Edge of the Empire

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 31, 2015 1:47 pm
The game I've been absolutely itching to play is Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. How many people are interested in putting a game together? I'd rather play, but I can GM too.
Feb 4, 2015 12:35 am
I'd play, I have the Core Rulebook but I never got a chance to play it.
Feb 4, 2015 1:08 am
Lets plan to play Core Rulebook only, then. That's all I've got anyway.

As to storyline, do you prefer a canon or non-canon game? I have no strong preference either way, but I like the ability to go off rails if someone "messes up" the canon storyline.
Feb 4, 2015 1:12 am
I'd prefer non-canon, that way both the players and GM have more freedom.
Feb 4, 2015 1:25 am
It'd be nice to have 3 - 4 players, but we could play GM-less if we have trouble getting enough players. The Order66 podcast had some advice on that. (According to the unofficial index its episode 1 at 1:29:30.)

Maybe we can even persuade Keleth to play.
Feb 4, 2015 1:42 am
I'm sure we can find at least 2 other players, although I'd prefer to have a GM. What if we play episodically and rotate who GMs after each adventure?
Feb 4, 2015 1:51 am
Sounds great to me. That way everyone gets a chance to play. And, if we wanted to, we could rotate the new GM's PC to NPC status and continue with the same PCs/group in the next adventure.
Feb 4, 2015 1:52 am
I'd love to play but I don't have the book and FFG doesn't seem to sell pdfs. However, if someone wanted to roll me up a character I could play.
Feb 4, 2015 2:05 am
I think we could manage that. I found some really nice talent trees that'll let you know how your career specialization options go. What kind of character roles do you like to play? That contains more specializations than the core rule book, so here's the core specializations.

Bounty Hunter

- Assassin
- Gadgeteer
- Survivalist

Colonist

- Doctor
- Politico
- Scholar

Explorer

- Fringer
- Scout
- Trader

Hired Gun

- Bodyguard
- Marauder
- Mercenary Soldier

Smuggler

- Pilot
- Scoundrel
- Thief

Technician

- Mechanic
- Outlaw Tech
- Slicer

Universal*

- Force Sensitive Exile
Last edited February 4, 2015 2:27 am
Feb 4, 2015 2:39 am
I like to play, well, anything. If you have an adventure idea, I'd choose something to match. Otherwise, I would choose something with versatility, like an Explorer/Fringer, a Technician/Outlaw Tech or a Colonist/Doctor.
Feb 4, 2015 2:56 am
I guess I should consider myself de facto GM, unless someone else would rather GM. How's this for an adventure seed?
Quote:
Galaxy-renowned scientist and physician Elaisan Johtot has chartered the crew of *insert ship here* for passage to a medical conference on *planet*. She intends to announce a promising new bacta alternative to the galaxy there. But Thyferran agents have no intent to let the substance hit the market, and will do anything to stop it.
Feb 4, 2015 3:00 am
Sounds great!
Feb 4, 2015 3:01 am
I have Edge, and the beta books for AoR and FaD. What post per week commitment are you looking for, and could I play a Force sensitive?
Feb 4, 2015 3:05 am
Sounds great! I'll be a Smuggler/Pilot, unless one of you guys wants to be.

Edit: And also what would you guys like to name the ship? How about "The Cavalier"?
Last edited February 4, 2015 3:16 am
Feb 4, 2015 4:05 am
EotE is one of my favorites right now. There's something about the play that's really great. This is as good a time as any to start looking at new dice. Thoughts on what icons should represent each of the 8 symbols?
Feb 4, 2015 4:21 am
EldritchFire says:
I have Edge, and the beta books for AoR and FaD. What post per week commitment are you looking for, and could I play a Force sensitive?
Hey I didn't see this before, my bad. I'm cool with any commitment.
Keleth says:
EotE is one of my favorites right now. There's something about the play that's really great. This is as good a time as any to start looking at new dice. Thoughts on what icons should represent each of the 8 symbols?
We could just use different colors.

Success: Green
Advantage: Blue
Triumph: Yellow
Failure: Grey
Despair: Red
Threat: Purple

Force can just use White for light side and black for dark side.

We could also use unicode symbols.
Feb 4, 2015 4:42 am
Actually, if I get donations, hiring a designer to help me come up with new icons may be a good use of that money :D

That being said, colors would get confusing, since the dice you use is also color based.
Feb 4, 2015 12:35 pm
EldritchFire says:
What post per week commitment are you looking for, and could I play a Force sensitive?
I figure 1 post every 1-2 weeks. If folks want to post more they're welcome to. And yes to the Force Sensitive Exile (since we're Core only).
Keleth says:
Thoughts on what icons should represent each of the 8 symbols?
To start we could just use the text and a tally, EG "1x Triumph, 2x Advantage, 2x Failure". But mrmrlol is right, we could also use various unicode symbols as the dice icons.
Feb 4, 2015 1:49 pm
RustInPieces says:
EldritchFire says:
What post per week commitment are you looking for, and could I play a Force sensitive?
I figure 1 post every 1-2 weeks. If folks want to post more they're welcome to. And yes to the Force Sensitive Exile (since we're Core only).
So core EotE only, then? Nothing from AoR or FaD? Just clarifying since they are all three core books, and I have them all. And it's trivially easy to find the careers and Force powers online :p
Last edited February 4, 2015 1:52 pm
Feb 4, 2015 2:37 pm
EldritchFire says:
RustInPieces says:
EldritchFire says:
So core EotE only, then? Nothing from AoR or FaD? Just clarifying since they are all three core books, and I have them all. And it's trivially easy to find the careers and Force powers online :p
It is easy to find them, but I think it's best to start with just EoTE and consider the others later. It's hard to run a game for rule books you don't have. If I really get into playing EoTE I'll definitely get the other core rule books.
Feb 4, 2015 4:03 pm
I'm considering putting up Amazon referral links to buy RPG stuff so people get their books/materials but I can make a bit off it to help support the site :)
Feb 4, 2015 4:26 pm
Keleth says:
I'm considering putting up Amazon referral links to buy RPG stuff so people get their books/materials but I can make a bit off it to help support the site :)
Thats a good idea. I usually buy my stuff online anyway.
Feb 4, 2015 4:31 pm
Keleth says:
Don't forget a DTRPG affiliate link, too!
Feb 4, 2015 4:36 pm
Might I also suggest www.miniaturemarket.com as well
Feb 4, 2015 4:44 pm
I didn't know DTRPG does referral links. I'll look into that!
Feb 4, 2015 4:45 pm
Not sure if MM does either just thought it would be worth looking into.
Feb 4, 2015 5:01 pm
I can't find any info on MM or DTRPG referral links. EldritchFire, any idea where I can find the DTRPG links? Or just a suggestion?

I have the info for Amazon referrals; just gotta figure out where to put them...
Feb 4, 2015 7:15 pm
I'll send an email today!
Feb 4, 2015 7:50 pm
I'm a huge SW fan but I don't have any of the EoE books. Totally be down to play if that isn't an issue.
Feb 4, 2015 8:38 pm
Alright, Amazon referral link created, created a request for a DTRPG referral link. Now to find where I'm gonna put them :D
Feb 4, 2015 9:09 pm
KennyGardnerIII says:
I'm a huge SW fan but I don't have any of the EoE books. Totally be down to play if that isn't an issue.
Not an issue. There's 3 of us with rule books. I'll try to create the game tonight if I have time.
Feb 4, 2015 11:21 pm
I can't post a new game for EotE right now (I filed a bug about that) so lets answer a few questions:

- What's the name of the party's ship?
- Does the party own an astromech droid, or does someone want to play one?
- Does everyone want to be part of the crew, or does anyone want to be a recent hire? Bear in mind that not everyone can be a recent hire though.

Keleth, you said EotE was your favorite, but did you want to be in on the game? :) Either choice is fine, but we do have some splendiferous death-by-chocolate cookies.
Last edited February 4, 2015 11:48 pm
Feb 4, 2015 11:31 pm
RustInPieces says:
I can't post a new game for EotE right now (I filed a bug about that) so lets answer a few questions:

- What's the name of the party's ship?
- Does the party own an astromech droid, or does someone want to play one?
- Does everyone want to be part of the crew, or does anyone want to be a recent hire? Bear in mind that not everyone can be a recent hire though.

Keleth, you said EotE was your favorite, but did you want to be in on the game? :) Either choice is fine, but we do have some splendiferous death-by-chocolate cookies.
Well since I'll be the Pilot I'd be part of the crew. I don't mind much about the droid one way or another. I propose "The Cavalier" for the ship name, or if thats too tied to Earth then maybe "The Endeavor."
Feb 5, 2015 12:26 am
I like the Emerald Phoenix as a ship name. As for character concepts, I'd like to be a bounty hunter/freelance mercenary of sorts. Maybe part of the crew, or maybe just a close associate who hitches rides on the ship from time to time.
Feb 5, 2015 12:43 am
KennyGardnerIII says:
I like the Emerald Phoenix as a ship name. As for character concepts, I'd like to be a bounty hunter/freelance mercenary of sorts. Maybe part of the crew, or maybe just a close associate who hitches rides on the ship from time to time.
Ooh I like that name.
Feb 5, 2015 1:31 am
You have no idea how much I wanna play, but as I'm in one, running two, and trying to get this site going, all 3 of which are WAAAAAY behind schedule, I'd end up being a slower, more annoying C-3PO :D
Feb 5, 2015 2:50 am
KennyGardnerIII says:
You can check out a PDF of the talent trees on this post, with the core specializations we're playing with listed out below the link.
Keleth says:
You have no idea how much I wanna play, but as I'm in one, running two, and trying to get this site going, all 3 of which are WAAAAAY behind schedule, I'd end up being a slower, more annoying C-3PO :D
Maybe another time then. And yeah, I do know how much time running/playing 3 different PbP games takes. It's a bunch of fun, but also a mess at the same time. ;)
Feb 5, 2015 2:59 am
Roster thus far:

- mrmrlol: Smuggler/Pilot
- EldritchFire: ? + Universal/Force Sensitive Exile
- KennyGardnerIII: Bounty Hunter/?
- Qralloq: ?
- jimmylogan: ?

I won't have time to post the game till tomorrow.
Last edited February 5, 2015 3:29 am
Feb 5, 2015 3:13 am
Hey - heard about Gamersplane on a podcast... I currently GM two groups and would love to play in one!

No preference on the role I would play - what is needed? A "face" ?

I don't mind playing a droid, but prefer not to. Again, if that's what is "needed" though...
Feb 5, 2015 3:18 am
Is it at all possible for me to play the Heavy build for Hired Gun?
Feb 5, 2015 3:29 am
jimmylogan says:

I don't mind playing a droid, but prefer not to. Again, if that's what is "needed" though...
There's no requirement for a droid character. On page 1 of the thread there's an adventure seed I posted, it's not much but it'll serve as a starting point.
KennygardnerIII says:
Is it at all possible for me to play the Heavy build for Hired Gun?
So far we've been restricting things to the core specifications I listed in that post, so no. But if everyone wants to go with any specification for EotE, then I'm fine with that. I just figured that we should keep things relatively simple to start.
Feb 5, 2015 3:30 am
I'm making a character now and I'm not all that familiar with the system. How much Obligation do we each start with?
Feb 5, 2015 12:31 pm
Okay everyone, the game is created and we can get rolling with discussion/character creation over there. There's also a specific Character Creation subforum to use for character creation. And because of all the questions of specializations from supplements I've put up a thread for you all to vote on: if you want specializations from a supplement, now's your chance to vote for it.

Darth Vader wants you to join! Do your service to your Emperor and the galaxy today!
Feb 5, 2015 12:49 pm
Damn, I wanna plan in this... oh well, there will be other times. For now, I have to get EotE dice working for you guys! I'll try to get the icon work done by this weekend, and replace it, while I seek legal advice on the color/names. My initial guess is that its fine, but gonna play it safe, since I have a hookup for a free consult with a big firm anyway :D
Feb 5, 2015 2:35 pm
RustInPieces says:
jimmylogan says:

There's no requirement for a droid character. On page 1 of the thread there's an adventure seed I posted, it's not much but it'll serve as a starting point.
Okay - saw that - looks like another "hired gun" type of guy would not hurt anything? Since it looks like a "protection" mission? Maybe a bodyguard type spec?
Feb 5, 2015 2:35 pm
Keleth says:
Damn, I wanna plan in this... oh well, there will be other times.
Have you played the system at all? It's my favorite RPG so far, and I'm an old guy. :-)
Feb 5, 2015 2:41 pm
RustInPieces says:
Okay everyone, the game is created and we can get rolling with discussion/character creation over there. There's also a specific Character Creation subforum to use for character creation. And because of all the questions of specializations from supplements I've put up a thread for you all to vote on: if you want specializations from a supplement, now's your chance to vote for it.

Darth Vader wants you to join! Do your service to your Emperor and the galaxy today!
No posts in the thread yet, but I'll be glad to get it started. [EDIT: looks like there's no thread for me to post in and it won't let me start a new thread]

As for the vote, I voted yes to allow, and I'd like to explain, GM to GM, why I think that's okay.

The core rules are the same - period. The dice are the same, the "building a dice pool" is the same, the combat rules are the same. The main difference between the Core books is one has Obligation and the other has Duty. Another difference is races available, and these are expanded on in the splat (supplement) books in addition to having extra talent trees.

It's been my experience that allowing a mixture only allows for a more varied play experience as it varies the things available to the crew. It shouldn't add anything to the duty of GM, unless you don't trust someone when they say they have enough XP to buy that talent.

The weapons and ships that are available also follow the EXACT SAME RULES and thus just give a more varied pool to pull from.

Since this is not a "rebels" game, though, I would suggest that while any book can be used for race and/or specialization that we ONLY use the Obligation mechanic. If the game evolves in such a way that the PC's join the Rebellion Against the Empire then Duty can be added (that's the way both of my campaigns started - one has gone into SOME rebel activity while the other is too new - they are still trying to get out from under the "long arm of the hutt" :-) ).
Last edited February 5, 2015 2:42 pm
Feb 5, 2015 3:17 pm
Permissions are fixed in the sub forum. I'll reply to your other points over lunch break.
Feb 5, 2015 5:29 pm
I'be approved everyone's join requests for the game, so you guys should be able to post and vote now.
jimmylogan says:
As for the vote, I voted yes to allow, and I'd like to explain, GM to GM, why I think that's okay.

The core rules are the same - period. The dice are the same, the "building a dice pool" is the same, the combat rules are the same. The main difference between the Core books is one has Obligation and the other has Duty. Another difference is races available, and these are expanded on in the splat (supplement) books in addition to having extra talent trees.

It's been my experience that allowing a mixture only allows for a more varied play experience as it varies the things available to the crew. It shouldn't add anything to the duty of GM, unless you don't trust someone when they say they have enough XP to buy that talent.

The weapons and ships that are available also follow the EXACT SAME RULES and thus just give a more varied pool to pull from.
Thinking more about it, I agree that allowing all EoTE supplements is reasonable. My biggest concern is some talents in their tree form are vague, just look at Jury-Rigged for example, and require looking them up in their full form. So merely reading them from the talent tree can be complicated. To that end, I think I'll be adding a thread for people to post a list of resources at their disposal. That way we know what supplements are available to us.
jimmylogan says:
Since this is not a "rebels" game, though, I would suggest that while any book can be used for race and/or specialization that we ONLY use the Obligation mechanic. If the game evolves in such a way that the PC's join the Rebellion Against the Empire then Duty can be added (that's the way both of my campaigns started - one has gone into SOME rebel activity while the other is too new - they are still trying to get out from under the "long arm of the hutt" :-) ).
This is my primary concern. We're starting a game where the players aren't "rebels" and aren't skilled force users. For that matter, not everyone has major combat experience like the AoR classes focus on. So I do want to focus on EoTE and Obligation, and maybe if someone can justify it I'll allow using an AoR specialization. But those are more logical as secondary specializations for our game, in my opinion.
Feb 5, 2015 5:40 pm
jimmylogan says:
Have you played the system at all? It's my favorite RPG so far, and I'm an old guy. :-)
Its currently one of my favorite systems, in theme, in mechanics, and in play. It feels dramatic, just by dice rolls if nothing else.
Feb 5, 2015 8:55 pm
Keleth says:
jimmylogan says:
Its currently one of my favorite systems, in theme, in mechanics, and in play. It feels dramatic, just by dice rolls if nothing else.
:-) Very cool!

And Rust - I can go along with that for sure! I'm the same way when it comes to the Talents... If you don't have the book you don't have a full list of the talent, so you can't "use" it. (in my games, I mean)
Feb 5, 2015 9:15 pm
Hey - still won't let me start a thread... Was going to start something about a character idea and see if it meshes... Also figure can develop some backstory there.

And I'm at work right now and my books are in my truck. May can start tonight...
Feb 5, 2015 11:23 pm
jimmylogan says:
Hey - still won't let me start a thread... Was going to start something about a character idea and see if it meshes... Also figure can develop some backstory there.

And I'm at work right now and my books are in my truck. May can start tonight...
Strange, KennyGardnerIII was able to do so in the character forum. Try again when you get a chance (both the top-level game forum, and the subforum).

As to specializations, they're almost all open—especially since I've decided to open all the specializations up. That includes races/equipment/ships, etc. However I'll need to know who owns what supplements so that they can act as a reference for the rest of us.

Two hired guns would be useful. However, bear in mind that if the client were to get wounded, the only specializations with medicine as class skills are the Doctor and Mercenary Soldier. Plus we're talking bacta and alternatives, someone with a rank in medicine would come in handy no matter what.
Feb 6, 2015 12:01 am
I'll roll up a colonist/doctor (I borrowed a copy of the EotE book.)
Feb 6, 2015 12:05 am
Qralloq says:
I'll roll up a colonist/doctor (I borrowed a copy of the EotE book.)
Sweet! And with the right race/skills that could easily make you the party face right from the start.
Feb 6, 2015 12:33 am
Wow, I take one day off from the internet to pay rent and do grocery shopping and this thread EXPLPODES! Applied to the game. I'll get caught up hopefully later tonight. But right now it's dinner time!
Feb 6, 2015 12:47 am
EldritchFire says:
Wow, I take one day off from the internet to pay rent and do grocery shopping and this thread EXPLPODES! Applied to the game. I'll get caught up hopefully later tonight. But right now it's dinner time!
Tell me about it, it's been hard for me to keep up with. :D Welcome to the game... it's starting to get really interesting.
Feb 6, 2015 4:03 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong -

Roster thus far:

- mrmrlol: Smuggler/Pilot
- EldritchFire: ? + Universal/Force Sensitive Exile
- KennyGardnerIII: Hired Gun Type
- Qralloq: Doctor
- jimmylogan: ?

I can't find where Eldritch is going Force Sensitive... I see the posts about it being there, but is that what he's going for?

Just trying to decide how to round out the group... I'm fine going a little force, a little pilot, a little gunnery - just a more rounded character "Jack of All Trades" kind of thing (majoring in undecided). As someone with SOME pilot skill would be able to co-pilot as well as "plot course" and astrogation.

Could also play a splicer computer guy... Or a mech/slicer...
Feb 6, 2015 5:25 pm
EldritchFire asked about it in this post. So I've proceeded under the assumption he'd build a force sensitive.

Your roster is accurate to my knowledge.

Are you able to post in the game forum? You should have permissions for it.
Feb 6, 2015 6:23 pm
RustInPieces says:
Are you able to post in the game forum? You should have permissions for it.
Yes, I've commented on another player's build and I have the "new thread" option now.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.