actions such as attacking or defending.
May 9, 2021 9:16 am
My GM in one of our games lets us attempt to do something a second time on a fail with possible negitive consequences on a consecutive failure, you could set up a similar system for attacks alowing you to make a second attack with possible negitive consequences if you miss.
Of course this would make it easier to hurt creatures that are easier to hit if the game you end up using has that mechanic.
This is not a game system recommendation just a mechanic I think you could add to most games.
May 13, 2021 8:21 pm
Thanks for the responses, everybody!

I’ll definitely check out some of the systems that have been recommended. Does anyone know if any of the suggested systems have rules for building your own moves or powers? I’d like players to be able to construct their own combat techniques and finishing moves from scratch.
May 13, 2021 8:28 pm
You can build moves with Fight!, and the rules are pretty extensive. Likewise, GURPS Martial Arts gives you the ability to build anything you might want, though the crunchiness is on the high end.
May 13, 2021 8:51 pm
Thanos_Was_Right says:
You can build moves with Fight!, and the rules are pretty extensive. Likewise, GURPS Martial Arts gives you the ability to build anything you might want, though the crunchiness is on the high end.
I did look into Fight! Second Edition. It seems a little complicated but I considered Gurps as well. I agree that GURPS is complex but I also know the system fairly well.
Last edited May 13, 2021 8:51 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.