*Closed* [Gumshoe One-2-One] Surreal Neo-Noir Duet

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 3, 2021 12:19 am
Game system: Gumshoe One-2-One. A narrative system for duets (GM and one player) focused on investigating mysteries. There is no need to own any rulebooks or be familiar with the system. It is very easy to learn and should be very well suited to the play by post format since all outcomes are decided in one roll (even combat, if it comes up). Link to my summary of the rules.

Genre: Surreal Neo-Noir Mystery.

David Lynch (Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr.) is the main source of inspiration for the tone and style of the games I hope to run.

What to expect?
Quirky characters, dreamlike narrative sequences, mundane horror, idyllic locales that are home to dark secrets and hidden dangers.

All of which are on display in the following clip from Lost Highway. The clip is spoiler free, for anyone that hasn't seen the movie, but it is mildly disturbing and contains some foul language.

The Pitch: You will play as a lone protagonist investigating a mystery in a world that is slowly turning into a waking nightmare.

This is not an advertisement for one specific game. I will periodically update this thread with new plot hooks I am interested in running using the Gumshoe one-2-one system. Each game is a separate entity. This is not a shared universe game and there will be no crossover between players. I will create a separate game for each duet. I am putting all plot hooks here, together in one post, because it makes more sense than creating three separate posts and a brand new post each time I come up with an idea for a new game using this same format. I don't want to spam the Games Tavern with my weird ideas.

The current offering of plot hooks includes:
[ +- ] Action Park
[ +- ] Sunflower Square
[ +- ] The Mysterious Ball of String
Content Warning: These games feature a Parental Advisory Warning. The games may contain strong language, graphic violence, body horror, mental illness, drug use, various criminal activities, and countless other disturbing things (both real and imagined).

The most graphic and disturbing stuff will be alluded to and happen off screen, but I don’t want anyone to be caught off guard. This is going to be a dark, weird, and potentially disturbing game.

Please let me know if you have any specific topics you would like to avoid and I will absolutely accommodate that.

Characters: Character requirements will vary based upon the specific mystery you are interested in solving. Some stories require you to play a private eye or an investigative journalist. All characters should be everyday people you could meet in the real world. No super powers or magical abilities.

LGBTQ+ and minority characters of all kinds are welcome.

Game Duration: Each game will last as long as it needs to last. This could be a few months. It could be a year or more. If you solve the mystery and are interested in continuing as the same character, there is always the option of diving down another rabbit hole.

Posting Frequency: It is a one-on-one game, so we play at your pace. Ideally, I am looking for players that post 4+ times per week.

I am only available to post in the evenings (EST), but on a good night I might be able to respond multiple times. I try to make myself available to respond a minimum of 6 times per week (roughly once per day, with an average of 1 day per week where I am too busy).

How to Apply: Post here or PM me. Let me know which mystery you are interested in playing, what your desired posting frequency is, and the type of character you have in mind.

I am only looking for one or two players to start off with but will keep any additional interested individuals in mind when I am ready to launch a new game of Gumshoe one-2-one.
Last edited July 3, 2021 1:55 pm
Jul 3, 2021 1:09 am
Oh my, this sounds amazing. I have Cthulhu Confidential and love the scenario designs in it. I'd love to play either the video-tape scenario or the amusement park one. The video one edges it out, but only slightly. I don't have a particular character concept yet, but wanted to express interest if only to encourage others to take up this offer if I'm not selected. :)
Last edited July 3, 2021 1:09 am
Jul 3, 2021 2:05 am
This does sound interesting. I really like the amusement park idea.
Jul 3, 2021 5:45 am
Ohhh I've always wanted to actually play in a Gumshoe game. Sunflower Square sounds great to me!
Jul 3, 2021 1:53 pm
Thank you to everyone that expressed interest. I have opened up two games, sent out invites, and will be reaching out to everyone else down the road when I feel ready to open additional games.
Jul 3, 2021 2:56 pm
I'm glad you had some good interest. That ball of string hook is just....*chef's kiss*. It's exactly the kind of pointless ridiculousness that would be great to flesh out to evolve into something bigger or darker or higher staked.

Have fun, looks great!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.