Factions in Appalachia for Savage Worlds

Jun 24, 2021 7:29 pm
I am working on a campaign setting with rule mechanics to use with Savage Worlds Adventure Deluxe Edition. Seeking advice about the best forum to get crowdfunding and also if anyone would recommend how to collaborate with others in the project. I generally like to design things on the fly, not all at once, and to do so through feedback from players who are interested in the development of the project. But then again, i like to keep design rights on stuff personally written. On the other hand if someone turned who was as passionate as i am about the setting ideas i would not mind coauthoring, as long as they also add a lot of stuff. Anyways, for now though crowdfunding is the main thing.

The main focus of design so far is on the use of factions and careers in the setting. Careers are a bit like a pint size version of frameworks, like in Savage Rifts. They are package deals on edges and hindrances, with permanent advantages on certain kinds of skill tasks. A bit like classes in DND or roles in cyberpunk. Factions is not a term that will be in the final draft; i have left out the wording that will be in it because that is part of the design concept. But, the idea is that a lot of the tasks in the game are focused on empowering or cutting back on the capacity of some kind of association or group of people. Characters do act alone but the effects of their actions are supported heavily by the faction they are part of and also people tend to react to them on that basis.

The main mechanic is that people can affect your spirit by calling on their god or the authority of their way of thinking, their science, their community supporters, or the like. This uses contested rolls from SWADE. Unlike other settings, using this does not only have a one time effect. It can lead to brainwashing or being converted, or some long term change in the character. It might also result from people calling you out for your moral violations, witchery, psionics, using peer pressure, and the temptations of pleasure or sin. Your career affects which version of this you can use. All this operates in addition to standard SWADE rules. Factions also have collective goals, and one way to fight with them is by making their members feel they are loosing. The game also takes place in low income locations where repair rolls and various grades of junk items are necessary if you want to own things. It is a cross between surviving and setting goals for your community.

As far as the role of other players, I am mainly interested in which parts of the mechanic they feel are enjoyable or too complex; and what is missing.

So, any suggestions about whether any of this looks like it has been partly done before and perhaps i should go and look at other designs to make sure i am not reinventing the wheel? Or, how would you go about getting players to contribute while they still enjoy their time.

best wishes, Anthony

You do not have permission to post in this thread.