Star Trek Adventure

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 24, 2021 12:58 am
Does anyone here place Star Trek Adventure? Is anyone interested?
Jun 24, 2021 1:10 am
I'd be interested, I've dabbled with the system a little bit.
Jun 24, 2021 1:29 am
Hmm.. thoughts to get beamed up.
Jun 24, 2021 5:28 am
What’s StarTrek Adventure? I mean I get the StarTrek part but it’s such a broad spectrum of time and such.

Len

Jun 24, 2021 5:49 am
Star Trek Adventures is a Star Trek ttrpg ruleset by Modiphius. Link to more information. I have not played it yet.
Jun 24, 2021 5:49 am
Someone tried to start a game last year, but we didn't get past chargen for a number of reasons. The Modiphius rules system looks interesting.
Jun 24, 2021 5:58 am
Still a valid question to ask about which era as that system explicitly supports both TOS and TNG era Trek
Jun 24, 2021 6:13 am
BedzoneII says:
Someone tried to start a game last year, but we didn't get past chargen for a number of reasons. The Modiphius rules system looks interesting.
I was in two games that did not get off the ground
Jun 24, 2021 6:18 am
Star Trek sits in a weird space (no pun intended) for an RPG. On the one hand, it's a very precise and technical setting that would lend itself to a more 'crunchy' system like the old FASA ST RPG game but it also plays fast and loose with action and plot and lend itself to something more casual and 'rule of cool' like the Mophidius' STAdventures rules. Players expecting one type of game are often disappointed when it turns out to be the other and with a mix of players Star Trek games often flounder.
The Mophidius' 2d20 rules for Star Trek Adventures covers a much more narritively driven game and is much less rules-driven than previous Star Trek RPG iterations. It's fun in a much more casual sense but does lend itself to a lot of plot stretching actions by players being possible. The one aspect I really liked out of the STA rules was the inclusion of the ship as a passive character in the story, something I think was missing from a lot of games with a ship/base as a focal point.
Jun 24, 2021 6:33 am
I'd be interested in joining a game. I have some experience with Modiphius' 2d20 system (the Dune 2d20 system) and have read parts of the STA rulebook, but never played it.
Last edited June 24, 2021 6:35 pm
Jun 24, 2021 6:51 am
I don't think a very crunchy system makes much sense for Star Trek. It's not a setting about strategic fights and firmly established rules of technology and weapons. It's just about stories and themes and I feel like a light system is more suited for that focus, personally.
But it's an interesting discussion, witchdoctor!
Jun 24, 2021 11:13 am
bowlofspinach says:
I don't think a very crunchy system makes much sense for Star Trek. It's not a setting about strategic fights and firmly established rules of technology and weapons. It's just about stories and themes and I feel like a light system is more suited for that focus, personally.
But it's an interesting discussion, witchdoctor!
Honestly, I think the level of crunch might be dependent on the era. TOS would definitely benefit from a more narritive and less crunchy system (due to the high weirdness factor if nothing else) whereas DS9 might be better suited to a more well defined and stricter set of rules given the difference in overall themes of the two shows. DS9 has a more grounded and consequential feel than TOS and that may be why I feel that way.
Trek games can be about big stories or small, grand adventures and personal development but it's definitely different things to different players and their preferences. Personally, I tend more towards the more 'grounded' feel of crunchy systems and the stories they generate. The last time I ran a Trek campaign it was in the vein of Starfleet Battles Prime Teams than the standard fare. I used Chaosium's base RPG system adapted to Trek to run it and it fared pretty well but I think that was because the players were all in the same page as far as game expectations.
Jun 24, 2021 11:46 am
I'm sure discussions about this can be had. I tend more towards lighter systems and I feel like a light system would also work far better for DS9 than a heavier one. Even the more militaristic episodes aren't really about the fighting, except as a theme
Jun 24, 2021 12:50 pm
Is this an interest check thread or a system discussion thread?
Jun 24, 2021 12:53 pm
Good point, thank you. That discussion is probably more suited to the Discord or a separate thread. Let's get back on topic.
Jun 24, 2021 12:55 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I'm sure discussions about this can be had. I tend more towards lighter systems and I feel like a light system would also work far better for DS9 than a heavier one. Even the more militaristic episodes aren't really about the fighting, except as a theme
Crunchy or Light systems are both valid points to start just about any game and neither has an inherent benefit over the other. As you tend towards lighter systems, I suppose I tend more towards crunchier ones and that's okay. As long as the gm and the players all gave fun with their selection, it's all good! The 2d20 Star Trek Adventures system should work pretty well for whatever the OP intends.
Jun 24, 2021 2:28 pm
I was more interested in what the setting would be. Was StarTrek ever crunchy? I didn't watch a lot of DS9 but seemed that in every other series the big problem was always solved in the last 5 minutes by someone reversing the polarity on something. =)
Jun 24, 2021 3:12 pm
Back on topic then. Are we looking for players and/or a GM?
Jun 24, 2021 3:29 pm
and is there a story or would you be building it?
Jun 24, 2021 5:59 pm
I am interested in the idea.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.